1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How far does the piston move

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The figure shows a 50 kg lead cylindrical piston that floats on 0.68 mol of compressed air at 30°C. How far does the piston move if the temperature is increased to 300°C? (the base of the beaker is 10cm.

A)130 cm B)1300 cm C)120 cm D)250 cm

2. Relevant equations

?
    3. The attempt at a solution

no clue

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2009 #2
    Re: Pressure/pistons

Think "Energy Balance"

Can you relate the internal energy change due to [itex]\Delta T[/itex] to the work needed to raise the piston?

4. Jun 9, 2009 #3

is this a proper equation U= W+Q?

5. Jun 9, 2009 #4

Yes. That is the "Energy Balance" for a thermodynamic system.

Now, what do each of the three terms represent?

6. Jun 9, 2009 #5

internal energy= work + heat, and since temperature increases, internal energy increases also?

7. Jun 9, 2009 #6

Yes. Internal energy in a direct measure of the temperature change, you should have read somewhere that:

[itex]\Delta U=mc\Delta T[/itex] (or something similar depending whether it is a per mass basis or molecular basis) and that [itex]W=\int p\, dV[/itex]

8. Jun 9, 2009 #7

ok so i have mass and change of T, how do i find C, also what do i do once i have change of U

9. Jun 9, 2009 #8

Generally, values of specific heat are tabulated in your text.

You tell me. What about your Work term? Your heat term Q is zero (I am assuming you can see why).

What is the work here? Can you find distance the piston travels using the Work term?

Hint: You were given area.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook