1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How far must the mass fall to give a rotational rate of 3 rev/s?

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A whee and axle having a total moment of inertia of .0002 kg*m^2 is caused to rotate about a horizontal axis by means of an 800g mass attached to a cord wrapped around the axle. The radius of the axle is 2 cm. Starting from rest, how far must the mass fall to give the wheel a rotational rate of 3.0 rev/s?

I changed all the values here to 800g -> 8 kg
    2 cm -> .02 m
    3 rev/s -> 6pi rad/s

2. Relevant equations

ωi = 0, ωf= 6pi rad/s

Downward force on the object would be mgh- Ft, but the problem doesn't mention tension at all so I don't know about using that equation.

I can figure out v, if I use v=rw, but I don't know if that's even useful to this problem.

KE total = 1/2 mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2 is likely going to be important, but I have no clue how it would relate to figuring out the height this thing has to fall.

3. The attempt at a solution

^ Above is the thought process of the equations. Otherwise, I haven't got a clue.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted