How I Spent Last Weekend

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Here in the US, Monday was a holiday -- Labor Day. My bf and I did a bit of laboring to celebrate.

Start with a bunch of 6" x 6" Alaskan yellow cedar posts.
w9z9so.jpg

Then start the notches.
35aq1rn.jpg

Clean up the notches.
1j9hrs.jpg

First post up!!!11!
1zcg80i.jpg

Two rows of posts!
vzheom.jpg

It's going to be a heck of a screen porch :biggrin:!

Answers and Replies

nice work. don't forget to kill off the grass underneath and put down weed block and stones.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
nice work. don't forget to kill off the grass underneath and put down weed block and stones.
Definitely will use some kind of block :biggrin:. But the lack of sun and rain will kill what's there, I think.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Nice Post. :wink:

Dembadon
Gold Member
Looking great so far!

turbo
Gold Member
Nice Post. :wink:
Which one, dlg? All the posts look nice.

BTW, who is that cutie cleaning up notches?

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Open mouth, insert foot. :blushing:

I meant the wood post. Really.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

BTW, who is that cutie cleaning up notches?
:wink: You're such a sweet-talker, turbo.

Evo
Mentor
Oooh, a screened porch!! Awesome!

Evo Child and her BF are going to be in Portland (I think) in a couple of weeks, then heading into Canada. Early birthday celebration. Wish I had been invited. :cry:

Bump

How was the last weekend spent, Lisa?

drizzle
Gold Member
Bump

How was the last weekend spent, Lisa?

Nevermind him Lisa. :biggrin:

You look great, btw. :cool:

Evo
Mentor
Nevermind him Lisa. :biggrin:

You look great, btw. :cool:
She does!!

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
OK a bit of an update!

I've been in a battle, one that I'm determined to win. My opponent? English Ivy! It's freakin' evil stuff!!!1!

Afraid I don't have a "before" picture. But here's the final result:

http://imageshack.us/a/img28/4093/ivy1m.jpg [Broken]

http://imageshack.us/a/img5/8398/ivy2.jpg [Broken]

What you're looking at is a tree that was about 1/2 taken over by this evil ivy. I had to hack my way in just to get to the trunk! Then cut the vines (the hardest step) and gently pull it off of the bark.

It was a cold day today, so all the bugs and spiders living in this evil stuff were moving pretty slow. Easier to deal with that way, but still :yuck:.

Under the vines, the bark was soaking wet - I bet it hasn't been totally dry in years. Now I wait for the ivy in the tree to die, then pull it off. Then, see if the tree lives.

I think it's an Ash tree - not sure though.

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Oh and for an idea of the "before" pic, imagine that ivy all the way from the tree to the ground, pretty dense. Ugh.

Evo
Mentor

Attachments

Last edited:
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Now I wait for the ivy in the tree to die, then pull it off. Then, see if the tree lives.
Won't the ivy just come up again in the spring? I'd be using chemicals; carefully, not to damage the tree.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Won't the ivy just come up again in the spring? I'd be using chemicals; carefully, not to damage the tree.
True, it might come back on the ground, and I'm not against going chemical on it. Ivy leaves are waxy though, so herbicides are tricky - you have to use a lot, and you have to make sure the plant is in an active growth phase. Putting herbicides on now would have very little effect.

I'm not done with this evil vine, by no means! But I did win this round :biggrin:. The stuff in the tree will die and the tree might recover.

You don't need to kill the ivy. The ivy will eventually kill the tree if its leaves get too much of the sunlight that the tree leaves need. However, it will take many years before that happens again.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You don't need to kill the ivy. The ivy will eventually kill the tree if its leaves get too much of the sunlight that the tree leaves need. However, it will take many years before that happens again.
I *really* hate ivy, though! It's a scourge on mankind! It harbors all sorts of bugs, spiders, and rodents. It's pure, pure evil!!1!

In fact I have posted about this before, I think...ah yes here it is:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3962462&postcount=3111

turbo
Gold Member
One summer, I worked on the grounds crew of the University of Maine, and I was was tasked with (among other things) clearing the ivy from the walls and windows of the various buildings. I was sworn at, cursed, and called unspeakable names for trimming ivy from the windows of the buildings that were wrapped in that stuff. It's not a good feeling to have professors bitching you out for doing your job.

Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Gold Member
wouldn't roundup for woody plants (poison ivy) work??? as long as you didn't get it on the tree, it should be ok. you might have to take a sponge and wipe it on the leaves/growth of the ivy in the spring. even my friend the environmentalist tells me to do it, especially on invasive species like honey suckle out here in the midwest.

My daughter lives in Portland OR. She had a much smaller ivy problem. After I snipped out pieces of the vine (as in the pictures) I took a paint brush and dabbed Round Up full strength on the ends leading back to the ground.

jhae2.718
Gold Member
You did a full structural analysis first, right? :)