Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Good Am I?

1. Jan 1, 2007 #1

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Hey guys I was just wondering If you guys could post over a few indefinite integrals for me to solve, because I seem to find some of the integrals on these forums easy, and others im completely lost, I just want to see where im up to so I can start learning from there, my learning of calculus has been independant, so it hasnt been structured very well...

Just post maybe a few at a time, with varying difficulty and I'll try to do them. I would prefer to get advice and do them on this thread rather than learn from a link if you guys dont mind...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2007 #2

ssd

Start with one of 12th standard level (it was in our text): sqrt(tanx)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  4. Jan 1, 2007 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Slightly more difficult one; Find I if

[tex]I = \int \frac{dx}{2+\sin(x)}[/tex]

5. Jan 1, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

O my jesus...I am completely lost on both of those, but from what I see on the mathematicia integrator, which doesnt show me steps btw..The solution to ssd's is way out of my leauge, and i havent even bothered to look up Hootenannys if its harder..Could you gives give me a prod in the right direction? Usually when I answer peoples integrals on this site I've read the hints others have given before...Im thinking maybe t=tan(x/2) substitution?

6. Jan 1, 2007 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why not try the substitution u2=tanx ?

Hint: Remember that sec2x=1+tan2x

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  7. Jan 2, 2007 #6
    I would start with a change of bounds to simplify the integral. That is to say, find the integral of cosec(x).

8. Jan 2, 2007 #7
    How exactly do you plan on doing that?

9. Jan 2, 2007 #8
    Dah! Forget it. For some reason I thought it was 1/sin(x+2). My bad.

10. Jan 2, 2007 #9
    Here something close:
    intergrat (1/(1+sin(u)) du = tan u - sec u +C

I'm having trouble with LaTeX code reference loading up.

11. Jan 2, 2007 #10
    Did you remember to put your code between [tex]\text{[tex]}[/tex] and [tex]\text{[\//tex]}[/tex] tags?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  12. Jan 2, 2007 #11
  13. Jan 2, 2007 #12

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My apologies Gib if my integral seemed a little overwhelming, it's just one of the standard substitutions that I seem to remember. Perhaps if you told us your level we could set questions more appropriately.

P.S. For my integral, a hyperbolic substitution would do the trick.

14. Jan 2, 2007 #13

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Umm, Im not sure If i got it, But basically for ssd's one I let u= tan x, because his u^2=tan x didnt seem to work for me..Anyway I got it to [tex]\int sqrt{u} \cdot \frac {1}{1+u^2} du[/tex], which I applied integration by parts to. I didn't want to get confused between my u substitution and my u in by parts, so i changed the u to an x for my working in parts and I basically got [tex]\frac {2x^{3/2}}{3(x^2+1)} + \frac {8x^{7/2}}{21}[/tex] where x = tan x, I know i probably havent chosen x again...might confuse some people...but you get the point. And I've never done a hyperbolic substitution before, unless you mean [tex]\sin x = \frac {e^{ix} - e^{-ix}}{2}[/tex] which I got from Eulers Identity, looks like [tex]\sinh ix[/tex] to me. Please tell me im not right, because I'd still have trouble with that lol. I dont actually know my level, thats why im doing this thread. Thanks for all your help guys.

EDIT: I just tried my result for ssd's one in mathematica, didnt turn out nicely..

15. Jan 2, 2007 #14

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Like I said, try the substitution u2=tanx. Why didn't this work for you? Did you substitute for dx correctly? Note:

[tex] 2u du=sec^2(x)dx \Rightarrow 2u du = (1+tan^2(x))dx \Rightarrow dx=\frac{2u}{1+u^4} du [/tex] Substitute this in and evaluate the integral.

16. Jan 2, 2007 #15

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I dont seem to understand how you got the first part in your Note. [tex] u^2 = \tan x[/tex] Then [tex]\frac {d}{dx} u^2 = \sec^2 x[/tex] then [tex] d(u^2) = \sec^2 x dx[/tex]. I dont know how you got 2udu...

Sorry for not being good at this guys, I can tell Cristo's a little pissed lol, sorry...

17. Jan 2, 2007 #16

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well from what you showed me, I would get [tex]\int u^{\frac{1}{2}} \frac {2u}{1+u^4} du[/tex]. Just abit of Intergration by parts and trig substitution would get me home free, yea?

18. Jan 2, 2007 #17

ssd

Hint:
    sqrt(tanx)= (1/2)[{sqrt(tanx) + sqrt(cotx)} + {sqrt(tanx) - sqrt(cotx)}]
    Consider the first part:
    sqrt(tanx) + sqrt(cotx)
    To integrate this put z= sinx-cosx , then use, 2sinx.cosx= 1-(sinx-cosx)^2.
    The second part follows in a similar manner.
    I have given the result of the first part in reply #26 of this thread.

19. Jan 2, 2007 #18

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not pissed; sorry if my post seemed a bit blunt! HAve you come across the chain rule for differentiation? It states that [tex] \frac{d}{dx}(f)=\frac{df}{du}\frac{du}{dx}.[/tex]

So, [tex]\frac{d}{dx}u^2=\sec^2x \Rightarrow \frac{d(u^2)}{du}{\frac{du}{dx}=\sec^2x \Rightarrow 2u \frac{du}{dx}=\sec^2x \Rightarrow 2u du=\sec^2x dx [/tex]

20. Jan 2, 2007 #19

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think you have one mistake here, namely the [itex]\sqrt u[/itex]. Since [itex]u^2=tanx [/itex] this should simply be u. I don't think you need any more substitution or int. by parts- just use partial fractions.

21. Jan 2, 2007 #20

Gib Z

Homework Helper

O CRAP! I am so so SO sorry! Mental Blank, yes im completely fine with differentiation. O thank you. Ok Well that ends up giving me [tex] 2\int \frac {u^2}{1+u^4} du[/tex] Umm...I don't get how you would do it with partial fractions, i was thinking of trig sub, i duno how though. What i did notice though, even though it probably doesnt help me, is letting u^2=tan(x/2) gives me [tex]\int \tan x du[/tex]..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?