Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How heavy should my set piece be?

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1

ml5

Here is my problem:
    I'm a set designer for a show. I have a set piece of a tree that is 12ft. tall and sits on a 8' by 8' platform that is on wheels. The issue is that this tree has a swing that comes off of it. Someone who is about 100lbs will be swinging on the set piece. How heavy should the tree be so that her weight does not overcome the inertia of the tree platform? Also, if someone could walk me through the steps of finding the solution, that would by awesome. And if I didn't give you enough information, let me know, I'm new to this. Thanks guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2011 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need some professional help here. The consequences of getting this wrong are too serious to offer advice based on the limited amount of information you gave.

4. Oct 14, 2011 #3

ml5

How much more information do I need to give?

5. Oct 14, 2011 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You should have a professional mentor, or some other experienced set designer who is teaching you how to do this. We are not professional set designers. Thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook