1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How fast was the ball moving when it left the pool table?

1. Dec 5, 2004 #1
    HELP!!! PlEaSe

Okay, here is my problem: In a wild shot, Bo knocks a pool ball of mass of .85 kilograms offa 95-cm high pool table, and the ball hits the floor with a speed of 6.0 m/s. How fast was the ball moving when it left the pool table?
    I don't want to know the answer, I just want to know how to solve the problem, but I have no clue where to start. If someone could just help me get the problem started, or in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2004 #2
    i used the conservation of mechanical energy theorem...

[tex]
    \frac{1}{2} (0.85)v^2 + (0.85)g(0.95) = \frac{1}{2} (0.85)(6)^2
    [/tex]

[tex]
    v^2 + 2g(0.95) = 36
    [/tex]

[tex]
    v^2 = 36 - 18.62
    [/tex]

so...

[tex]
    v = 4.16893272
    [/tex]

Well - if u find any mistakes - pls feel free to comment.

4. Dec 6, 2004 #3
    I saw that formula in my physics book, but I wasn't sure if it would apply to the problem because we haven't really gone over it yet.
    But I'm going to use it to solve the problem, because it is a lot more than I had, and I will ask about it tomorrow.
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?