Max Distance & Time Til Sky Nearly Black

• Thread starter Charlie G
  • Start date
In summary, the maximum distance we will ever be able to see an object is determined by the cosmic microwave background, which marks the furthest point that light and matter have separated in the early universe. This distance is continuously increasing as we look further out in space and back in time. The sky will not become black due to expansion, but rather due to the eventual burnout of stars in our galaxy. The merger of our galaxy with Andromeda is estimated to happen in about a billion years. The expansion of space does not affect distances within a few thousand light years, but rather the distance to remote galaxies. The maximum distance at which an object can be visible is determined by the point at which space expands faster than the speed of light,
Charlie G
I was wondering, since the universe is expanding, what is the maximum distance that we will ever be able to see any object?

Also, how long do we have before the sky becomes nearly black?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
At the moment 46.5 billion light years*
The 'furthest' object you can see is the cosmic microwave background. This is the point at which light and matter separated in the early universe so you can't see further back than this because there was no light.
So ironically the 'edge of the universe' (if you like) isn't black but white (at least in the microwave band).

The limit isn't so much distance as time - as we look further out, we are looking further back in time.
There is a distance before the first stars formed where you could consider it black in the visible.

*The rate that this is increasing depends on the cosmological model of the day so is a little complicated to work out.

Charlie G said:

Our galaxy is not expanding. We are surrounded by stars and they are not thinning out.
For the sky to become starless, we would have to wait until most of the stars in our neighborhood burn out (and the formation of new stars ends)

So your question has nothing to do with expansion.

The way to answer it would be to look up wikipedia facts about stellar lifetimes.

Actually our galaxy is scheduled to merge with the large Andromeda galaxy. That should be pretty exciting. The sun and planets might accidentally be ejected from the main merger bulk by some fluke, some largescale gravitational slingshot effect. If not we might find ourselves surrounded by more stars than before.

I forget how long before the merger happens. Maybe something on the order of a billion years. Definitely something to look forward to.

Anyway, expansion is real enough, but it affects the distances to remote galaxies, not distances like a few thousand lightyears! So the sky will remain beautiful at least until the combined stars of Milky and Andromeda burn themselves out.

Charlie G said:
Sorry, I took that to mean - how far out do we have to look for everything to be black.

Charlie G said:
...what is the maximum distance that we will ever be able to see any object?...

I'm curious. What distance do you mean? The distance away the object was back THEN when the light left it and started towards us?

Or the distance away the object is NOW on the day when the light gets here and scoots down the telescope?

For hands-on definiteness you should take an example? Like suppose you see a galaxy today that has redshift z = 4. How far away was it when the light left? How far is it now?
To find out, google "wright calculator" and type in 4 and press the button.

the distance then is what Ned Wright calls angular size distance.
the distance now is what he calls comoving radial distance.

Check it out.
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/CosmoCalc.html

mgb_phys said:
Sorry, I took that to mean - how far out do we have to look for everything to be black.

I thought your response was informed and helpful--I wouldn't contradict what you said, just add more information of a different sort. AFAICS everything you said was correct.

Thanks for the replies! What I mean by asking how far is the distance that is the maximum that an object can be visible is, how far is the point at which space expands faster than light between us and an object? Making it impossible for the objects light to ever reach us.

Charlie G said:
Thanks for the replies! What I mean by asking how far is the distance that is the maximum that an object can be visible is, how far is the point at which space expands faster than light between us and an object? Making it impossible for the objects light to ever reach us.

Have a look at the Lineweaver SciAm article in my signature----where it says "princeton.edu".

There is a fine point here. Most of the galaxies we can see today were receding faster than light (the distance to the galaxy was increasing at a rate greater than c) at the time that the light left them and began its journey to us. And nevertheless the light still got here!

Thanks for the help marcus:)

1. What is meant by "Max Distance & Time Til Sky Nearly Black"?

The term "Max Distance & Time Til Sky Nearly Black" refers to the maximum distance and time that it takes for the sky to become nearly black, typically at the end of the day when the sun has set.

2. How is the max distance and time til sky nearly black calculated?

The max distance and time til sky nearly black is calculated by taking into account the position of the sun, the Earth's rotation, and the scattering of light in the atmosphere. It can also vary depending on factors such as weather and location.

3. Why is it important to know the max distance and time til sky nearly black?

Knowing the max distance and time til sky nearly black can be useful for various reasons. It can help with predicting the best time for stargazing or taking photographs of the night sky. It can also be used in astronomy and atmospheric science to better understand the Earth's rotation and the behavior of light in the atmosphere.

4. Can the max distance and time til sky nearly black be different in different locations?

Yes, the max distance and time til sky nearly black can vary in different locations due to factors such as latitude, altitude, and weather conditions. For example, locations closer to the equator may have a shorter time til sky nearly black compared to locations closer to the poles.

5. How does the max distance and time til sky nearly black change throughout the year?

The max distance and time til sky nearly black can change throughout the year due to the Earth's tilt, which affects the position of the sun. This can result in longer or shorter days and nights, thus affecting the max distance and time til sky nearly black. Additionally, weather patterns can also play a role in the changing distance and time.