Is Optics Necessary for Physics Majors?

In summary: This topic goes hand in hand with the waves in transmission lines that you will eventually learn about in electrical engineering and computer science courses. 6. Interference - the waves spreading out and creating patterns from their waves interfering with each other. This is covered in detail in electromagnetism and even some introductory courses to physics, but again the mathematics is handled in a much more in-depth way in optics. This is a major part of optics (and indeed all sciences) and understanding the patterns created is a prerequisite to understanding many other things in physics (such as the structure of lasers and other optical devices). 7.
phosgene
So I've just discovered that second year optics is entirely optional for physics majors (and we don't have to take it in third year, either). Since I'm mostly interested in atoms and how their interactions can explain the properties of bulk matter, is optics worth taking? It's my worst and most-hated subject. However, on the other hand, I understand that optics is pretty big in phyiscs, and I'd feel strange if I got my degree without doing much of it at all. I really just want to know if skipping optics would be detrimental for me later on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Optics like lenses, mirrors and so on? While I think this is quite basic (and easy to learn, if necessary), there are many areas in physics where you never need that.
Light and its interaction in matter with relation to quantum mechanics? This looks more important for solid-state physics.

Third year optics is basically geometric optics (thin/thick lenses), basic wave mechanics, the derivation of the wave nature of light (Maxwell's equations to develop the wave equation and observance of plane wave solutions in free space, then some basic discussion of what happens when waves hit dielectric boundaries (reflection and refraction), etc.), the polarization of light, interference, diffraction, application of wave mechanics to the original lens situation (diffraction limited lens), probably Fourier transforms and their use in the mathematics of diffraction, and some more nuance topics depending on professors (waves in transmission lines, holography, lasers, etc.)

I will go through each of these topics individually, their relevance to other undergraduate physics courses (especially condensed matter which I am going to make the assumption that you are specifically referring to solid state physics), their degree of treatment in optics versus other courses (so you know what you will be getting anyway without taking a specific optics course), and then finally I will make some general statements about the value of optics as a physics course for undergraduates. There is a "too long; didn't read" (tl;dr) at the end that also discusses my feelings towards the necessity of the subject for the undergraduate.

1. Geometric optics - This is certainly a topic exclusive to optics courses save what experience you may have from an introductory survey course (this is the study of light from a straight-line particle-like ray standpoint as it traverses lenses). Something physics majors should know and is useful (mainly in the course of experimental techniques), but don't lose sleep over this one. You can learn a lot of this on your own (though this is true about everything, geometric optics is not that difficult and is usually the beginnings of any optics book. Note, however, that this goes well beyond your thin lens equation (it's non-trivial) learned in survey courses by introducing more formal (probably) arguments such as Fermat's principle, thick lenses, ray tracing techniques (huge series of matrix multiplications), aberrations, etc.) Not very relevant in other courses, but every now and then you will see a lens used for a particular reason in an experiment or something.

2. Basic wave mechanics - The basic mathematics of waves and how they are treated in the context of electromagnetic waves. This is a definite overlap with many other courses you have/will have taken. Specifically quantum adresses waves, electromagnetism courses cover the same material in similar detail, introductory courses, etc. So you will get it anyway, but nevertheless this would be good practice! Obviously relevant for many fields of physics (the mathematics of waves is very present in solid state physics.)

3. The derivation of the wave nature of light - treated in electromagnetism.

4. Reflection and refraction - studies the wave treatment of reflection and refraction (amplitude loses of the waves at dielectric boundaries, polarization shifts at boundaries, etc.) You will get this in your electromagnetism course so again no loss just practice/familiarity.

The following 4 topics are really the beef of the course and the reason for taking it. You will certainly see thinks like polarization of light and interference of waves in other courses, but the subjects are treated in much more detail and are of main instead of secondary consideration like they usually appear in other courses (for example the interference in double slit interference in quantum mechanics isn't as important for that course as the idea behind the experiment! Though obviously it is necessary to understand it, there will not be much detail given to the mathematical basis to the interference patterns in quantum mechanics..)

5. Polarization - the exact direction and path of motion of the oscillations of the electric field in light. This topic will definitely be seen in and dealt with in electromagnetism and even other courses such as statistical mechanics (knowledge of the different polarizations of light go into calculations like the blackbody spectrum.) However, the optics course will go into much more detail. Circular, and elliptical polarizations, quater wave plates, Jones vectors, etc. Again, the basic knowledge here (though it's only the kind of knowledge that could also be found in an electrodynamics text) is useful for some of the calculations in solid state physics.

6. Interference - Along with diffraction, the most useful reasons to take the course. Although interference is also treated in many other courses, the treatment here is quite thorough and in detail unlike what you will experience in other courses. Typically otherwise unaddressed topics include looking at multi-slit interference, thin film interference, interferometry, etc. Very useful for other physics courses, but usually that which is useful is at least basically treated as forwards in the sections that the concepts appear in other courses. I would still say that the formal treatment is one of the reasons for taking this course.

7. Diffraction - Very thorough treatment of diffraction that is mostly untreated in other physics courses. What I consider to be the beef of the course, be prepared to analyze this funny spiral shape called the "cornu spiral" to evaluate some particularly nasty integrals called the "Fresnel integrals". As far as uses? Everything from why Blu-Ray DVDs
are better to the immensely useful solid state physics topic of x-ray diffraction. It is true, however, that like double slit interference, the single slit diffraction pattern is about the most prevalent diffraction game in town and the mathematical form of the diffraction pattern could just be given to you in other courses where it comes up. Also many of the equations that are extremely useful are very easy to derive and/or could just be given to you (Bragg's law for x-ray diffraction of crystals.)

8. Fourier transforms - Application to the theory of diffraction.

Nuance topics - Professor dependent so I won't say much about it. I will say that transmission lines (optical fibers) are treated in electrodynamics, holography is usually barely touched on by professors at the end of the semester, etc. Also it's very important to realize that this is all from my prospective of what I saw myself go through in undergraduate optics as well as other syllabi I've seen from other undergraduate optics classes at other universities. My university is a pretty standard one in Texas, though I believe we didn't quite do as much as other universities (that are good).

The big picture (also the tl;dr heh, I was going to erase a lot of what I wrote in the interest of not going into too much detail that wasn't even well written but I said screw it I had already written it and who knows what might be useful to you): I would definitely say that this course is very useful. Experimental tools in particular are abundant in the field of optics (lenses, interferometry, interference/diffraction, lasers, etc.) However, I would say that it is something you could miss and shouldn't lose sleep over. Based on the length of this post you might have thought I was going to say that it is a must-take course, but really as long as you are very keen in your advanced undergraduate electrodynamics course when electromagnetic waves are discussed you are really only missing geometric optics (bleh, also easy to learn on your own), and advanced takes at polarization/interference/diffraction. The stuff that is useful for solid state is overwhelmingly the basic stuff that I wouldn't be too concerned about taking an actual course on. If you are really truly set on going into solid state physics I would say that your biggest focus should be on statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics. Electrodynamics is also quite useful. Optics? It takes its place as a nuance pedigree that will always help, never hurt, but the case of necessarily taking a full course is a hard one.

It took this course as my very first advanced undergraduate course, so I gained a lot from it. However if you are keen in your electrodynamics, and don't go into "damage control" mode in likely the second semester of the advanced electrodynamics course when many overlaps with an optics course are to be had, then this course might have a large superflous component. However, think on the bright side, this course could definitely serve as a GPA boost, but don't go overboard with that, it's still a legitimate physics course - don't expect it to be easy, it's only easy relative to courses like electrodynamics and mechanics imo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies :) Given the overlap with other courses, I think I might as well just take it. It should give me some practice so that I don't have as hard a time understanding the optics components in other courses. Thanks again guys!

Edit: also, I had no idea that what I was interested in was called 'solid state physics'. You learn something new every day (at least I hope I do).

Last edited:
dydxforsn wrote a huuuge reply. :O
i might read it someday :P
(phosgene sorry for reply i know it doesn't help you at all)

1. How does optics impact our daily lives?

Optics plays a crucial role in our daily lives as it is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light. Many technologies that are essential in our daily lives, such as cameras, televisions, and smartphones, rely on optics to function. Additionally, optics is used in medical imaging, transportation, and communication systems, making it an integral part of our modern society.

2. What is the importance of optics in scientific research?

Optics is essential in scientific research as it allows scientists to observe and study objects and phenomena that are too small or too far away to be seen with the naked eye. With the help of advanced optical instruments, scientists can gather data and make important discoveries in fields such as astronomy, biology, and chemistry.

3. How does optics contribute to technological advancements?

Optics is the foundation of many modern technologies, and advancements in this field have led to significant improvements in various industries. For example, the development of optical fibers has revolutionized telecommunication, making it possible to transmit large amounts of data quickly and efficiently. Optics is also crucial in the development of renewable energy sources and advanced manufacturing processes.

4. Why is understanding optics important in designing optical devices?

Understanding optics is crucial in designing optical devices as it allows engineers to manipulate and control light to achieve specific functions. For example, by understanding the principles of optics, engineers can design lenses, mirrors, and other components that can focus, magnify, or filter light. This knowledge is essential in creating efficient and reliable optical devices for various applications.

5. How does studying optics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Studying optics is essential in our understanding of the universe as it allows us to observe and analyze objects and phenomena in space. Telescopes, which are based on optical principles, enable us to see distant galaxies, stars, and planets, providing valuable insights into the nature of the universe. Furthermore, studying optics has also led to the development of techniques such as spectroscopy, which helps us understand the chemical composition and properties of celestial objects.