Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How far

1. Sep 24, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

How far back can you trace your ancestors ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2005 #2
    3 Generations on my father's side and just one generation on my mother's side.

4. Sep 24, 2005 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Back during high school, one of the activities we once did was to do look some geneology thing or something.

I dated mine back to 1750's, where they immigrated from France. I have no idea what happens before that.

5. Sep 24, 2005 #4
    I have traced back both sides from when they came to the US. Mom's side about 100 years ago, dad's side about mayflower time.

6. Sep 24, 2005 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can trace one branch of my family back to about 1620 in Normandy.

I got lucky. A couple of my relatives (indirect line) settled Guernsey County in Ohio when Ohio was first opened up for settlement. Lots of relatives (including a couple my direct ancestors) from Guernsey Island, of the British Channel Islands, moved to Guernsey County in the US soon after. An historian did the genealogy of Guernsey Island residents, so I had nearly 200 years of that branch of my family tree in one swoop.

The other branches have been tougher. I traced one to the Schleswig-Holstein region of Denmark/Germany back prior to 1700 (the earliest birth date I have on that branch is 1701 - I have the parents names, but no other info - it's probably safe to assume both were born sometime before 1700). I was corresponding with my dad's cousin (they went to high school together) and she hooked me up with a relative that had paid to have someone trace her Danish ancestors - even though we were pretty distant relatives we had a lot of overlap by time you get that far back.

Besides those two branches, I've usually reached a dead-end in Europe with, at best, maybe the birth dates and places of the parents of the first in that line to immigrate to the US.

The earliest family born in the US that I've found is back to 1810 (I reached a dead-end in Pittsburgh and couldn't trace them back further than that).

7. Sep 24, 2005 #6
    My mother{Cherokee/Shawnee}, traces her family back to the first cedar tree. While my Father{Norse} claims to come from Elfin stock.

8. Sep 24, 2005 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

About 300 years on my Mom's side (settled PA in the late 1600s) and 150 on my dad's.

9. Sep 24, 2005 #8
    a few generations on my dad's side, too far to count on my mothers.

10. Sep 24, 2005 #9

JamesU

Gold Member

I traced myself back to god's family. I'm that good...

11. Sep 24, 2005 #10
    god's family?

12. Sep 24, 2005 #11

Mk

No, God's family. You know, his son, his innocent little stepchildren. He thinks they're angels, but you don't know what they do behind his back. One's a rebel. What a punk!

13. Sep 24, 2005 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Heh! We know the truth. You gave up tracing your family once you reached the grandmother that died in infancy. :rolleyes:

14. Sep 25, 2005 #13

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I work in a history library with a busy genaeology section, alongside a very talented genaeologist, so if I set my mind to it, I could trace them pretty damn far I reckon, but since I spend half of my time tracing other people's, it would be too much like being at work.

15. Sep 25, 2005 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

On my mother's side, to Harald Hairfair (Eric Bloodaxe's dad), Norway's first king.

16. Sep 25, 2005 #15

Lisa!

Gold Member

As far as I know, No where is mentioned that Jesus got married or had children, so you must be Jesus not his family! :wink:

17. Sep 25, 2005 #16
    i have traced my history to 53 geneartions. every person in nepal can trace himself till that point, we can buy a book on that. it cost . i am a decendant of sage "atri". well, it could be false, but it is worth beliving.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  18. Sep 25, 2005 #17

JamesU

Gold Member

yeah the virgin mary...

19. Sep 25, 2005 #18

wolram

Gold Member

Two people on PFs close to rolalty, wow.

20. Sep 25, 2005 #19
    Wasn't there a lot of inbreeding with royalty? Not meaning to say anything about anyone....just asking.

21. Sep 25, 2005 #20
    There sure was Townsend, but hey, if its ok for the south, its ok for everyone :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?