How does temperature affect the volume of air?

• Thread starter bigboss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Piston
In summary, the problem involves a lead cylindrical piston floating on compressed air at a certain temperature. The task is to determine the distance the piston will move when the temperature is increased to 300°C. The equation to use is the "Energy Balance" equation, where the internal energy change due to the temperature change is equal to the work needed to raise the piston. The specific heat can be found in the textbook and the heat term is assumed to be zero. By using the work term, which involves the given area, the distance the piston will travel can be calculated.
bigboss

Homework Statement

The figure shows a 50 kg lead cylindrical piston that floats on 0.68 mol of compressed air at 30°C. How far does the piston move if the temperature is increased to 300°C? (the base of the beaker is 10cm.

A)130 cm B)1300 cm C)120 cm D)250 cm

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

no clue

Physics news on Phys.org

Think "Energy Balance"

Can you relate the internal energy change due to [itex]\Delta T[/itex] to the work needed to raise the piston?

is this a proper equation U= W+Q?

Yes. That is the "Energy Balance" for a thermodynamic system.

Now, what do each of the three terms represent?

internal energy= work + heat, and since temperature increases, internal energy increases also?

Yes. Internal energy in a direct measure of the temperature change, you should have read somewhere that:

[itex]\Delta U=mc\Delta T[/itex] (or something similar depending whether it is a per mass basis or molecular basis) and that [itex]W=\int p\, dV[/itex]

ok so i have mass and change of T, how do i find C, also what do i do once i have change of U

Generally, values of specific heat are tabulated in your text.

also what do i do once i have change of U

You tell me. What about your Work term? Your heat term Q is zero (I am assuming you can see why).

What is the work here? Can you find distance the piston travels using the Work term?

Hint: You were given area.

1. How does the length of the piston affect its movement?

The length of the piston directly affects how far it can move. The longer the piston, the farther it can travel within the cylinder.

2. What factors influence the distance the piston can move?

The distance the piston can move is influenced by the stroke length, cylinder bore size, and the amount of force applied by the engine.

3. Is there a limit to how far a piston can move?

Yes, there is a limit to how far a piston can move. This limit is determined by the length of the cylinder and the length of the piston itself.

4. How do you calculate the travel distance of a piston?

The travel distance of a piston can be calculated by multiplying the stroke length by the number of revolutions the engine makes in a certain amount of time.

5. Can the movement of a piston be changed?

Yes, the movement of a piston can be changed by altering the stroke length, cylinder bore size, and the amount of force applied by the engine. These adjustments can be made to optimize engine performance for different purposes.