How important is topology for modern mathematics?

In summary: Topology is the study of the properties of spaces that don't change when you deform them. Homotopy is the study of how spaces are related at the level of loops. Cohomology is the study of how spaces are related at the level of cohomology groups.
kramer733
And what's considered modern mathematics? I always thought it was 1960s+. Around 50 years ago till now is what i considered modern math.

Anyway, how important is topology? I've heard people say "the idea of evolution to biology is the same as the ideas of topology to mathematics." So is it really that important?

Physics news on Phys.org
well...

yes

You need solid knowledge of topology to study any advanced field of mathematics.

Evolution is the unifying principle in biology. Topology is the third most pervasive branch of mathematics.

zhentil said:
Evolution is the unifying principle in biology. Topology is the third most pervasive branch of mathematics.

What are the other ones?

A lot of theorems in real analysis are just corollaries of theorems in topology. Most books on functional analysis are impossible to even begin to read if you don't know topology really well.

Analysis and algebra, where the ordering is a matter of taste. As a geometer, I say analysis, but I'm sure 50+-epsilon% of mathematicians disagree with me.

Fredrik said:
A lot of theorems in real analysis are just corollaries of theorems in topology. Most books on functional analysis are impossible to even begin to read if you don't know topology really well.

This seems a bit backward. Do you mean that the first half of a point set topology book is a generalization of the concepts and results of metric spaces? Also, I didn't need more than the definition of a quotient space when I took functional analysis. Topology to me means homotopy and cohomology. I doubt it could be argued that point set topology has had a profound impact on modern mathematics.

zhentil said:
This seems a bit backward. Do you mean that the first half of a point set topology book is a generalization of the concepts and results of metric spaces? Also, I didn't need more than the definition of a quotient space when I took functional analysis. Topology to me means homotopy and cohomology. I doubt it could be argued that point set topology has had a profound impact on modern mathematics.

Uuh, you mustn't have gone far in functional analysis then... Functional analysis requires quite a lot of point-set topology. Separability, compactness, Tychonoff theorem, Urysohn lemma, etc., you really think you don't need this?

In practically every branch of math that I know, I use point-set topology: geometry or analysis. Topology had a huge impact on math.

This is not a discussion of chronology or impact, it's about the actual usage in mathematics. Point set topology is a must.

zhentil said:
This seems a bit backward. Do you mean that the first half of a point set topology book is a generalization of the concepts and results of metric spaces?
I if you meant to metric spaces, then yes. For example, the result "a subset of the real numbers is compact if and only if it's closed and bounded" can be thought of as a corollary of the slightly more general "a subset of a metric space is compact if and only if it's complete and totally bounded".

zhentil said:
Also, I didn't need more than the definition of a quotient space when I took functional analysis.
As micromass said, it doesn't take long until you need some of the deep theorems like Urysohn, Tychonoff, etc., but what I really meant was that if you can't quickly prove e.g. that a subset of a metric space has compact closure if and only if it's totally bounded, or that a compact Hausdorff space is normal, don't even bother opening Conway's book.

They're not all as difficult to read as Conway, but you certainly need a lot of theorems about metric and topological spaces no matter what book you choose.

(Apologies if I got any of those theorems wrong. I don't feel like thinking it through right now).

zhentil said:
Topology to me means homotopy and cohomology.
OK, that's not what it means to me. :smile:

Last edited:

1. How does topology contribute to modern mathematics?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of spaces and shapes that are preserved under continuous deformations, such as stretching, bending, and twisting. It provides a framework for understanding and analyzing complex structures and patterns, making it an essential tool in many areas of modern mathematics.

2. What are some applications of topology in real-world problems?

Topology has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, biology, computer science, and engineering. For example, in physics, topology is used to study the behavior of materials and systems, while in biology, it helps to understand the structure and function of biomolecules. In computer science, topology is used in data analysis and visualization, and in engineering, it is used in designing networks and optimizing systems.

3. How does topology relate to other branches of mathematics?

Topology has connections to many other branches of mathematics, such as geometry, algebra, and analysis. It provides a geometric framework for understanding abstract algebraic structures and allows for the application of analytical techniques to study topological spaces. It also has connections to differential equations, which are used to model physical phenomena.

4. What are some fundamental concepts in topology?

Some fundamental concepts in topology include continuity, compactness, connectedness, and homotopy. Continuity refers to the property of a function that preserves the structure of a space, while compactness and connectedness are properties of topological spaces that describe their size and structure. Homotopy, on the other hand, is a fundamental concept that studies the continuous deformations of spaces.

5. How important is topology in understanding the structure of the universe?

Topology plays a crucial role in understanding the structure of the universe. The study of cosmology, which seeks to understand the origin and evolution of the universe, relies heavily on topological concepts and techniques. Topology is also used in the study of general relativity, which describes the curvature of space-time and the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.