Surviving the Heat: Tips for Staying Cool and Safe

• Thread starter hypatia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, the conversation discusses the extreme heat wave that is currently happening, with temperatures reaching over 40 degrees Celsius. Some people are looking forward to winter and escaping the heat, while others are trying to find ways to cope with it. The effects of the heat, such as respiratory problems, are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a mention of someone living in a cooler area and wishing they could share the relief with those suffering in the heat.
Danger said:
It appears that there has been a bit of miscommunication. I was not thinking in terms of air conditioning, or using it as a crutch at the expense of the environment. A/C is not something that one will normally find in a Canadian home. In fact, my furnace came on a couple of times last night.
Well, if you suffer from a health condition where it would potentially save your life, a/c might not be the worst prescription. It's a pain if you're not used to hot outside temperatures at all and then get hit with a heat wave. I live in a hot climate and am used to listening to people complaining about summer heat when they have to venture outside of the climate controlled universe.

turbo-1 said:
I hope you never develop emphysema or COPD. When you can't breathe, nothing else matters.
Who would wish that on anyone? Like I said, a/c is not a crazy prescription when you're sick. Less radical of an intervention than an iron lung I would say.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is what I see on a daily basis here in Guam. The weather here literally never changes. Good in some ways, but I'm definitely missing the falls and winters and could do without the humidity.

Mostly Cloudy
81 °F
(27 °C)
Humidity: 84 %
Wind Speed: E 9 MPH
Barometer: 29.89"
Dewpoint: 75 °F (24 °C)
Heat Index: 87 °F (31 °C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

Something else just came to mind, perhaps because it's very evident at the moment. Turbo might not have noticed this effect because he's somewhat temperate (aside from his hellacious pepper-based recipes). It is at least 3 times easier for me to breathe when I'm drunk. It isn't an excuse for my alcoholism, since that was in place before I contracted COPD, but it gives me a good incentive to drink excessively. I don't know whether it's due to relaxation of my chest muscles, blood-thinning, dilation of blood vessels, or what... but it is a very real effect. I am up to my *** in Scotch, and am breathing easier and more effectively than I have in the past six months (without using any of my inhalers). It seems that a Scotch drunkenness works, whereas my usual beer-swilling doesn't.

Danger said:
I am up to my *** in Scotch, and am breathing easier and more effectively than I have in the past six months (without using any of my inhalers). It seems that a Scotch drunkenness works, whereas my usual beer-swilling doesn't.

Just don't inhale the Scotch!

hypatia said:
:devil: {Drum roll}

It's so hot that it makes me want to take off my skin, and sit in my bones...

Don't do that it makes you actually hotter, cause your skin at least releases some fluids which then evaporate to keep you a bit cooler.

Make it stop! I can't tolerate heat. I break out in huge red welts, and I stop perspiring. I get very sick.

It's only been average temps, but everyday is at the average temp, which means it's hotter on average. Right?

Evo said:
Make it stop! I can't tolerate heat. I break out in huge red welts, and I stop perspiring. I get very sick.

It's only been average temps, but everyday is at the average temp, which means it's hotter on average. Right?

Right. So, act now against AGW! if you can't stand the heat, don't contribute to global warming.

heusdens said:
Right. So, act now against AGW! if you can't stand the heat, don't contribute to global warming.
AGW=Overpopulation. I only had two children, so I've done my part towards zero population growth.

Evo said:

Seattle, this summer: mid 50s and foggy in the morning, sun breaks out noon-ish and it's 75 by 5:00. You'd be welt-less here.

Evo said:
AGW=Overpopulation. I only had two children, so I've done my part towards zero population growth.

But did you castrate their father and at least 50 other people to prevent further breeding:) That's a joke, btw.

About the heat problems - there was a 99F high a couple days ago and I didn't find my 1hour bike commute that bad. It helps to acclimate if you have the opportunity. Moving to the tropics can help. I feel bad for people in Cyprus, though, 115 was a record there last week, I heard.

How relative is temperature? Do you think acclimatization to a cooler climate can cause people to face greater danger at lower temperatures than those acclimated to higher heat? What could your body possibly do to adapt to high temperature stress except stay calm?

lisab said:
Seattle, this summer: mid 50s and foggy in the morning, sun breaks out noon-ish and it's 75 by 5:00. You'd be welt-less here.
I want to move there.

Evo said:
I want to move there.

Commuting through 40F rain is only better than oppressive heat if you have weatherproof transit.

Currently over 90 deg F with dew point over 70. Nasty, and tomorrow will be more of the same.

Well, here it is near the end of August, and another sunny day in the 90's. I have never experienced a summer like this. Between the excessive heat and the drought, we are at severe risk for forest fires, and wells are running dry. My drilled well is limping by, but the pump for the dug well cavitates before it can get the pressure tank up to the targeted shut-off pressure.

This has to be the hottest, driest summer on record for this state. Dairy farmers who have been getting their butts kicked by regulated (low) milk prices are watching their hay crops and silage crops wilt and die. I know a few locally who are in trouble already, and if they have to buy mid-west grain at current prices to keep their milk-producers alive throughout the winter, they may go under.

turbo-1 said:
This has to be the hottest, driest summer on record for this state. Dairy farmers who have been getting their butts kicked by regulated (low) milk prices are watching their hay crops and silage crops wilt and die. I know a few locally who are in trouble already, and if they have to buy mid-west grain at current prices to keep their milk-producers alive throughout the winter, they may go under.

This reminds me of something I heard once about certain castes in Hinduism being allowed to slaughter and eat beef under drought conditions. I don't know about the validity of the source, since it was hearsay and I read nothing myself, but it did make sense to me at the time that the prohibition on beef slaughter would work as a protection against dairy shortage, but that it would make sense to go ahead and slaughter the beef rather than allowing the cows to dye of thirst/famine. Of course, that is a different dynamic when there is hay to out-source but the cost is high. I guess it would all come down to weighing benefits against costs, and how much you like the cows and don't want to slaughter them - nevermind the value of dairy-cow beef would probably be relatively low.

brainstorm said:
(snip)...nevermind the value of dairy-cow beef would probably be relatively low.
That's another factor in the lose-lose these farmers are facing. The value as beef for human consumption is quite low, unless they can sell the cows to a butcher willing to mis-brand them. The value of a proven milker is only high as long as the farmer can keep her properly nourished to keep production up. In normal years, that entails feeding hay and silage including alfalfa and chopped corn, as well as *some* grain. This winter all the native silage will be in very short supply, and farmers who can't afford to make up the shortfall with hay and grain bought from out-of-state sources will have some very hard choices to make. For certain, some herds will have to be culled to reduce overhead, while keeping the potential for future production viable. It won't be pretty.

you guys are so lucky its hot where you are... here the summer seems to have gone for good this year - its freezing and I'm wearing 2 jumpers... and shivering.

nucleargirl said:
you guys are so lucky its hot where you are... here the summer seems to have gone for good this year - its freezing and I'm wearing 2 jumpers... and shivering.
I'd gladly wear a sweatshirt if I could. It is costing nearly $150/mo to keep this house livable in this heat. I don't know what my electric bill will look like for August, with A/C, and the cost to run a 1hp pump to keep my garden alive. It will be cheaper than losing the produce, but it still won't be a welcome expense.

The forecast is not good. We are lined up for temps into the mid-90's every day until maybe Friday-Saturday, when Earl may soak us. We have had one rainy day since early June.

I hate it when I'm walking Duke and I see cigarette butts along the road-side. Don't those idiots realize how dry it is, and how devastating a wild-fire could be? All for the convenience of not having to stub out the cigarette and put the butt in the ash-tray... Morons!

I just fermented sourdough bread in 15 seconds by showing the starter the temp on the thermometer. It's that hot. :biggrin:

I've been working on several projects at my parents' house, usually outdoors in the heat. It's been near, if not above 90 most days this month.

I have one final load of firewood to split and stack (1-1/4 cord load) and it's just been sitting there in the driveway for weeks. There is no way I am going to roast in the sun in 90+ deg weather to split and throw wood. I stay a whole year ahead, so there's no real hurry. I'll get the wood taken care of and tarp it for the fall, winter, spring. This winter's firewood is already in the shed. When you get a lot of oak in your loads, it's best to use this long-term approach - that stuff cures VERY slowly.

Last edited:
It's not even 60F today, and rainy. I have my fireplace on...it's chilly, and it's still August!

Not too unusual though. Here in the Seattle area we get summers like this one from time to time. I've been here for ~22 years and we get these cool, wet summers about every 5 years or so.

lisab said:
It's not even 60F today, and rainy. I have my fireplace on...it's chilly, and it's still August!

Not too unusual though. Here in the Seattle area we get summers like this one from time to time. I've been here for ~22 years and we get these cool, wet summers about every 5 years or so.
:cry: It was 94 today. And it rained.

Really, it's going to be freakin' September 1st, and 95 degrees here! That makes me so sad... :grumpy:

Whenever we hot a hot summer, we have an excrutiatingly cold winter.

It is cold and wet :(, 55°F

Another day with temps topping out over 90. It's only 88 now with high humidity, under light overcast with barely a breeze. That might all change tonight. I'd love to have some drenching rains, but I don't want Earl to come ashore heading north with heavy winds. The trees here are heavily stressed already, though many of them have lost a lot of leaves and may be able to handle a bit more wind as a result.

We had lots of rain the past two days and now the temperature's down from the 90's with 80% humidity to the 70's with 50% humidity. Thank god

Same here, it's a perfect fall day, if it was fall.

Low 80's, which after truly scorching mid to high 90's is blessed relief. Looks to be a lovely weekend and week coming up however!

Finally! Got some rain when Earl swiped us. My pond gained several inches of water. 80 and climbing here, with high humidity, but it beats the 90+ stuff we had for the last week. The wind last night knocked a few tomatoes off the plants, but there was no serious damage to the garden.

turbo-1 said:
Finally! Got some rain when Earl swiped us. My pond gained several inches of water. 80 and climbing here, with high humidity, but it beats the 90+ stuff we had for the last week. The wind last night knocked a few tomatoes off the plants, but there was no serious damage to the garden.
Great news, now, perhaps, the weather will get back to normal. I was glad when I saw that the winds had fizzled out.

Evo said:
Great news, now, perhaps, the weather will get back to normal. I was glad when I saw that the winds had fizzled out.

Well apparently La Nina is devellopping having some possible impact on the weather.

Good that you can swim again, Turbo, in those inches.

Andre said:
Good that you can swim again, Turbo, in those inches.
More like a foot, now. My property is in a groundwater confluence, so the water level in the pond is getting quite healthy.