How great of a force is required?

• Thread starter ACLerok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of potential energy for a spring based on its displacement and spring constant. The formula for spring potential energy is (1/2)*k*x^2, where k is the spring constant, F is the force, and x is the displacement. The conversation also addresses a typo in one of the questions and the importance of solving problems independently rather than relying on others.
ACLerok
Haha i did it.. thanks.
Another:
A force of 600 N stretches a certain spring a distance of 0.3m .

What is the potential energy of the spring when it is stretched a distance of 0.3m ?

What is its potential energy when it is compressed a distance of 4.0 m ?

I know I am supposed to use the Spring Potential Energy equation (1/2)*k*x^2 but how do I find k? Is it 600N?? I've tried 27 and 600 and those are incrorect.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To lift at a constant speed, the net force must = 0 (neglecting the acceleration from rest to the final speed), so the lifting force is equal to the weight. The work done by the lifting force is that force multiplied by the given distance.

Edit: The preceding paragraph is in reference to the question that used to be above it (which has since been edited over with a different question). I was just looking at it and thought it looked really silly...

Last edited:
The spring equation is:
F=kx
wher k is the contstant, F is the force, x is the displacement.

You should get an answer in N/m or something similar.

so how does the first part relates to the second where the spring is compressed .04 meters?

600N=k(0.3m)
2000 N/m = k

Enjoy.

but the second question says its compressed .04 meters. does K change or do i just plug in .04 like usual.

Originally posted by ACLerok
but the second question says its compressed .04 meters. does K change or do i just plug in .04 like usual.

You have the spring constant k, thanks to NateTG; now use it. It doesn't change.

yeah but this time the spring is compressed not stretched

Then open your textbook and read, carefully, the section where it first refers to "spring constant".

F=kx
so k is F/x =600/0.3=2000 (N/m)

remember that potential energy when string stretched ot compressed is the same.

potential energy(when stretched 0.3m) for string is (1/2)Fx=(1/2)*k*x^2=(0.5)*600*0.3=90 J

to compress string to 4.0 m it needs k*x=2000*4.0=8000 N

so potential energy(when compressed 4.0m) for string is (0.5)*8000*4= 16000 J

alternatively you can also use (1/2)*k*x^2=(1/2)*2000*4^2 =16000 J still giving you the same answer...

hope my answer and explanation can clear your doubt.

the answer was 1.6J haha. you were all wrong

the answer was 1.6J haha. you were all wrong

So... What's funny? Seems a peculiar way to acknowledge those who are trying to help.

You mistyped the first question as 4.0 m instead of 0.04 m so of course you got some people to give you wrong answers. Further, the idea is not to get people to do your homework for you. Hence, hints by HallsofIvy and NateTG to get you to solve the problem yourself. Apparently, you were not up for the challenge.

I did not make any mistakes(provided that you type your question correctly).Prove me that I am wrong...

I am sure that either you type wrongly or you come with the wrong answer.Just these two are the options.

I agree with your idea krab.Thanks krab.Maybe he does not know how I spent my 15 minutes away with the answer, trying to choose the words to make him understood.

Originally posted by reinhard_t
so potential energy(when compressed 4.0m) for string is (0.5)*8000*4= 16000 J

i said its compressed .04m

1. How is force measured?

Force is measured in Newtons (N) using a device called a force meter or a spring scale.

2. What factors affect the amount of force required?

The amount of force required depends on the mass of the object, the acceleration of the object, and any opposing forces such as friction or air resistance.

3. How do you calculate the amount of force required?

Force (F) is calculated by multiplying the mass (m) of an object by its acceleration (a), using the equation F = ma.

4. Is there a limit to how much force can be exerted?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of force that can be exerted. This is known as the maximum force or the breaking point, and it varies depending on the material and structure of the object.

5. Can force be measured in different directions?

Yes, force can be measured in different directions. Forces can be applied in a straight line (known as a linear force) or in a rotational direction (known as a torque).