Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How hot is it?

1. Jul 7, 2010 #1
    :devil: {Drum roll}

It's so hot that it makes me want to take off my skin, and sit in my bones....

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2010 #2
    I can't wait for winter. This weekend it's been all over 40 Celsius... today it rained so it was like a sauna outside. Not very pleasant. The first day was nice I went bike riding to the lake... but it didn't go away... I think it's getting to my head.

4. Jul 7, 2010 #3
    It's about as hot as the hottest days of summer usually get around here. Maybe 5 degrees hotter, but it's really no big deal. This happens every year.

Maybe I'm not suffering so much after spending the last few days in rivers and lakes in New Hampshire though.

5. Jul 7, 2010 #4
    Lol, 40 is only a few degrees hotter than the hottest days around here. If we just look at it in Celsius :tongue:. I think that's almost 110 Farenheit.

6. Jul 7, 2010 #5
    Yeah, that's pretty hot. It's "only" 100 here, but it hits the mid to upper 90s for a few days most summers so it's not all that unexpected.

110 is pretty brutal though. Good luck with that.

7. Jul 7, 2010 #6

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's so hot that I can't wait to get in my non-air conditioned black truck tomorrow and drive 150 miles. :frown:

At least there's a cool creek to sit in when I arrive.

http://home.europa.com/%7Egarry/DSCN2220.jpg" [Broken]

Ooo! Hypatia. You should run up to Porcupine. That looks very inviting

http://bbs.sfw.com.cn/viewthread.php?action=printable&tid=23214" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Jul 7, 2010 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My sympathies to those in the heat wave.

9. Jul 7, 2010 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Om, I will be at the OCF Friday, where do you hang out?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Jul 7, 2010 #9
    It's so hot that the bird of paradise flew up Ed McMahon's nose. I never did get Johnny Carson's humor.

11. Jul 7, 2010 #10
    hot? only mid-90s here. and 70% humidity. which is pretty par for the course in alabama. at least we're not in a drought, anymore, so it's kind of hard to complain.

12. Jul 7, 2010 #11

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Back in April, you could not have convinced me that traveling 500 miles south would involve cooler weather

13. Jul 7, 2010 #12

Evo

Then you've never seen Sis, Boom, Bah

I saw this the night it aired, I thought I would split a gut.

Watch this clip, the best starts at 4:24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlLmS54qn-I

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  14. Jul 7, 2010 #13
    62 degrees and cloudy outside. And it was raining in the morning. RAINING ... IN JULY ... What's next? The dead rising from the grave? Dogs and cats living together?

P.S. oh, and we just had a yet another magnitude 5.4 less than a hundred miles away.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  15. Jul 7, 2010 #14
  16. Jul 7, 2010 #15

turbo

Gold Member

We are headed into yet again another 95+ deg day with oppressive humidity. I don't care much if the meteorologists get to call this a "heat wave" or not - the weather is dangerous, especially if you have respiratory or circulatory problems.

17. Jul 7, 2010 #16

Evo

18. Jul 7, 2010 #17

Evo

It's only bad for people with respiratory problems if there is air stagnation. That was often a problem in Houston since the city was in a hole created by years of pumping water out of the underground lake beneath it. Heat will obviously cause peripheral swelling.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  19. Jul 7, 2010 #18
    Its so hot, the earth is heating the sun.

The other day the thermostat hit 43C in Beijing. :frown:

20. Jul 7, 2010 #19

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Main stage and outside the Ritz. (Check your PM's!)
    Tomorrow we will be at the http://eugeneareaparks.com/park.php?id=82" at Triangle Lake's Creek Falls Fish Ladder, stayin' cool.

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  21. Jul 7, 2010 #20
    Where do you live?

Seriously, I just went to San Diego 2 weeks ago to study at UCSD for the summer and it's like winter right now... so cold I need to wear sweaters to school. :eek:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook