How far have they delved into String and M- Theory?

In summary: They could easily be disproven without ever having to carry out an experiment.In summary, string theory has made some important predictions that are currently being tested by the LHC. If these predictions are confirmed, it would be a very strong proof for string theory.
QuantumDefect
Im curious to see how far physicists have delved both into Superstring Theory and M-theory? Have they gotten the exact equations of both theories yet? And has an equation of both theories presented itself yet that has some hope of becoming the one inch equations that physicists want to find?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not expert on this, so I'll just try to share what I have learned about string theory. As far as I know, the exact equations of M-Theory have not been found yet (i.e. there is not yet a complete description of the theory). I think that once M-Theory will be fully understood it will lead to the one-inch equation that physicists are after. Also, I have come to understand that lately string theory has jumped the barrier of being "unfalsifiable" and now makes some predictions which can be verified experimentally. In an interview posted with Witten on these boards I read that Witten said one of string theory's most important predictions was that supersymmetry existed and therefore if the LHC at CERN proves the existence of these supersymmetric particles it could definitely be a very strong proof for string theory. Also, another of the aims of the LHC is to discover some of the 7 other hidden dimensions, which would provide another strong proof for string theory.

Recently, I came across a news article stating that Yale scientists had also found a way to test string theory. This is the link to it:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/05/040513010734.htm

Just as a question, it seems that quite a few people on these boards believe string theory is unfalsifiable, but with these experiments that can't be claimed anymore?

Just as another point, in one of Michio Kaku's articles on his website, "M-Theory: The Mother of All Superstrings" it makes a point stating that the obstacle M-Theory faces is that the theory has to be solved non-perturbatively and then it can reduce to a theory about different particles such as electrons, protons and atoms for which there is already a large amount of experimental data.

not a falsifiable prediction of string theory

Read the article carefully:

"Easther stressed it is a long shot that string theory might leave measurable effects on the microwave background"

string theory doesn't predict the size of these effects since you don't even know the string scale. As the author says, it is unlikely you will ever see these effects, and you certainly can't falsify string theory by not observing them.

Curious6 said:
In an interview posted with Witten on these boards I read that Witten said one of string theory's most important predictions was that supersymmetry existed and therefore if the LHC at CERN proves the existence of these supersymmetric particles it could definitely be a very strong proof for string theory.

Supersymmetry is not a prediction of string theory. It was an idea that developed independently. String theory happens to require supersymmetry, but not the other way around.

And as stated by notevenwrong, most (all?) predictions are extremely vague.

1. How does String Theory explain the fundamental forces of nature?

String Theory proposes that all particles and forces in the universe are made up of tiny, vibrating strings. The different vibrational patterns of these strings give rise to the various particles and forces we observe, thus unifying the four fundamental forces of nature - gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

2. What is the difference between String Theory and M-Theory?

String Theory is a specific theory that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of particles and forces in the universe. M-Theory, or "Membrane Theory," is a more recent development that expands on String Theory by proposing that there are not just strings, but also higher-dimensional objects called "branes" that play a role in the universe.

3. How has research into String and M-Theory advanced our understanding of the universe?

The study of String and M-Theory has led to new insights and connections between seemingly unrelated areas of physics. It has also provided a potential framework for reconciling quantum mechanics and general relativity, two of the most fundamental theories in physics. Additionally, it has inspired new mathematical techniques and opened up new avenues for experimental testing.

4. Are there any potential limitations or criticisms of String and M-Theory?

Some scientists have raised concerns about the lack of experimental evidence for String and M-Theory, as they currently remain untested. The theories also require the existence of extra dimensions, which have not been observed in our universe. Additionally, there are ongoing debates about the validity and predictiveness of these theories.

5. How far have scientists delved into String and M-Theory?

While research into String and M-Theory has been ongoing for several decades, there is still much to be explored and understood. Scientists continue to develop new mathematical frameworks and explore potential implications of these theories on our understanding of the universe. There is also ongoing research into potential experimental tests that could provide evidence for these theories.