How high is the building?

• Thread starter wellojello
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, the conversation is about a question on MasteringPhysics which involves finding the height of a building based on given values. The person first lists all the given values and then uses horizontal and vertical motion formulas to find the time and height of the building. However, there is some confusion as the provided answer is deemed incorrect.
wellojello
greetings :)

so I'm pretty stumped on this one question from masteringphysics:

A ball thrown horizontally at 23.7 m/s from the roof of a building lands 35.0 m from the base of the building. How high is the building?

i first listed all of my given values
---------------------------
v_x0 = 23.7 m/s
a = a_y = -g = -9.8 m/s^2
x = 35 m
x_0 = y_0 = 0
v_y0 = 0
a_x = 0
t = ?
y = ?

used the horizontal motion formula to find t

x = x_0 + v_x0 t + 1/2a_x t^2
t = 35/23.7 = 1.5s

and then the vertical motion formula to find y with the time i found above

y = y_0 + v_y0 t - 1/2gt^2
y = -1/2 (9.8)(1.5^2)
y = 11.025m

they said that this answer is "not quite", but i went over my calculations and still got 11.025 m. did i plug in the wrong values or used the wrong formulas?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
i just realized I've posted this onto the wrong thread. my apologies

Greetings! I can confirm that your calculations and use of formulas appear to be correct. However, it's always a good idea to double check your work and make sure you have used the correct values and formulas. Perhaps try rechecking your calculations and see if you can spot any errors. Keep up the good work!

1. How is the height of a building measured?

The height of a building is typically measured from the ground level to the highest point of the structure, including any antennas or spires on the roof.

2. What unit of measurement is used to express the height of a building?

The height of a building is usually expressed in feet or meters.

3. How accurate are the stated heights of buildings?

The accuracy of stated building heights can vary depending on the source. Some sources may measure to the top of the roof, while others may include antennas or spires in the measurement. Additionally, the height may change over time due to renovations or additions to the building.

4. How do engineers determine the height of a building before it is constructed?

Before a building is constructed, engineers will use architectural plans and blueprints to determine the height of the building. They may also use computer models and simulations to estimate the height.

5. What is the tallest building in the world?

As of 2021, the tallest building in the world is the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, standing at 2,717 feet tall. However, this may change in the future as new buildings are constructed.