Calculating the Height of a Building Using Free Fall Time

• Thread starter Medgirl314
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, to find the height of a building when a stone is dropped from the top and hits the ground in 2.9 seconds, we can use the equation y=1/2at^2 and plug in the given values of a=9.8 m/s^2 and t=2.9 s. Simplifying, we get a height of 41.2 meters. This is assuming the stone was dropped from rest.
Medgirl314

Homework Statement

A stone dropped from the top of a building hits the ground in 2.9 s. How high is the building?

a=9.8 m/s^2
yinitial=0
vinital=0
y=?

Homework Equations

y=1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

y=1/2at^2

Plugging in what I know:
y=1/2(9.8m/s^2)(2.9s)^2
Simplifying:y=1/2(82.4) m
Answer: y=41.2 m

Is this correct? Thanks in advance for confirming! :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks correct to me. That is, assuming it is dropped from rest. It doesn't explicitly say, but I think it this case it is a safe assumption.

Thank you! I believe it is, my physics teacher usually assumes so.

1. How do you measure the height of a building?

There are a few different methods for measuring the height of a building. One way is to use a measuring tape or ruler to physically measure the height of the building. Another way is to use a tool called a laser rangefinder, which uses laser beams to calculate the distance from the ground to the top of the building. In some cases, you can also look up the building's height online or in architectural plans.

2. What is the standard unit of measurement for building height?

The standard unit of measurement for building height is feet or meters. In the United States, feet is the most commonly used unit, while meters is the standard unit of measurement in most other countries.

3. How accurate are building height measurements?

The accuracy of building height measurements can vary depending on the method used. Physical measurements with a measuring tape or ruler may have a margin of error of a few inches. Laser rangefinders are generally more accurate, with a margin of error of a few millimeters. However, factors such as weather conditions and the angle of the laser can affect the accuracy of these measurements.

4. Can the height of a building change over time?

Yes, the height of a building can change over time. This can happen due to renovations or additions to the building, natural disasters, or even gradual settling of the foundation. In some cases, the height of a building may also be intentionally altered, such as with the addition of a rooftop structure or antenna.

5. Are there any regulations or standards for building height?

Yes, there are regulations and standards for building height in most countries. These regulations are typically set by local governments and may vary depending on the location and type of building. For example, there may be different regulations for residential buildings versus commercial buildings, or for buildings in urban areas versus suburban areas.