1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How high the tower?

1. Feb 12, 2016 #1
    Can someone help my problem

Grains of lead bullets used in rifle cartridge made of small round pellets 2-3mm in diameter and is made by dripping molten lead from a tall tower , this method has been used since its invention by William Watts in 1782. To produce granules of lead ball must be ensured droplets copper liquid freezes before reaching the runway . How high should we build a tower ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've seen one of these working . The Bristol one as shown in small pictures here :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_tower

More about the Bristol one here :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_Lane_Shot_Tower

This is a much older one in action :

To answer your question - shot towers were always designed by experience rather than by calculation .
    Meaningful calculations would in any case be very difficult to do . A computer model might be possible .

Note that shot towers were always very high .

4. Feb 12, 2016 #3
    Ok, in my case should calculate high the tower. It use many factors like gravity, mechanical energy, or thermodynamics. I stuck with that. But thank you Nidum for this information it will helpful

5. Feb 12, 2016 #4

JBA

The referenced Wiki site give you the required height and clarifies the method of quenching and transport. The tower height is what is required to only to allow the lead droplet to configure into a spherical shape and then cool to the point that it will not deform upon striking the water pool.

6. Feb 12, 2016 #5
    Thank you your explanation JBA

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook