Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How fit

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Are you science type guys, one gets the impression of the book wormy type as real damp squids, but i am sure you aint.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Well just look at Astronuc, hahaha.

Anyway, for my case, I weight 180 pounds and my height is 5'11". I play soccer sometimes (about 1-2 times a week), and do weight lifting (3-4 times per week).

4. Oct 11, 2008 #3
    you tell me...

im a math & physics major. involved with the math club and math league. was in marching band for five years. i do indoor drumline and drum corps. i actually teach the highschool drumline where i went to highschool. im the guy every one copies off of during tests and i get emails asking or help with homework.... but you would never know it :)

also, in highschool: i was a varsity track and wrestling. i ran the 400m and wrestled in the 153 weight class.

[​IMG]
    obviously im a total goofball

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  5. Oct 11, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Woolie, I got varsity letters in basketball, baseball, cross-country running, and skiing (all the sports my school offered at the time) and academic letters in every darned subject field that I studied. I also participated in band and chorus, including getting selected for regional and all-state performances. Add in Student council and NHS, and I didn't have a lot of free time. In short, I was a geek. Over-achieving and hyper-active, but a geek, just the same. When I graduated, I was presented a silver V, given to the graduate with the most extracurricular activities to their credit. I just wanted to do everything.

During HS, I also participated in a brass quartet, worked as a ski patrol member and played guitar and sang in an all-electric garage band doing blues/rock. At least I got paid for that last one.

6. Oct 11, 2008 #5
    I used to like exercising. For some reason I just don't feel like it anymore. It's just a hassle and to start seeing any results you need to stick with it for at least several weeks. It seems I always either get sick, injured, or something else comes up that makes me take a break for a week or two, then I get to start all over.

7. Oct 11, 2008 #6

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Hahaha, yup. Either too much work from school or other reason, sometimes you miss a week or etc.. I guess I just keep doing it for the journey rather than the results lately.

8. Oct 11, 2008 #7

Danger

Gold Member

The only excercise that I partake of is breathing. If I could hire someone else to do that for me without dropping dead, I would.

9. Oct 11, 2008 #8
    I also breathe and I walk too :approve:

10. Oct 11, 2008 #9
    I walk several miles a day to and from class.
    I also weight lift ~5 days a week.

I really want to take up Parkour this summer with my friends.

11. Oct 11, 2008 #10
    It's all fun and games until you fall a few stories and break your neck StickandStones.

12. Oct 11, 2008 #11
    That was my attitude too until I realized that out of a 5 mile journey I kept circling around the first few yards. It gets boring really fast.

13. Oct 11, 2008 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was really fit. Just a few months away from the sheep, and I already feel myself going soft. :grumpy: If I was sitting on my butt all day, I'd probably start going to a gym after work since I have plenty of time for exercise, but I'm standing on my feet all day, so even though I'm not doing much exercising, my back, legs and feet are sore and tired from all the standing and the last thing I want to do then is workout. :frown: I need to eat less too...my diet was fine while spending all day sweating with the sheep, but definitely too much for a more sedentary job. I might volunteer to help with a day of blood collections on someone else's experiment just to stay in sheep shape. :uhh:

Maybe I should park at the furthest end of the parking lot just to get a little extra exercise...but when I arrive at 7:30 in the morning, that empty front row is just WAY too tempting (I'm still NOT a morning person...the only exercise I want at 7:30 in the morning is lifting a coffee cup. Whose bright idea was it to have classes start at 8 AM anyway?! :grumpy:).

14. Oct 11, 2008 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I see a new excersize video, "sweating with the sheep". :biggrin:

I am NOT a morning person. If I can get dressed and make it into work, I've already done more than is humanly possible.

After beating my head against my desk all day, all I want to do when I get home is change into something comfortable and try to unwind mentally so I can manage to get to sleep in a couple of hours.

I have a very mentally draining job, pouring over government rules and regulations and legal decisions and trying to explain these things to my clients. Everything that was interesting about my job is gone, I am now just an analyst, more than anything. :frown:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  15. Oct 11, 2008 #14
    I sit on my *** all day, read, play video games, or research.
    Clearly, I'm enjoying the instant noodles and caffiene diet.

16. Oct 11, 2008 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Shoveling sheep **** is a great workout too. Hits the three major areas of fitness. Strength training - definitely lots of lifting; if you need to increase the weight, get a larger shovel. Flexibility - bend, scoop, twist and turn, repeat. Aerobic - you'll definitely be breathing hard and breaking a sweat; if you're not, shovel faster! :biggrin: Lifting, tossing and stacking hay bales is pretty good too, but the weight isn't as adjustable, so that's really more for the advanced workout (for some reason, people like hay bales to be uniform weights :rolleyes:).

The only people on the farm crew who aren't in great shape are the ones who spend most of the day driving the equipment...tractors, skid steer...

17. Oct 11, 2008 #16
    I'm fairly fit. I try to park at the farthest part of the parking lot at school, and I sometimes exercise, too. I stand all day at work and run around at work, so I get my exercise there. I think it is actually making me lose more weight and my dad is starting to think I'm too thin now.

18. Oct 11, 2008 #17

Up until that last sentence I thought you were referring to regular gym-goers as "sheep". :rofl:

19. Oct 11, 2008 #18

Danger

Gold Member

I'd expect to hear that from Wolram or Brewnog, but it seems kind of weird coming from a female.

20. Oct 12, 2008 #19

wolram

Gold Member

Moonb must be sheepra.

21. Oct 12, 2008 #20

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As in Dopak Sheepra?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?