Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How far is too far?

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    I knew there was a reason I wanted to be a physics Prof...

http://news.yahoo.com/columbia-prof-strips-shows-9-11-tape-during-021232869.html

I got my undergraduate degree from Sonoma State University (SSU) in California back in the 90's. SSU was popularly known as "Granola U" in the California State University system for its liberal hippiesh ideals, just on par with Humboldt university not too far away.

I remember this one anecdote where an art instructor was fired for having his students produce "butt prints" in class, whereby they dropped their pants, sat in paint, and then "printed" their art on construction paper laid out on the floor. This was a big deal because the Granola U'ers thought this was protected as freedom of expression in the educational system.

But how far is too far. Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2
    Two feet past the edge of a cliff is too farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr splat!

4. Feb 19, 2013 #3
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

5. Feb 19, 2013 #4
    It's amazing to see how easily you guys are entertained...

6. Feb 19, 2013 #5
    LOL. Touche..

7. Feb 19, 2013 #6
    From the article: http://news.yahoo.com/columbia-prof-...021232869.html [Broken]

I wouldn't recommend hiring this guy as a private tutor for your daughter's college physics course...:eek:

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Feb 20, 2013 #7
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zdjfRQRHeE

Here is the video, interesting approach but not sure about the effectiveness at actually doing anything besides inducing embarrassment.

9. Feb 20, 2013 #8
    Great find Jarwulf. I can't believe I just watched the stupidest thing I've ever seen. After all that falderall, he comes out talking like a woose. What was the point of all that? And did I hear him say the entire treatment of QM was going to be in that one hour class? Bizzarro..

The most pathetic thing of all is I think he borrowed his "mojo" performance from that scene in Oliver Stone's "The Doors" where Jim showed his amateur work in film class, Nazi's included. At the end of that showing, Jim said, "I quit." I wonder if at the end of Hughes, performance, they say, "you're fired."

10. Feb 20, 2013 #9
  11. Feb 20, 2013 #10
    That stripping professor guy is all over the internet this week! There is a news aggregate website I frequently read and the comments are "that guy is so edgy, what a great professor", but I would hate to be in that class. Less stupid presentation, more physics please.

12. Feb 20, 2013 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Soon, something like this will appear on The Big Bang Theory.

Zz.

13. Feb 20, 2013 #12

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

It already has in some form my good man :smile: although I don't know how much homotopy and homology theory freshman at Columbia know ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiSGsHT1vLo

14. Feb 20, 2013 #13
    I was just about to post that. Curse you WBN!

/Leibniz Rules!

15. Feb 20, 2013 #14

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Oh heck no you di - int. Be jealous of my superior youtubing abilities mortal!

16. Feb 20, 2013 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Quantum Mechanics, Explained by Interpretive Dance". Hmm.

What's next, "Maritime Law, in Haiku"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook