How hard is it to get a job in astrophysics?

In summary, it is difficult to get a job as a physicist after getting a PhD, but it is possible if you have good English skills and teaching experience. It is also possible to make a decent living as a teacher at a lower tier college.
bfd050203
im trying to become an award winning physicist (I know, I am ready for the grind, I am 15 and ready to start) how hard is it to first get a job in this area right out of college after a phd? any way to make 70-80k and go up to make 6-figure salaries in research for the government or in a lab? again I am only 15 and I am not sure how the real world works. how hard is it to get a job in actual astrophysics? thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Much better odds to get a teaching job at a lower tier college, make 40-60k, and do your research on the side.

Tenure track, research oriented faculty positions at R1 institutions have a much higher supply of new PhDs than new jobs to be filled. Same for gov labs. The supply and demand for teaching faculty at lower tier colleges and universities is much more favorable. Of course, the pay is lower, the prestige is lower, and you got to spend a lot more time teaching.

Dr. Courtney said:
The supply and demand for teaching faculty at lower tier colleges and universities is much more favorable.
It's still not very favorable, at least for tenure-track positions. At the small private liberal-arts college where I taught, whenever we had to fill one of our tenure-track physics positions, we got something like 50 to 100 applications.

jtbell said:
It's still not very favorable, at least for tenure-track positions. At the small private liberal-arts college where I taught, whenever we had to fill one of our tenure-track physics positions, we got something like 50 to 100 applications.
I agree. I was on many hiring committees at the Seattle-area community college where I taught. When a math teaching position was announced, we would routinely get 100-150 applicants. It's much easier to get part-time employment, but if classes get cut, part-timers are the first to go, and there is no guarantee that you'll get classes in a given quarter/semester. Not to mention that the pay is not very high.

I am currently teaching part-time at a different CC. I do it because I enjoy what I'm doing, certainly not for the pay.

jtbell said:

At the schools where I have taught, we averaged about 40 applications, but only about 10 of those were PhDs.

PhDs with excellent English skills and teaching experience usually made the phone interview stage of the process.

Three years ago at my small (approx. 3000 students), isolated (7-hour drive to closest larger city) Canadian university, we had over 60 applicants for an eight-month Physics Lecturer position.

My university has about 5,000 students, as of yet still no physics major, and offered no research space or start up money. When they hired me, they got over 200 qualified applicants for the position.

It's not easy to get a job at any university. My grad school wasn't an R1, but got over 600 applicants for an astrophysics job 10 years ago. It's easier actually got get a higher-paying job in industry, but then you almost certainly won't be doing astrophysics - there's really not any money there. Same for most government labs; they want people who do more experimental physics, they rarely hire in astrophysics. NASA does, but most scientists working for them need to earn their salary in grant money every year, they don't have a fixed salary.

I know very few astrophysicists making over 100k. I just got tenure, and I won't get to the 100k level for another 10 years or so, and I'm making more than most of my friends in academia and elsewhere.

Physics, especially astrophysics, is unlikely to make you rich or famous or win you big awards. It's a ton of work, a lot school, and any science field takes a lot of slogging through idea after idea and experiment after experiment to even reach a publishable result, much less one very many people will care about. It's great that you're so excited about physics, but you seem to have unreasonable expectations about science in general.

Likes alantheastronomer and berkeman
eri said:
When they hired me, they got over 200 qualified applicants for the position.
Awesome, congrats on such amazing work. I think your students are very fortunate. :smile:

bfd050203 said:
im trying to become an award winning physicist (I know, I am ready for the grind, I am 15 and ready to start) how hard is it to first get a job in this area right out of college after a phd? any way to make 70-80k and go up to make 6-figure salaries in research for the government or in a lab? again I am only 15 and I am not sure how the real world works. how hard is it to get a job in actual astrophysics? thank you in advance
After your PhD., if you still want to do research, then the usual next step is to become a post-doc, but the competition for those positions is stiff, though not impossible to get, but the salaries are nowhere near the amount you're expecting! My advice is to listen to Eri's advice in post #7.

Likes Dendyster
alantheastronomer said:
After your PhD., if you still want to do research, then the usual next step is to become a post-doc, but the competition for those positions is stiff, though not impossible to get, but the salaries are nowhere near the amount you're expecting! My advice is to listen to Eri's advice in post #7.

The prize postdocs all have salaries of about 70k.

http://www.stsci.edu/institute/smo/fellowships/hubble/hf-formal-guidelines.pdf
https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2016/nsf16575/nsf16575.htm
http://cxc.harvard.edu/fellows/fellowsCfP2016.html

In my opinion, money and fame should not be the driving force behind becoming a Physicist. More so, a burning desire to help yourself and other people better understand the fundamentals of existence. If money and awards come along the way then it should be more of a bonus, complimenting the real success of altering perspectives in your personal and professional lives and steering humanity in a more positive direction.

Hey there! - You with the stars in your eyes...

Although I am not working in astrophysics, it took me 20 years after my PhD to get a government job and 10+ years to get 6 figures. I started in the low '70's and figure out how fast you'll move up at a nominal 3% raise per year. Promotions help because they are in the 5% range, but that only happens once or twice in the 10-15 years it takes to become a senior guy. Given that, I am within 5% of the max a govt employee an make without going into management or becoming an executive which takes you completely out of any technical work what so ever.

good luck pal...you're going to need it

1. How competitive is the job market for astrophysicists?

The job market for astrophysicists is highly competitive. There are typically more qualified applicants than available positions, making it difficult to secure a job in this field.

2. What qualifications are necessary to get a job in astrophysics?

To work as an astrophysicist, you will need a Ph.D. in Astrophysics or a related field, such as Physics or Astronomy. You will also need strong research experience and a solid understanding of advanced mathematics.

3. Are there any specific skills or experiences that can increase my chances of getting a job in astrophysics?

In addition to a strong educational background, having experience in research and data analysis, as well as knowledge of programming languages commonly used in astrophysics, can make you a more competitive candidate for job opportunities in this field.

4. Are there any specific industries or institutions that offer more job opportunities in astrophysics?

Astrophysicists can find job opportunities in a variety of industries and institutions, such as universities, research institutes, government agencies, and private companies. However, the majority of job openings in this field tend to be in academia and research institutions.

5. Is it possible to get a job in astrophysics without a Ph.D.?

While a Ph.D. is typically required for most research and academic positions in astrophysics, there may be some opportunities for individuals with a Master's degree or a Bachelor's degree in a related field. However, these opportunities may be limited and highly competitive.