How far to the nearest hundreth cm, does the tip of the hour hand on a clock move

• MHB
  • Thread starter dtippitt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clock hand
This can be calculated using the arc length formula $s = r\theta$, where $r$ is the radius and $\theta$ is the central angle in radians. In this case, $\theta = \frac{\pi}{2}$, so the arc length is $s = 2 \cdot \frac{\pi}{2} = \pi \approx 3.14$ cm. Therefore, the tip of the hour hand moves approximately 3.14 cm in 3 hours.
dtippitt
How far to the nearest hundreth cm, does the tip of the hour hand on a clock move in exactly 3 hours if the hour had is 2.00 cm long?

I think you are supposed to use arc length formula.

This is what I got so far:

s=r(radian symbol) = 3=1(radian symbol)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Possible trignomery and distance formula

dtippitt said:
How far to the nearest hundreth cm, does the tip of the hour hand on a clock move in exactly 3 hours if the hour had is 2.00 cm long?

I think you are supposed to use arc length formula.

This is what I got so far:

s=r(radian symbol) = 3=1(radian symbol)

the hour hand of an analog clock moves 1/12 of a revolution in one hour.

one revolution is 2pi radians

$s = r \cdot \theta$

take it from here?

dtippitt said:

In 3 hours, the hour hand turns through a right angle, i.e. a quarter of a circle. What is a quarter of the circumference of a circle of radius 2 cm?

1. What is the distance in centimeters that the tip of the hour hand moves on a clock?

The distance that the tip of the hour hand moves on a clock depends on the size of the clock and the length of the hour hand. On a standard 12-hour clock with a 10 cm long hour hand, the tip moves approximately 52.4 cm in one hour. However, this distance may vary for different types of clocks.

2. How do you calculate the distance that the tip of the hour hand moves on a clock?

To calculate the distance, you will need to know the length of the hour hand and the circumference of the clock face. The formula for calculating the distance is:
Distance = (2 x π x radius) x (hour hand length / 12)

3. Why does the tip of the hour hand move in a circular motion?

The tip of the hour hand moves in a circular motion because it is attached to a central point (the clock's axis) and rotates around it. This circular motion is due to the clock's mechanism, which is designed to move the hands in a circular motion to show the time accurately.

4. Does the distance that the tip of the hour hand moves change based on the time of day?

No, the distance that the tip of the hour hand moves remains the same regardless of the time of day. The hour hand moves at a constant rate, so the distance it travels in one hour will always be the same.

5. Can the distance that the tip of the hour hand moves be converted to other units of measurement?

Yes, the distance that the tip of the hour hand moves can be converted to other units of measurement, such as inches or meters. This can be done by using the appropriate conversion factors for the specific unit of measurement.