How High Do Mosquitoese fly?

1. How high do mosquitoes fly? How high do flies fly? From the ground I mean.

I read a source that said mosquitoes tend to bite people less than 25 feet up. That was the American Mosquito Control Association or something like that. Flies the same?

2. jcsd
  3. russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

On purpose, yeah, but I heard once that every now and then a storm will inject some insects into the stratosphere. :bugeye:

Dunno about that 25 feet thing, though.

4. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, about 20,000 feet...when one sneaks onto a plane. :biggrin:

Okay, now where did my "more than you ever wanted to know about mosquitoes" link go? Oh, here it is: http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~insects/mosbiol.htm

Shoot! I don't see anything about how high they fly. They don't seem to have any sort of mosquito myths page either. I don't know how high they can fly, but since mosquitoes tend to swarm around water and moist locations, it sounds fairly reasonable that most people are bitten while near the ground.

5. Perhaps like bees they only fly high to mate, otherwise I would go with moonbear on the idea that they stay low to ground based on the fact there is blood down there.

6. russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well, there is that, plus the fact that not a whole lot of people can fly more than 25 feet above the ground (personally, I've made it up to 80 feet, but my arms get tired pretty quick). :rofl:

7. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,265
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I was thinking more about high rise buildings. I've heard something similar before about mosquitoes not flying above the 3rd floor of buildings, and am pretty sure it was myth, but don't have anything to support or refute it.

8. Ouabache

Ouabache 1,324
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I liked the bit about the mosquito sneaking onto a plane going up 20,000 feet:rofl:

But more seriously, here is a quote from the AMCA site.
    "Mosquitoes that bite humans prefer to fly at heights of less than 25 ft. Asian Tiger Mosquitoes have been found breeding in treeholes over 40 feet above ground. In Singapore, they have been found in apartments 21 stories above ground. Mosquitoes have been found breeding up to 14,000 feet in the Himalayas and 2000 feet underground in mines in India." ref (The American Mosquito Control Association)

9. Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

Well I have a buddy that has an apt on the 20th level and there have been Mosquitos on the balcony

10. They probably took the elevator!!:rofl:

11. One of the retarded mosquitos probably got up there and laid eggs in his "Effect of sunlight on water" experiments.

12. anopheles,the vector of malaria goes up to 500 m...no malaria case is seen over this height...i heard this during a lesson!

13. yes, but just because they don't happen to be in high places it doesn't mean they can't get there. Observance and capability are two different things. I suggest you check out this to settle the argument. MOSQUITOES CAN FLY HIGH!

14. Couldn't we just keep lowering the pressure in a contained space until all the mosquitoes can't fly? Then that would definitely be the upper limit.

15. vanesch

vanesch 6,236
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is definitely not true. I live on the 10th floor and we regularly have mosquitos. Maybe this is due because behind the building where I have my appartment, a mountain raises (I'm facing a high-sloped forest at the back), but the horizontal distance to the side of the mountain is bigger than the direct distance to the floor (the height).

16. That's an awful link with poorly-reasoned arguments and no useful information, in fact written by an undergraduate in business school.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2006
  17. From Malakooti et al, U. of Health Sciences in Bethesda, Maryland:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol4no4/adobe/malakooti.pdf

18. Even more relevant, this shows how high mosquitos fly relative to the ground below them (from an abstract by Kay, B.H. and Farrow, R.A., published in J. of Medical Entomology):

http://www.bioone.org/bioone/?request=get-document&issn=0022-2585&volume=037&issue=06&page=0797

19. What say you?

Well, you display your displeasure with the argument, yet you don't give any support as to why they are "poorly-reasoned." You mearly just re-quote what has already been said. Sounds to me like your rebuttle is the one that is poorly reasoned!

:confused:

20. He bolded the part where it said "force of gravity weakens at higher altitudes," in this small of a magnitude of distance, it wouldn't matter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?