How high can a helium baloon rise to space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of helium balloons and their capabilities in terms of altitude, gravity force, and pressure. The possibility of using hydrogen as an alternative is also mentioned, but it is advised against due to safety concerns. The concept of using multiple small balloons instead of one big balloon is also discussed, but it is explained that the weight and lift scales make it more practical to use one large balloon. The concept of buoyancy and Archimedes Principle is brought up, and the importance of understanding basic physics principles is emphasized. It is also mentioned that Google can be a helpful resource for finding information.
Deleted member 656102
Hey i have these ideas in which i use helium baloons. I wonder how high does it go and what is the gravity force and pressure at this point?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Perhaps google HAB altitude calculator or HAB burst calculator.

I think UK may hold world record...

https://ukhas.org.uk/general:uk_records

Just about answers my question. After that it can go any higher? Because of the particle density or what?

Is there an alternative to helium that can go higher?

Robert Petrusic said:
Is there an alternative to helium that can go higher?
Hydrogen.

I assume the altitude depends on the capability of the balloon material to stretch and its weight.

Nasa was giving milion dollars for this but here it is.
IMG-20190111-WA0004.jpg

This is a lif that is (HUGE) made out of segments. Each segment is conected but every segment carries only the weight of it self. The lift liftes the cargo each segment at a time until it reaches its final destination. At the top should probably be a larger segment... like a liftoff base. But the advantage is that the rockets should be much smaller. Its just a concept. Please, witouth the negative additude.

Attachments

• IMG-20190111-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20190111-WA0004.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 583
A.T. said:
Hydrogen.

Under no circumstances would I advise someone inexperienced to use hydrogen. Under very few circumstances would I even advise someone experienced to use hydrogen.

Vanadium 50 said:
Sorry, I know you've said you're a genius (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/inventor-wanting-to-start-prototyping.964169/#post-6118245), but this won't work.

A balloon has to lift at least its own weight. The weight scales as the square of the radius. The lift scales as the cube of its radius. That means you want one big balloon and not multiple small balloons.
Actually i tought i was stupid but the tests said that i am a genius, so..

The problem with one big baloon is that this way the cable would be long 40 kilometers.

What do you mean about baloon needing to lift its one weight, what about zeppelins? They carried weight.

Robert Petrusic said:
Actually i tought i was stupid but the tests said that i am a genius, so..

The problem with one big baloon is that this way the cable would be long 40 kilometers.

What do you mean about baloon needing to lift its one weight, what about zeppelins? They carried weight.

Quick, clarifying question: Are you familiar with the concept of buoyancy and Archimedes Principle?

I think there are people who have responded to you and assumed that you know this. I'm not so sure that you do.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Quick, clarifying question: Are you familiar with the concept of buoyancy and Archimedes Principle?

I think there are people who have responded to you and assumed that you know this. I'm not so sure that you do.

Zz.

No i don't know.

So you seem like a reasonable guy.
Can you tell me in common english what's the problem with this?

Edit: If you carry one killo at a time its progress.

Robert Petrusic said:
No i don't know.

So you seem like a reasonable guy.
Can you tell me in common english what's the problem with this?

Edit: If you carry one killo at a time its progress.

Then maybe that is where you should start. I recommend looking up Archimedes principle.

For example, why do you think blimps and hot-air balloons are often very large in size? And another thing for you to consider, if these things are in vacuum, this wouldn't work, i.e. there will be no uplift.

Zz.

I came to this forum to look for explanations and ideas for my inventions, didnt know this was a forum only for PhD's in Physics.
I would like to learn physics but i don't have time because it would take me about 6 years.

My Elevators baloons are also big, actually, they would be the biggest ever built.

And yes, i know that in vacuum there is no uplift. The plan was to take it as far as it would go.
Doesn't mean that it's the solution but its a possibility.

So to get back to explaining... what's the problem with this?

Robert Petrusic said:
I came to this forum to look for explanations and ideas for my inventions, didnt know this was a forum only for PhD's in Physics.
It is not. However, we decided not to copy the entire Wikipedia here.

Likes russ_watters, Vanadium 50 and BvU
If you don't file like explaining don't post. I didn't ask for wikipedia, just some basic explanation. I don't feel like looking trough entire physics classes from beginning to the end the end to see if couple of my ideas work. I was expecting some relaxed comments, and normal communication, but i don't mind.

Robert Petrusic said:
So to get back to explaining... what's the problem with this?
Calculate! You have weight, which gives you the amount of gas needed in dependence of height. Then take into consideration, how much your material can be stretched to compensate for the decreasing air pressure. We are not a substitution to Google.

fresh_42 said:
It is not. However, we decided not to copy the entire Wikipedia here.

fresh_42 said:
Calculate! You have weight, which gives you the amount of gas needed in dependence of height. Then take into consideration, how much your material can be stretched to compensate for the decreasing air pressure. We are not a substitution to Google.

i have 300 different ideas for inventions, and i didn't learn physics in school. Don't feel like talking to google for 2 years to find out, but seems that computers are much more friendly than humans.

Robert Petrusic said:
i have 300 different ideas for inventions, and i didn't learn physics in school. Don't feel like talking to google for 2 years to find out, but seems that computers are much more friendly than humans.

Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts.

This forum, and many of its longtime members, tend to have the philosophy that it is better to teach you how to fish, rather than just give you the fish. It is the most effective way to learn (many of us are also teachers/instructors, so we base this on experience). This way, you understand the fundamental concept related to the problem, and you will be able to tackle the same type of problem next time.

The issue with just giving you an answer is that it very seldom ENDS there! We often find ourselves explaining our explanation, because the questioner does not understand the stuff that one needs to be able to comprehend the answer. Then when we explain the explanation, there often will be question on that subsequent explanation. This then becomes the case of trying to go one step forward, but then going 2 steps back.

I tried to give you a "keyword" that you can look up to understand the fundamental physics associated with buoyancy. It will at least allow you to find not only an explanation on why something would "float", but also quantitative description of the physics. I find it extremely puzzling that you can make a claim of the size of your balloon without understanding how to calculate what is needed. Did you simply make a guess? Is this good enough?

There are many valuable lessons here that you can learn from your interaction with the members of this forum so far. As always, we can lead you to water, but we can't make you drink it. The effort falls on you. If you are looking for instant gratification, then you may have found the wrong place.

Zz.

Edit: After I wrote all that, it looks like the OP has "left the building"! :)

Likes BvU, BPHH85 and Ratman
ZapperZ said:
Edit: After I wrote all that, it looks like the OP has "left the building"! :)
Yeah, weird. Okay, thanks everybody for trying to help this person learn how to fish! :smile:

1. How high can a helium balloon rise?

The maximum height a helium balloon can reach is determined by a few factors, such as the size of the balloon, the amount of helium it contains, and the atmospheric conditions. On average, a helium balloon can rise up to 30,000-40,000 feet before it pops due to the decreasing air pressure and expanding helium gas inside.

2. Can a helium balloon reach space?

Technically, no. Space is defined as starting at an altitude of 62 miles above the Earth's surface. Most helium balloons cannot reach this height as they will pop before reaching it. However, some specialized balloons with advanced materials and designs have reached heights of 100,000 feet or more, which is considered the edge of space.

3. How does a helium balloon rise?

Helium balloons rise because of the principle of buoyancy. Helium is less dense than the surrounding air, so it creates an upward force that lifts the balloon. As the balloon rises, the air pressure decreases, causing the helium gas inside to expand and the balloon to rise even higher until it reaches an altitude where the air pressure is equal to the pressure inside the balloon and it pops.

4. What happens to a helium balloon as it rises?

As a helium balloon rises, it experiences a decrease in air pressure and temperature. The air pressure decreases because the atmosphere becomes thinner at higher altitudes, and the temperature decreases due to the expansion of the helium gas inside the balloon. As a result, the balloon will continue to rise until it reaches an altitude where the air pressure and temperature are too low, causing it to pop.

5. Can a helium balloon be used for space exploration?

While helium balloons have been used for high-altitude research and exploration, they are not suitable for space exploration. Space is a vacuum, and helium balloons require air to rise. Once in space, a helium balloon would not be able to lift or maneuver, making it impractical for space exploration purposes.