1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How hard is each?

1. Apr 20, 2006 #1
    I want to know how hard is each of these forms of Science&Technology.

I studied Electronics ENgineering for 2 semesters and that stuff was hard! I didn't know electronics could be so hard. So witht hat I decding to go into another field. I want to know the difficulty level of each of the fields below. Or some reason I think Physics comes easiet
    Mechanical Engineering

Electrical Engineering

Aerospace Engineering

Civil Engineering

Nuclear Engineering

Materials Science

Industrial Engineering

Petroleum Engineering

Software Engineering

Electronics Engineering

Chemistry

Biology

Physics.

Also which have the best job markets. If I live in anywhere in the US my homestate Texas,California,,Seattle,and Florida are my picks. Which fields are in those job markets?

Of course I'd really like to travel ovrseas Germany<japan,England,and AUstralia are my spots.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Physics is the hardest :)

Biology is a looooooot of memorization

4. Apr 20, 2006 #3

J77

imo, hardest first...

Physics
    ---------------
    Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, (Avionics) <--- E&E pretty much come together
    Aerospace Engineering
    Mechanical Engineering
    Materials Science
    Software Engineering
    Nuclear Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Petroleum Engineering <--- bit Mickey Mouse but probably harder thgan Civil
    Civil Engineering
    --------------
    Chemistry
    Biology

You need to stick Maths in there - properly just below Physics to learn but they blend together in the long run...

5. Apr 20, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'd put software engineering lower... and chemistry higher

6. Apr 20, 2006 #5

Lisa!

Gold Member

hmmm... I heard that Industrial enigineering is the most Mickey Mouse 1 amongs all engineerings!:tongue2:

7. Apr 20, 2006 #6

J77

I couldn't even guess as to what it involves... :confused: :bugeye: :smile:

8. Apr 20, 2006 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Engineering industry, duh :biggrin:

9. Apr 20, 2006 #8

J77

Actually, I think I was a bit hard on Chemistry and Biology there...

It's just that you can't really compare them to Physics, Maths and Engineering (at a student level).

Though bio-maths is always banded around as the `hot thing'... for the past 7 years :tongue:

And bio-maths talks are funny - sticking up systems with 100s of variables with massively different time-scales - doesn't always go down too well with the mathmos :biggrin: <--- Interesting tho'

10. Apr 20, 2006 #9

Lisa!

Gold Member

I meant Industrial engineering is the easiest one. So why are you :confused: :bugeye: ?

11. Apr 20, 2006 #10

J77

:confused: - about what it involves...

and :bugeye: - cos it's a cool smilie :cool:

12. Apr 20, 2006 #11

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

For me, physics is easier than either biology or chemistry because I don't have to memorize as much stuff. :biggrin:

13. Apr 20, 2006 #12
    physics is easier for people that can think but cannot memorize. Biology is easier for people that can't think but CAN memorize. :p (before someone gets offended, this was a light-hearted joke! I know biology is just as much of an analytical science as physics.)

It is too hard to rank these subject by difficulty. Everybody is different. However, I wouldn't put ME at the top of that list and physics at the bottom. I'd say EE should be higher than ME and physics should be closer to the top.

I don't know if that list is arranged according to your opinion on the difficulty, but you just said electronics engineering is very hard, yet you put it toward the bottom.

And also, electronics engineering is really a part of electrical engineering, even though they are sometimes offered as seperate degree titles. Same goes for chemical engineering and petroleum engineering. Also, where is computer engineering (NOT the same thing as software engineering at most universities)....computer engineering is more hardware oriented than software engineering. However there is some software engineering stuff in computer engineering....it is really a half and half mixture of the two)?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  14. Apr 20, 2006 #13

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

how can anyone dislike linear algebra? it is the easiest, most useful, most omnipresent subject in all of math.

???

15. Apr 20, 2006 #14

ranger

Gold Member

I'll be taking an intro to linear algebra course next semester. Sadly to say I didnt look up on what the course actually is about. Easiest, (most) useful, (most) omnipresent.......can those three words be used in one sentence to describe a math course. :)

16. Apr 20, 2006 #15

berkeman

I think you're asking the wrong question, Line. The posts above sum up some of the difficulty levels (physics hardest, etc.), but ALL of these areas of study are hard. Trying to find the easiest engineering degree is not going to serve you well, especially if you want the most valuable degrees (like EE, IMO).

The question you should ask youself instead is "Which of these areas of study are the most interesting and fun and rewarding for me?" They are all hard enough that if you are studying something that doesn't really turn you on, you are going to be pretty miserable, both in school and afterwards working in the real world.

I went off to college initially planning on an ME/EE double major. After a few intro engineering classes, I found that I really enjoyed EE hardware and software classes, and the ME stuff really didn't interest me much. I also found that I totally loved physics, and had a good aptitude for it. My EE and Physics classes were very, very hard. But I enjoyed them and that helped me to work really hard and do well in them. I can't imagine working that hard on something that you don't really enjoy -- that would be pure torture, IMO.

Check out some of the textbooks for each of the disciplines that you listed, and talk to some of the seniors in each of them. If your school has an open house day (like UC Davis has Picnic Day this Saturday, and UC Berkeley has Cal Day this Saturday as well), spend a lot of time checking out the departments and talking to the students. Take a broad range of classes in your lower division years (typically the first 2 years), and use those experiences to guide your decision on your major.

If you don't get goosebumps reading ahead a few chapters in a brand new textbook for an upcoming upper division class in your major, you probably aren't in the right major.

17. Apr 20, 2006 #16

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

Software engineering is by far the most difficult engineering. No other engineering deals with systems that are even on the same order of magnitude of complexity as large software systems. Other engineering disciplines may require more training but that does not make them harder.

18. Apr 20, 2006 #17

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think most who start looking for the easiest engineering degree discover that it is called ...Business.

19. Apr 20, 2006 #18

Astronuc

The question is - how good a scientist or engineer do you want to be? The best are those who work the hardest, who go well beyond basic knowledge, and who push the state of knowledge further into new territory.

The attrition rate is probably highest in physics and nuclear engineering. Aerospace is pretty close to physics and NE, and the other engineering disciplines are probably not far behind.

On the other hand, anybody could be a mediocre to poor scientist or engineer, if minimal effort is given.

I hope that any PF member, who is studying mathematics, science or engineering, aspires to be good if not very good, if not great in his or her field. :cool:

20. Apr 20, 2006 #19
    Electrical engineering is the hardest engineering discipline, imo, but I may be a bit biased. :tongue:

21. Apr 21, 2006 #20
    I think most engineering and science majors can be difficult depending on how far you actually go. Often you'll need to be proficient in other areas as well. Ultimately you just need to choose something you enjoy (or something you think you'll be able to complete).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?