Calculating the Final Velocity of a Thrown Ball

• Thread starter Medgirl314
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, a boy throws a baseball directly upward and catches it 3.2 seconds later. The acceleration due to gravity is -9.8 m/s^2 and the initial velocity can be found by solving the equation -9.8(3.2)^2 + v(3.2) = 0. The solution for v is approximately 30.88 m/s.
Medgirl314

Homework Statement

A boy throws a baseball directly upward. He catches it 3.2 seconds later.

Homework Equations

a=Δv/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

Letting up be positive, I think the acceleration would be positive 9.8 m/s^2. I think I am trying to find the final velocity. I think that the inital velocity would be 0, right before he throws the ball. Could I go about this problem by using a=Δv/Δt to find velocity? This method seems to yield an answer of 3.0625 m/s. Thanks in advance for a helpful reply!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Medgirl314 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

a=Δv/Δt

Letting up be positive, I think the acceleration would be positive 9.8 m/s^2. I think I am trying to find the final velocity. I think that the inital velocity would be 0, right before he throws the ball. Could I go about this problem by using a=Δv/Δt to find velocity? This method seems to yield an answer of 3.0625 m/s. Thanks in advance for a helpful reply!

If up is positive, gravity's acceleration is downward, so it is negative.

What is the equation for the vertical position of the ball versus time? Just solve for Vi given that the ball returns to the same y position after 3.2 seconds.

berkeman said:
If up is positive, gravity's acceleration is downward, so it is negative.

What is the equation for the vertical position of the ball versus time? Just solve for Vi given that the ball returns to the same y position after 3.2 seconds.

Thanks berkeman! Are you saying that I should use this equation, but take into account that the acceleration is negative?

Medgirl314 said:
Thanks berkeman! Are you saying that I should use this equation, but take into account that the acceleration is negative?

Which what where equation?

Sorry, wrong demonstrative pronoun. *That* equation.

Which is *this* equation:a=Δv/Δt.

Medgirl314 said:
Sorry, wrong demonstrative pronoun. *That* equation.

Which is *this* equation:a=Δv/Δt.

Oh, now we're using BIG words! :smile:

No, I mentioned the equation for the vertical position of the ball as a function of time. Can you start with that equation?

Try using s(t)= -at^2+ vt+ h where a= 9.8 m/s^2, v is the initial velocity and h the initial height. Since you are talking about a ball going up and back down, you can take the initial height to be 0. The quadratic equation, -9.8t^2+ vt=0, has two solutions. One is obviously 0, the time the ball leaves your hand. The other solution is the time the ball returns to your hand which you are told 3.2 seconds. So solve -9.8(3.2)^2+ v(3.2)= 0 for v.

Haha! You should stick around. :smile:

I may be able to, but I haven't gotten into vertical position yet, unless you're talking about the change in height.

HallsofIvy said:
Try using s(t)= -at^2+ vt+ h where a= 9.8 m/s^2, v is the initial velocity and h the initial height. Since you are talking about a ball going up and back down, you can take the initial height to be 0. The quadratic equation, -9.8t^2+ vt=0, has two solutions. One is obviously 0, the time the ball leaves your hand. The other solution is the time the ball returns to your hand which you are told 3.2 seconds. So solve -9.8(3.2)^2+ v(3.2)= 0 for v.

Thank you! I will try this and post my answer in a moment.

983.4496+v(3.2)=0

Do I take the square root of both sides now? Or do I use the quadriatic equation?

I think I can use the quadriatic equation, but I'm having some trouble figuring out which numbers to assign to the letters.

Medgirl314 said:
I think I can use the quadriatic equation, but I'm having some trouble figuring out which numbers to assign to the letters.

Please show more of your work. I know that Halls basically solved the problem for you, but you need to do some of this schoolwork on your own.

Show us the definition of the Quadratic Equation. Show us how it works (look at wikipedia, for example). Then show us how you think you should use it to solve this problem.

Well, I wouldn't have had trouble with that part anyway, I supposse, it's just assigning the letters that seems difficult. Here's the definition I'm looking at: http://www.purplemath.com/modules/quadform.htm-9.8(3.2)^2+ v(3.2)= 0

Would -9.8 be a, v would be b, and 3.2 would be c?

Thanks!

Or would -9.8(3.2) be a, v would be b, and 3.2 would be c?

Actually, since the equation does not have a constant term (since the ball returns to the same height), you can just solve the equation directly for Vi. Sorry that I missed seeing that earlier. What answer do you get?

I'm not quite sure yet. Do I take this:-9.8(3.2)^2+ v(3.2)= 0 and divide by v? Or subtract v?

Medgirl314 said:
I'm not quite sure yet. Do I take this:-9.8(3.2)^2+ v(3.2)= 0 and divide by v? Or subtract v?

Start with that equation and take the first term on the lefthand side (LHS) over to the RHS...

Okay, thanks! I've done this plently of times with binomials and trinomials, but the quadriatics seem a bit harder.
-9.8(3.2)^2+ v(3.2)= 0
v(3.2)+9.8(3.2)=0

Like that?

Medgirl314 said:
Okay, thanks! I've done this plently of times with binomials and trinomials, but the quadriatics seem a bit harder.
-9.8(3.2)^2+ v(3.2)= 0
v(3.2)+9.8(3.2)=0

Like that?

I'm not following what you did. My suggestion was to take the first term on the LHS over to the RHS. That would put the = sign between the two terms. Then simplify...

I added the -9.8(3.2)^2 to v(3.2). Oops.

-9.8(3.2)^2+ v(3.2)= 0
v(3.2)=9.8(3.2)

More like that?

Medgirl314 said:
I added the -9.8(3.2)^2 to v(3.2). Oops.

-9.8(3.2)^2+ v(3.2)= 0
v(3.2)=9.8(3.2)

More like that?

It looks like you dropped the ^2 part on the RHS, but that's along the right lines other than that...

Oops, typo. Thanks! Where did the =0 go?
v(3.2)=9.8(3.2)^2
v(3.2)=885.6576
276.768=885.6576

That doesn't add up. Where did I go wrong?

Medgirl314 said:
Oops, typo. Thanks! Where did the =0 go?
v(3.2)=9.8(3.2)^2
v(3.2)=885.6576
276.768=885.6576

That doesn't add up. Where did I go wrong?

Something is wrong with your calculator...

On the RHS, square the 3.2, *then* multiply by 9.8.

Then divide the RHS by 3.2 to solve for Vi...

Okay, thanks! I thought the whole thing was squared.

v(3.2)=9.8(3.2)^2
v(3.2)=9.8(10.24)
v(3.2)=100.352
v=31.36 m/s

Is that my final answer?

Medgirl314 said:
Okay, thanks! I thought the whole thing was squared.

v(3.2)=9.8(3.2)^2
v(3.2)=9.8(10.24)
v(3.2)=100.352
v=31.36 m/s

Is that my final answer?

Looks reasonable.

Remember, the equation you were starting with was:

[tex]y(t) = y_0 + v_{iy} * t + \frac{1}{2} * a_y * t^2[/tex]

It's important to keep your terms in mind, so that you don't end up squaring the wrong thing(s). :smile:

Thank you! Now that I have the inital velocity, and the final velocity is 0(I assume) I can use vavg=distance/time to find height, correct?

Medgirl314 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

a=Δv/Δt

Medgirl314 said:
Thank you! Now that I have the inital velocity, and the final velocity is 0(I assume) I can use vavg=distance/time to find height, correct?

I thought the question was what does Vi have to be so that you catch the ball 3.2s after throwing it straight up. Is there more to the question? And no, when you catch the ball it is traveling downward with velocity -Vi. Can you see why that is?

Sorry, that was the question. It had two parts, but I hoped after I found the first answer I could easily get the second. The second question is "How high does the ball go?" So can I use that equation as long as I say vi is negative? Thanks!

Medgirl314 said:
Sorry, that was the question. It had two parts, but I hoped after I found the first answer I could easily get the second. The second question is "How high does the ball go?" So can I use that equation as long as I say vi is negative? Thanks!

If it takes 3.2 seconds for the ball to go up and come back down, what is the time when the ball is at the top of its travel? Use that time and the distance equation...

Great, thanks! The equation I used, or a different one?

Medgirl314 said:
Great, thanks! The equation I used, or a different one?

The distance versus time equation that I re-summarized in post #25...

Okay, I see it now. Thanks! I'll post my answer soon.

y(t)=y0+viy∗t+(0.5∗ay)∗t2
y(3.2s)=0+0*3.2+(0.5)(-9.8y)*10.24
y(3.2s)=3.2s+(0.5)(9.8y)*10.24sIs that right so far? What's next?

Medgirl314 said:
y(t)=y0+viy∗t+(0.5∗ay)∗t2
y(3.2s)=0+0*3.2+(0.5)(-9.8y)*10.24
y(3.2s)=3.2s+(0.5)(9.8y)*10.24s

Is that right so far? What's next?

I have no idea what you wrote. Could you please narrate what you are trying to do?

I'm not really sure. I was trying to plug in everything I know into the equation from post #25. It went horribbly wrong.

1. How do you calculate the final velocity of a thrown ball?

To calculate the final velocity of a thrown ball, you need to know the initial velocity, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time the ball is in the air. You can use the formula vf = vi + at, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

2. What is the initial velocity of a thrown ball?

The initial velocity of a thrown ball is the speed at which the ball is thrown. It can be measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). To calculate the initial velocity, you can use the formula vi = d/t, where vi is the initial velocity, d is the distance the ball travels, and t is the time it takes to travel that distance.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value that represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the Earth. It is typically denoted as g and has a value of 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s2) on Earth. This means that for every second an object is falling, its velocity increases by 9.8 m/s.

4. How does the angle of the throw affect the final velocity of a thrown ball?

The angle of the throw does not directly affect the final velocity of a thrown ball. However, it does affect the trajectory and distance the ball travels. A ball thrown at a higher angle will have a longer flight time and therefore a higher final velocity, while a ball thrown at a lower angle will have a shorter flight time and a lower final velocity.

5. Can the final velocity of a thrown ball ever be greater than the initial velocity?

No, the final velocity of a thrown ball can never be greater than the initial velocity. This is because the ball is constantly being slowed down by the force of gravity. However, the final velocity can be equal to the initial velocity if the ball is thrown straight up and returns to the same height.