Calculating Distance Using Work-Energy Theorem

• Thread starter kylejustin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Slide
In summary: The car's mass is "m" and the friction force between it and the road is "half the cars weight" or "(1/2)mg". So, the work done by the friction is (1/2)mgd.
kylejustin
I am stuck on the last problem for my homework. It seems to me like the problem doesn't have enough information to complete. I'd really appreciate any tips.

A car traveling along a level road as a speed V slams on the brakes and skids to a stop. If the force of friction on the car is half the car’s weight, how far does the car slide? (Hint: Use work-energy theorem and solve for d)

OK, so I know the following:

W=Fd

KE=1/2mv^2

Work=Change in KE

To use the work energy theorem, I need to know the KE. The find the KE, I meed to know either the mass of velocity. The problem tells me that the force of friction is 1/2 the car's weight, but that still doesn't give me any numbers to work with. This is where I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take note that we DO have a homework section. Do not post these in the main Physics section.

Zz.

It is common to want to work with numbers but here, as is often the case, it is better to work the problem out with symbols and plug the numbers in in the last step. Keep the car's mass as "m". By the time the problem is over (which is not a long time) the "m" will cancel out and you will have your answer.

W = Fd
KE = 1/2mv^2

Work = Change in KE

The change in KE is asking for the derivative of KE, because change over time is another application of the derivative. The derivative d/dv for (1/2)mv^2 is Change in KE = mv

Therefore you can plug the change in KE into the final equation

mv = Fd and solve for d.

First, thanks for the tips, but I just am not getting it. Is my final answer going to be a number?

It won't be a number, it will be an expression in terms of the given speed V and the acceleration due to gravity, g.

Do you know how to express the friction force in terms of m and g? Once you do its sraight foward to set the work equal to the change in kinetic energy and solve for d.
willworkforfood said:
The change in KE is asking for the derivative of KE, because change over time is another application of the derivative. The derivative d/dv for (1/2)mv^2 is Change in KE = mv
The change in KE is not the derivative of the KE. The rate of change of KE with respect to some other variable would be the derivative, but not the total change.

Since the car has an initial speed of v, its initial kinetic energy is (1/2)mv2. When it stops (v= 0) its kinetic energy is (1/2)m02= 0. Okay, the work done (by the friction) must be (1/2)mv2.

You are told that the friction force is "half the cars weight" which is (1/2)mg. (g= 9.81 m/s2.) You find the work done by integrating force time distance which with constant force is "force times distance" or (1/2)mgd. If (1/2)mgd= (1/2)mv2, what is d?

What factors affect the distance a car slides?

The distance a car slides is affected by the speed of the car, the type of surface it is driving on, the condition of the tires, the weight of the car, and the presence of any obstacles or inclines.

How do you calculate the distance a car slides?

The distance a car slides can be calculated using the formula d = 1/2 * u^2 * μ * g, where d is the distance, u is the initial velocity, μ is the coefficient of friction, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. However, this calculation may vary depending on the specific situation and other factors may need to be taken into account.

Is there a maximum distance a car can slide?

Yes, there is a maximum distance a car can slide. This is determined by the factors mentioned above, as well as the braking system of the car. Once the brakes are fully engaged, the car will come to a stop and will no longer slide.

How can you reduce the distance a car slides?

To reduce the distance a car slides, you can decrease the speed, ensure the tires are in good condition, and avoid driving on slippery or uneven surfaces. Additionally, maintaining a safe following distance and being aware of potential obstacles can also help decrease the distance a car slides.

Can the distance a car slides be predicted with 100% accuracy?

No, the distance a car slides cannot be predicted with 100% accuracy. There are many variables that can affect the distance, and it may vary in different situations. Additionally, human error and unexpected events can also impact the distance a car slides.