How good is the Theoretical Physics MSc course at Queen Mary?

In summary: Overall, there are many great universities around the world that offer courses in theoretical physics and mathematical physics, and it is important to carefully research and consider all options before making a decision. In summary, there are many universities, including Queen Mary University, that offer excellent courses in theoretical physics and mathematical physics for graduates of computer science programs. It is important to research and consider various options, including universities in the US and Germany, and to prioritize factors such as reputation and course quality over ranking.
STasnim12357
Hello am currently an undergraduate student. My major is CSE. But I am very much interested to do my masters and then PhD in theoretical physics/mathematical physics. Is there any university that admits CS graduates for these courses?

I have looked up some universities that offer these courses. Queen Mary University, University of Edinburgh and Durham University sounds perfect to me (I can meet their minimum requirements).

I have targeted Queen Mary as my main choice. My question is how good is their course? And also their reputation in the international community ( academic of course)?

I actually wanted to look for some universities at the US as their requirements are more flexible but could not find any university that offers this course for masters.
Would you suggest some Universities both in the US and Germany that do? Would any university admit me directly for taught masters? Will having research paper help?

And another thing is I do not need a top rank university. I just need a good university with a strong faculty and good reputation. Ranking does not matter.

Thank you all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Queen Mary University is a great choice for pursuing a Masters degree in theoretical physics or mathematical physics. The university has an excellent reputation in the academic community and is ranked highly in international rankings. In addition, Queen Mary offers excellent teaching and research facilities for students and has a strong faculty with many leading experts in the field of theoretical physics and mathematical physics. In terms of other universities that offer similar courses, some universities in the US and Germany include the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Harvard University, Stanford University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California, Berkeley, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Technical University of Munich, Free University of Berlin, and University of Heidelberg. As for admissions requirements, many of these universities require applicants to have a bachelor’s degree in a related field such as mathematics, physics, or computer science. Depending on the university, having a research paper may be beneficial in the admissions process, though it is not always required. Finally, when selecting a university, it is important to consider the reputation of the university as well as the quality of the courses offered. Ranking is not necessarily the most important factor, as many universities offer excellent programs that may not be ranked highly but are still of high quality.

1. Is the Theoretical Physics MSc course at Queen Mary highly ranked?

Yes, the Theoretical Physics MSc course at Queen Mary is consistently ranked as one of the top programs in the UK and globally.

2. What makes the Theoretical Physics MSc course at Queen Mary stand out?

The Theoretical Physics MSc course at Queen Mary stands out due to its rigorous curriculum, renowned faculty, and cutting-edge research opportunities.

3. Are there any specific research areas within theoretical physics that are focused on in this course?

Yes, the Theoretical Physics MSc course at Queen Mary offers a variety of research areas, including quantum field theory, particle physics, cosmology, and string theory.

4. Are there opportunities for collaboration with other departments or institutions?

Yes, Queen Mary has strong partnerships with other institutions and departments, providing students with opportunities for interdisciplinary research and collaboration.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of the Theoretical Physics MSc course at Queen Mary?

Graduates of this program are well-equipped for careers in academia, research, and industry, with many going on to pursue PhDs or careers in fields such as data science, finance, and technology.