Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How fast can you type?

1. Jan 5, 2006 #1
    (Damn it! I just broke my only good keyboard with an arch, the "N" key is broken somehow. So I can probably only do 110 or so now. The proper arch is VERY important) If I can figure out how to print the screen I will

How fast can you type on a standard, QWERTY keyboard?

Dear Kevin ,

Thank you for assessing your typing skills with
    the free TypingMaster Online Test - and welcome back
    to www.TypingTest.com.

Here are your full test results:

- Test Name: Tigers in the Wild
    - Date: 2006-01-04 15:32
    - Test Time: 01:00
    - Gross Speed: 127 WPM
    - Errors: 6
    - Accuracy: 95%

- NET SPEED: 121 WPM

Do you need to prove your typing skills to
    improve your employment opportunities?

Complete a certified typing test and get a
    hardcopy Typing Skills Certificate with
    your test results by mail.

For more information click here:

> http://www.TypingTest.com/certificate/

If you want to perfect your typing skills and save
    your valuable time try out the professional
    TypingMaster typing tutor.

To download a free demo, click here:

> http://www.TypingMaster.com/tutor

Best Regards,

TypingMaster Team

If you consider this email an unsolicited spam
    email, please click here to contact us:

No virus found in this incoming message.
    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
    Version: 7.1.371 / Virus Database: 267.14.12/220 - Release Date:

The problem with this keyboard? I don't know. The keys are very hard to type on, and it makes me do alot of errors. I'm very, very sick of it. And I'm heartbroken my only good keyboard (That ive' had for 5 years+) broken all of a sudden, for no reason. It was working today at 6 AM. I went to bed, woke up at 3 PM, my mom said it didn't work (the n key).

Bummer. I can probably do 110 on this keyboard, but I will make alot more errors since it doesn't have an arch.

I'm 17, was addicted to an online MMORPG MUD based game called Gemstone III (Now GemtsoneIV) www.play.net/gs4

Got banned after 4 years. Learned to type when I was 7 though, with a program called "Read, write, and type" I may be able to (with alot more practice and a different keyboard type) be able to be one of the worlds fastest typers.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2006 #2
    'Since basically everyone on this forum doubts me and thinks I said I'm some super intelligent genius (Which I never, ever said) I'm sure people will doubt I can type this fast.'
    Why do you assume others make an immediate link between ingelligence and fast typing? That's an insult to their intelligence. If you don't, and it's sarcasm, then it is a barb inciting them. Either way, it's not a very smart move.
    Fast typing is more a result of practice than intelligence. However, it is still a valuable skill and you should be proud of it. :smile:
  4. Jan 5, 2006 #3
    I'm proud to say I can type about as fast as I think: about ten words a minute.
  5. Jan 5, 2006 #4
    Much faster than me, my net speed was only 60wpm.
  6. Jan 5, 2006 #5

Gold Member

I keep falling asleep.... i think i have ADD.
  7. Jan 5, 2006 #6

Huh? Since when did I equate intelligence with typing? That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard on tihs forum! Heh, you people keep thinking of the oddest things. I just said that everyone here thinks I said I'm some child prodigy (which I never mentioned, just asked simple questions about what was talent, for example, playing by ear. Everyone told me everyone else could do that, which wasn't true. Every other forum ive asked this question people do NOT agree with you people.)

which I never once said I was.

Therefore, do me a favor please

Any thread that I mention myself, or how fast I can type (in conjunection with a question, like this one) people make odd-ball comments like that, etc. However, looka ta ll the other threads where I didn't mention myself, big difference.

I'm going to edit this post because whenever I mention myself, or anything, it goes sour.
  8. Jan 5, 2006 #7

Gold Member

Hmmm i only got 106 adjusted... guess i've slowed down over the years... obviously WPM is not related to intelligence :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  9. Jan 5, 2006 #8
    There isn't really a meaningful classical description of how fast I type, you need to take into account special relativity. For example, the classical redshift equations say my fingers should appear orange when they're receding, when in fact they're in the deep infrared.

10. Jan 5, 2006 #9

Gold Member

I don't think you need to take into consideration relativistic effects when your typing speed is <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<c
  11. Jan 5, 2006 #10
    You do when it's my typing speed.

12. Jan 5, 2006 #11

Gold Member

Whose typing do you think i was talking about :tongue2:

I kept kinda falling asleep during the test. I'd get to a word and just kinda get stuck there and stare at it for a few seconds.
  13. Jan 5, 2006 #12
    How fast can you take a colorblindness test?
  14. Jan 5, 2006 #13

Jeez my gross speed is only 84 WPM. :frown: I practiced two more times and got 96 WPM.
  15. Jan 5, 2006 #14
    88 words per min! Go to hell stupid test!:cry:
  16. Jan 5, 2006 #15
    I don't need color vision to type, I just use the HTML color tags, <color="Orange">, and <color="Deep Infrared">.
  17. Jan 5, 2006 #16

That's pretty good. First person I've seen on any forum that can get over 100 WPM.

It took me constant practice. (Well thats what text based online RPG's do to you on the internet)

I didn't get out of my room, ate in there, went to the bathroom in my room, yeah it was pretty bad. There was no graphics, just typing.

I did this for 4 years, before I mouthed off to a GameMaster and got banned.

Oh well.

It actually seems like my typing has improevd, with all the time i spend on forums :surprised

Hmm, with my other keyboard that I broke (which has an arch) and a normak keyboard not a special one that does more typing speed (The vowels are plaecd ina special spot, therefore takes less time to type) I bet I could do 150 WPM for 5 minutes (and maintain it for that long)

Kinda scary I can type this fast without stopping, for 5 minutes, I'm only 30 WPM away from 150.

Also, the worlds fastest person used the special keyboard for 150 WPM, I could almost do this with a normal keyboard. (highest ive gotten was 132 WPM, with 89% accuracy)

But the fastest typer has alot more accuracy than me, alot better than 97%, which is what I got, 120 WPM with 97 percent (on another test I took)

I just *Might* be able to beat the record if I get at yping job

By the way, I need someones advice here. Do you think I could do wel with a typing job( Typing documents up for sony, or something?)

Plus, the worlds fastest typer was like 50, I'm 17

But the fastest typer in the world could do 212 on a special keyboard. (DAMN! Is it that good? I heard stories that some guy who could only do 50 WPM on a qwerty keyboard could do over a 100 on this different one..i gotta try it out)
  18. Jan 5, 2006 #17
    I see. But what kind of metering system are you using to determine the colorshift of your speedy, relativistic digits?
  19. Jan 5, 2006 #18
    Oh dear, not this self proclaiming prodigy stuff again.....:rolleyes: Is typing really that important anyways? I think sony pays Indians and chinese with low wage salaries to type all their documents. Though the best stuff comes out of china. I had stickers for a model airplane once that should have read 'tie down', 'no step', that were printed 'the down', and 'not step'. Ahh, good ole engrish. www.engrish.com
  20. Jan 5, 2006 #19
  21. Jan 5, 2006 #20
    Her top speed was recorded at 212 wpm

Some people need a different hobby.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?