How hard is university physics?

In summary: So, if you're having trouble with physics and math, try to force yourself to study harder than you are currently doing. It will pay off in the end.
robbie.kpm
Hey I'm new to this and I'm just wondering about physics in university. I know this has been asked a lot so I apologize to anyone who's thinking not this again. I'm 17 and in a couple of months I'll be applying to different colleges and I'm just wondering how hard a physics course actually is. I'm not by any means a genius but I do fine in physics and maths at the moment. Normally A's but I do have to study hard to do well. I definitely wouldn't be one of the smartest in my classes but I still get high grades. Anyway my question is how hard is it to do well in a college physics course. The course I want to do is theoretical physics and from talking to a student who's in his third year he said he almost got a brain aneurysm in first year. I don't want to just barely pass if you know what I mean and the guy I was talking to is literally a genius.
Sorry this is long, thanks in advance to anyone who took the time out to answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's rarely about being smart. I haven't yet discovered anybody who couldn't do physics if they really wanted to. It's rather about putting in the necessary effort to perform well. You will need to study really hard: read the book, do the homework, do supplementary exercises and readings, etc. The people who are best in physics always tend to be the people who go beyond the material and study things that won't be tested.
So don't worry about it being too difficult, if you are willing to put in the effort, then you'll do fine. And make sure to enjoy what you do too.

Likes Dr. Courtney, Dishsoap, symbolipoint and 2 others
Like micromass said, the courses in undergrad are more about hard work than intelligence. I'm definitely not the brightest bulb in the box, but I have a 4.0 going into mys senior year because I worked my tail off. That being said, your first few courses will probably be the hardest, since you're still getting used to the problem solving aspect of the homework/exams, as opposed to just plug-and-chug. If you are doing fine in physics and math, even if you aren't a genius, there is no reason you wouldn't do well in college physics.

Likes CalcNerd, robbie.kpm and Dr. Courtney
You will definitely need to put in tons of time when you start getting into material that you haven't seen before.

A word of advice. Don't make the same mistake I did with the first few classes. I kind of went lazy/arrogant when a lot of the material was sort of a repeat of what I saw in high school. I didn't study as much and it started to hurt my grades a little after a while. It was difficult finding out later how much more I had to study. Because of it instead of a 3.9+ GPA I'm living with 3.5 average. Not bad by any means, but I wish I had just taken it more serious at the beginning.

Likes robbie.kpm

1. How difficult is university physics compared to high school physics?

University physics is generally considered more challenging than high school physics. The concepts and topics covered are more complex and require a deeper understanding of mathematical and scientific principles. Additionally, university physics courses are typically more rigorous and move at a faster pace than high school courses.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to succeed in university physics?

Having a strong foundation in math is crucial for success in university physics. Many concepts in physics require mathematical equations and calculations, and a solid understanding of algebra, calculus, and trigonometry is necessary to fully grasp these concepts.

3. How much time should I dedicate to studying for university physics?

The amount of time needed to study for university physics will vary depending on the individual and the specific course. However, a general rule of thumb is to allocate at least 2-3 hours of studying for every hour spent in class. This means that for a 3-credit hour physics course, you should plan on dedicating 6-9 hours per week to studying.

4. What are the biggest challenges in university physics?

The biggest challenges in university physics often involve understanding and applying complex mathematical concepts, as well as being able to visualize and conceptualize abstract ideas. Many students also find it challenging to keep up with the fast pace of the course and the amount of material covered.

5. How can I prepare for university physics?

To prepare for university physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and to review basic physics concepts from high school. It may also be helpful to familiarize yourself with the specific topics and equations that will be covered in your course. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills can also be beneficial.