How far will you slide if you fall off a skateboard?

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding how to solve problems involving friction without any given numbers. One suggestion is to conduct experiments by skateboarding and measuring data, rather than making assumptions. The importance of variables such as surface of the ground, center of mass, and speed is also mentioned. The higher the speed, the greater the impact force and stopping distance. The conversation ends with a humorous mention of putting an odometer on one's face shield to measure the effects of friction.
ebola_virus
the question is the topic, but I am sorri i don't have any numbers i can deal with, because we're just supposed to demonstrate that we understand how we solve htese porblems. unfortunately, I don't. could anyone just give me random numbers and tell me how to olve this question? thanks. I am gussing it involves frictiona dn all... any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by ebola_virus
the question is the topic, but I am sorri i don't have any numbers i can deal with, because we're just supposed to demonstrate that we understand how we solve htese porblems. unfortunately, I don't. could anyone just give me random numbers and tell me how to olve this question? thanks. I am gussing it involves frictiona dn all... any suggestions?

Easy this one...

Scientists do experiments don't they? Borrow a skateboard and protective gear, and go skateboarding. Take a tape measure and get some data. This is a FAR better method than making many, many assumptions and then trying to calculate something.

Then analyse your data and make some conclusions.

i know this is an old post, but just remember about the surface of the ground you are sliding on, combined with the part of you or your pads you are sliding on. This is a variable of friction and your momentum. Also, your center of mass upon the fall (beginning of the slide) will help govern your rate of decceleration. If you are on your knees at the beginning of the fall, you will slide farther, if you are on your feet at the beginning of the fall and your body slams downward, your slide will be shorter and therefore exert more impact force (upward) on your body. Hopefully, you will not slide at all and instead conserve your potential sliding energy by putting in some work (combined with cat like reflexes) and roll your body to a hault, injury free.

The furthest I ever slid after falling off a skateboard was about eight feet in shorts on rough asphalt scattered with pebbles and a little bit of broken glass when I was 12 years old.
The result was a chewed up nasty right thigh (about 1 foot long and 5 inche wide road rash) that remained there for about 6 months.
I was traveling down a 23° (approximate) downgrade at probably 20 mph.
At the time I weighed no more than 98 pounds.

The high friction of the ground was counteracted by my light weight, high rate of speed, narrow angle of approach (I hit a rock and was thrown forward a good 5 or 6 feet before making contact) and the relatively low friction of my bare thigh.

interesting to think about how your fall might have had worse consequences if you were actually going 10 mph instead of 20mph due to the increased ratio of your speed=directional momentum(forward) vs. gravitationally induced road impact potential energy...

Delta x = [tex]v_o t - 1/2at^2[/tex]

a = coefficient of sliding friction times g

Total stopping distance is inversely proportional to the coefficient of friction, and proportional to the square of the initial velocity. Ask adrian, he checks this occasionally. I was thinking of putting an odometer on my face shield. Boy.. friction is hot ain't it?
Cheers,
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How far will I slide if I fall off a skateboard?

The distance you will slide after falling off a skateboard depends on various factors such as your speed, the surface you are falling on, and your body weight. On a smooth surface, you can slide for several feet, but on a rough surface, you may stop sooner.

2. Can I control how far I slide after falling off a skateboard?

In most cases, you will not be able to control how far you slide after falling off a skateboard. However, you can reduce the distance by rolling onto your side or back and spreading your weight to increase friction with the ground.

3. Is it better to slide or roll when falling off a skateboard?

It is generally better to slide than to roll when falling off a skateboard. Rolling can cause serious injuries as your body weight puts pressure on your joints and bones. Sliding reduces the impact and distributes your weight more evenly.

4. How can I prevent injuries when falling off a skateboard?

The best way to prevent injuries when falling off a skateboard is to wear protective gear such as a helmet, knee pads, and elbow pads. These will absorb some of the impact and reduce the risk of serious injuries.

5. What should I do after falling off a skateboard?

If you fall off a skateboard, the first thing you should do is assess yourself for any injuries. If you feel any pain or discomfort, seek medical attention. Even if you do not feel injured, it is important to monitor yourself for any symptoms that may arise later. Additionally, take some time to rest and recover before getting back on your skateboard.