1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How hydraulic motor works?

1. Oct 31, 2010 #1
    Hey Respected seniors,
    I wanna know that how the hydraulic motor works?
    Im working as a trainee engineer in a company..
    I watch daily a machine that have hydraulic motor, pump, solenoid valve...
    All these things are for the movement of a shaft which is connected to a jack( I see, there are two cables/nozzles for pump pressures attached with that jack..). ..

PLZ simply tell me how the hydraulic motor, pump, solenoid valve work together?

thanx & best regards

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2010 #2
    Hydraulic motors are basically water wheels. A fluid under pressure pushes against vanes attached to a shaft and makes the shaft turn. After doing a little pushing the fluid is drained from the motor and returned to the pump that pressurized it. The pump itself is just a reversed version of the motor -- something turns a shaft that has vanes which pushes fluid out of a port under pressure.

There should be some good diagrams of these things on wiki or google someplace if you poke around a bit.

Beating the analogy a little further, this is pretty much how an electric motor or generator works as well...see the Hydraulic Analogy.

4. Nov 2, 2010 #3
    thanx alot....

5. Nov 2, 2010 #4
    Actually the machine that I discussed is a SPREADER which is used with CRANES(ship to shore,sts, and rubber tyre gentry,RTG)..
    So If any body is working at PORT then I request him, plz tell me in detail,thanx

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  6. Nov 3, 2010 #5

Danger

Gold Member

The specific application is pretty much irrelevant, except perhaps as regards scale. The pump (vane or lobe type), under the influence of a drive motor, supplies pressurized oil to the motor (which is just a pump fed from the other end). The valve, whether electrical or mechanical, controls the flow of oil into the motor. I don't quite understand the particular matching of a motor with a cylinder (which you called a jack) in this instance.

7. Apr 1, 2013 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook