How great is the tension of the wire

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the tension in a 1.6m long steel piano wire with a diameter of 0.2 cm. The question asks for the tension in Newtons when the wire stretches 0.3 cm, assuming an elastic modulus of steel of 2 x 10^11 N/m^2. The person asking for help explains that they are participating in a competition and are looking for guidance. The other person suggests using Hooke's law, which states that tension is directly proportional to the enlargement or compression of a spring.
gemz
can anyone help me with this question.

A 1.6m long steel piano wire has a diameter of 0.2 cm. How great is the tension (in Newtons) in the wire if it stretches 0.3 cm when tightened ?

Assume an elastic modulus of steel = 2 x10^11 N/m^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
I read the top were it says about showing your working that you do have.

I'm actually participating in a game not doing homework, it's a competition on an Australian Forum state versus state and I am the only person from my state so sometimes I need that little extra help and use helpful places like this.

Any help would be appreciated even a few steps in the right direction

Do you know Hookes law - The tension in a spring is directly proportional to the enlargement or compression. The string must be elastic and must be following Hookes law.

1. How is the tension of a wire measured?

The tension of a wire is typically measured using a device called a tension meter, which applies a pulling force to the wire and measures the amount of force required to stretch it. This force is then converted into units of tension, such as pounds or newtons.

2. What factors affect the tension of a wire?

The tension of a wire is affected by its length, thickness, material properties, and the weight or load placed on it. The type of wire and the method of installation can also impact its tension.

3. Why is the tension of a wire important?

The tension of a wire is important because it determines its strength and ability to withstand external forces. If a wire is under too much tension, it may break or become distorted, while too little tension can cause it to sag or fail to perform its intended function.

4. How does tension affect the behavior of a wire?

Tension can greatly impact the behavior of a wire. When a wire is under tension, it becomes more rigid and less flexible. It can also affect the resonance and vibration of the wire, as well as its ability to transmit electricity or support weight.

5. How can the tension of a wire be adjusted?

The tension of a wire can be adjusted by varying the force applied to it or by changing its length, thickness, or material. In some cases, additional supports or tensioning devices may be used to alter the tension of a wire.