1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How fast is car moving when . . .

1. Aug 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1.2 g pebble is stuck in a tread of a .76-m-diameter automobile tire, held in place by static friction that can be at most 3.6 N. The car starts from rest and gradually accelerates on a straight road. How fast is the car moving when the pebble flies out of the tire tread?

2. Relevant equations
    alpha=net Torque/I=FR/MR^2

so: (3.6)(.38)/(.0012)(.38^2)=7895 rad/s^2

now my plan is to use s=R * theta to find theta (where s is the distance the pebble travels along the circular pathway), plug that value into wf^2=wi^2 + 2alpha * theta and then use the value I get for Wf in equation v=wr to get v. but the problem is I don't know how to find s because I don't know what distance the pebble travels along the circular pathway. Can someone please help? Thank you :)

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2010 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not quite sure what is meant by your above calculations, :uhh:, But I don't think the 3.6 N should be assumed to be a tangential force. In other words, I don't the solution has anything to do with torque.
    I would approach this problem treating the 3.6 N as being directed radially. I.e., think centripetal force. :wink:

4. Aug 18, 2010 #3
    Hi okay so F=mv^2/r that means 3.6=.0012 * v^2/.038. V=34 m/s. Is this correct? Thank you so much for all your help!!

5. Aug 18, 2010 #4

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That seems much better to me. :approve:

6. Aug 18, 2010 #5
    Thanks! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook