How Good Am I at Integrals?

• Thread starter Gib Z
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the individual tried to do an integrative problem involving tan x, but was not able to get the answer correct. They substituted for dx and got an incorrect answer.
Gib Z said:
And as I just realized, that integral is not expressible in terms of elementary functions...

EDIT: INDEFINITE integral i meant to say.
how did you realize that?

i have another integral. i don't know how to do it. can anybody help?

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x^ne^{x^2}dx[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I worked out the taylor series and integrated term by term, this is my best:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} x^{a} e^{x^2} dx =\lim_{x\rightarrow {\infty}} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{a+(2n+1)}}{n!\cdot (a+(2n+1))}[/tex]

That doesn't help much

murshid_islam said:
how did you realize that?

i have another integral. i don't know how to do it. can anybody help?

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x^ne^{x^2}dx[/tex]

It diverges.

Looking at the summation again, It looks like it does lol.
EDIT: Or one could see that both are increasing functions, which i just noticed and am starting to feel stupid about for not noticing sooner.

what about [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x^ne^{-x^2}dx[/tex]

murshid_islam said:
what about [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x^ne^{-x^2}dx[/tex]
Putting z=x^2,

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x^ne^{-x^2}dx
=\frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{\infty}z^{\frac{n+1}{2}-1}e^{-z}dz [/tex]
Apart from the factor 1/2, the integral is a Gamma Integral with parameters (n+1)/2,1.
If (n+1)/2 is a positive integer, then the integral = 0.5[(n-1)/2]! ... (Gamma distribution is known as Erlang distribution if the shape parameter is an integer.)

Last edited:
what if (n+1)/2 is not an integer?

It becomes [tex]\frac{1}{2}\Gamma(\frac{n+1}{2})[/tex].

Which can be approximated...no closed form (in general).

Closed forms can be generated for any integer n with the following identities:

[tex]\Gamma(z) \; \Gamma\left(z + \frac{1}{2}\right) = 2^{1-2z} \; \sqrt{\pi} \; \Gamma(2z). \,\![/tex]

And

[tex]\Gamma\left(\frac{n}{2}+1\right)= \sqrt{\pi}\, \frac{n!}{2^{(n+1)/2}}[/tex] (n odd)

Lol its been a while since I've posted here. Anybody got an interesting integral?

Not technically difficult, but a nice introduction to recurrence methods;

[tex]I = \int{e^x\cdot\sin(x)}\; dx[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^{\pi} \frac{x \sin x}{1 + \cos^2 x} \; dx[/tex]

and

[tex]\int_0^{\pi / 2} \frac{1}{1 + \tan^{\pi} x} \; dx[/tex]

are interesting.

Last edited:
morphism: Neat, integrals I could do but not Mathematica. :)

Hootenanny - [tex] I = e^x \sin x - \int e^x \cos x dx[/tex]
[tex]\int e^x \cos x dx = e^x \cos x + I[/tex]
[tex]I= \frac{e^x(\sin x - \cos x)}{2}[/tex]

morphism - Using the standard result [tex]\int^a_0 f(x) dx = \int^a_0 f(a-x)[/tex], your first integral is shown below:

[tex]I= \int^{\pi}_0 \frac{x\sin x}{1+\cos^2 x}dx = \int^{\pi}_0 \frac{\pi \sin x}{1+\cos^2 x}dx - I[/tex]

[tex]2I = \pi \int^{\pi}_0 \frac{\sin x}{1+\cos^2 x} dx[/tex]

Can't be bothered typing up all the latex, but basically u=cos x, and arctan form gets us :
[tex]I = \frac{\pi^2}{4}[/tex].

As for your second one, I find your torture methods interesting. We have a vacancy at Guantanamo Bay if you would like to apply.

Hehe :smile:

(Your solution for the first one is correct of course. Good job!)

how do i solve morphism's second one?
[tex]\int_0^{\pi / 2} \frac{1}{1 + \tan^{\pi} x} \; dx[/tex]

Use the "standard result" Gib posted (i.e. essentially the substitution u = pi/2 - x). Then mess around with things.

Okay, one more trig one. I haven't looked through your previous post so I apologise if this has already been posted;

[tex]I = \int{\frac{dx}{4+\sin(x)}}[/tex]

Nvm Much easier than I thought. I didn't even give it a try because I seemed to think the exponent of pi was a bad sign.
Let I be the original Integral.
[tex]I= \int^{\pi/2}_0 \frac{1}{1+\tan^{\pi} x} dx = \int^{\pi/2}_0 \frac{1}{1+\cot^{\pi} x} dx[/tex].

[tex]2I = \int^{\pi/2}_0 \frac{1}{1+\tan^{\pi} x} dx + \int^{\pi/2}_0 \frac{1}{1+\cot^{\pi} x} dx = \int^{\pi/2}_0 \frac{1}{1+\cot^{\pi} x} + \frac{1}{1+\tan^{\pi} x} dx [/tex]. Simple cross multiplying and expansion gets us [tex]2I=\int^{\pi/2}_0 1 dx = \pi/2[/tex]

Therefore [tex]I = \frac{\pi}{4}[/tex].

Nice ones morphism, got any more?

Umm Hootenannys one took a while, I Basically did t=tan (x/2) and made it a rational function so on so forth.

I got [tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{15}} \arctan \frac{4 \tan (x/2) +1}{\sqrt{15}} + C[/tex] which seems like a hairy answer, I don't think I am right. I can't be stuffed to differentiate it to check lol.

Nice ones morphism, got any more?
Here you go:

[itex]\int_0^{\pi / 2} \tan^{-1} x + \cot^{-1} x \; dx[/itex]

These are inverses not reciprocals. (N.B.: There exists a solution that is one line long.)

[itex]\int_0^1 \frac{\log(x + 1)}{x^2 + 1} \; dx[/itex]

[itex]\int_0^1 \frac{\log(x + 1)}{x} \; dx[/itex]

[itex]\int_0^\pi \log (\sin x) \; dx[/itex]

Last edited:
Hehe the first one is easier than I thought. I first tried u = arctan x + arccot x, but when I tried to find du I realized the derivative was 0, so I finally noticed it was a constant function. I tried x=1, the constant function is equal to pi/2, so the solution is [tex]\frac{\pi^2}{4}[/tex]!

I couldn't do the 2nd one :(

Third one I did u= log (2), du/dx=1/x which is in there so all good.
So I integrated it and ended up with [tex]\frac{\log^2 (x+1)}{2}[/tex].

Last one, I split it up into 2 integrals, from 0 to pi/2, and pi/2 to pi.
Using symmetry arguments and the such, I got that it [tex]2I= \int^{\pi/2}_0 \log(\sin x) dx = \int^{\pi/2}_0 \log(\cos x) dx[/tex] but I am stuck from there.

Use the property of logs that log(xy) = log(x) + log(y) with the double angle formula of the sine.

[tex]I=\frac{1}{4} \int^{\pi/2}_0 \log_e (\frac{1}{2}\sin 2x) dx[/tex]...I don't get it...

Wait up I think I am getting it, Ill post it in 5 mins

Nope lost again...

Gib Z said:
Umm Hootenannys one took a while, I Basically did t=tan (x/2) and made it a rational function so on so forth.

I got [tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{15}} \arctan \frac{4 \tan (x/2) +1}{\sqrt{15}} + C[/tex] which seems like a hairy answer, I don't think I am right. I can't be stuffed to differentiate it to check lol.
Absolutely spot on Gib, it can't be simplified any further:approve:

Gib Z said:
Hehe the first one is easier than I thought. I first tried u = arctan x + arccot x, but when I tried to find du I realized the derivative was 0, so I finally noticed it was a constant function. I tried x=1, the constant function is equal to pi/2, so the solution is [tex]\frac{\pi^2}{4}[/tex]!
Yes, that's right, but there's a solution that'st truly one ling long. Yours involves differentiating things and evaluating it at a point, so it's longer than one line, especially if you don't know the derivatives of those things. :wink: The solution I have in mind is: Notice that arctan(x) and arccot(x) over [0, pi/2] correspond to the two accute angles in a right-angled triangle. So they add up to pi/2.

I couldn't do the 2nd one :(
How about setting x=tan(t)?

Third one I did u= log (2), du/dx=1/x which is in there so all good.
So I integrated it and ended up with [tex]\frac{\log^2 (x+1)}{2}[/tex].
I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean you set u=log(x)? That doesn't help...

Last one, I split it up into 2 integrals, from 0 to pi/2, and pi/2 to pi.
Using symmetry arguments and the such, I got that it [tex]2I= \int^{\pi/2}_0 \log(\sin x) dx = \int^{\pi/2}_0 \log(\cos x) dx[/tex] but I am stuck from there.
That's good. Now use these to get I. (sin(x) = 2sin(x/2)cos(x/2) and log(xy) = log(x)+log(y).)

Last edited:
The third one I sed u = log(x+1), and that helps because du/dx = 1/x, which is there as well. So My solution for it was [tex]\frac{\ln 2)^2}{2}[/tex].

Last one, that's what i did and i got this!

[tex]I=\frac{1}{4} \int^{\pi/2}_0 \log_e (\frac{1}{2}\sin 2x) dx[/tex]

Can't do that one!

For the one you said x=tan t, I did it but I can finish off [tex]\int \ln (\tan t +1) dt[/tex]

Last edited:
Gib Z said:
The third one I sed u = log(x+1), and that helps because du/dx = 1/x, which is there as well. So My solution for it was [tex]\frac{\ln 2)^2}{2}[/tex].
But du/dx isn't 1/x! It's 1/(x+1). :smile:

Last one, that's what i did and i got this!

[tex]I=\frac{1}{4} \int^{\pi/2}_0 \log_e (\frac{1}{2}\sin 2x) dx[/tex]

Can't do that one!
OK, let's see.

[tex]I = \int_0^{\pi} \log(2) + \log(\sin \frac{x}{2}) + \log(\cos \frac{x}{2} ) \; dx[/tex]

From your observations, we can see that this is just I = pi log(2) + I + I.

MY GOD KILL ME, I really should have seen those >.< Staring me in the face..

Okie well its getting late here in Australia, Ill try again with the remaining 2 tomorrow.

Gib Z said:
For the one you said x=tan t, I did it but I can finish off [tex]\int \ln (\tan t +1) dt[/tex]
[tex]\ln (1 + \tan t) = \ln(\sin t + \cos t) - \ln(\cos t) = \ln \left( \sqrt2\cos(t - \frac{\pi}{4}) \right) - \ln(\cos t)[/tex]

Good night!

Ok I am back But for your hint on the x=tan t one, am I just awfully stupid or is that still quite hard to integrate..

Here's the next step:

[tex]\ln(\sqrt 2) + \ln \left( \cos \left( t - \frac{\pi}{4} \right) \right) - \ln(\cos t)[/tex]

Now use the limits of integration...