How, in general, do you expand an expression in powers of some variable?

In summary, expanding in powers is just Taylor's series in several variables, and in this case, we are expanding the function L\circ g about the point \vec{v}^2, with the assumption that \vec{\epsilon} is small, leading us to ignore terms with higher powers of \vec{\epsilon}. The derivative \frac{\partial L}{\partial \vec{v}^2} is just the derivative of L evaluated at the point \vec{v}^2, which is a function of one variable, so it becomes L'(\vec{v}^2).
AxiomOfChoice
How, in general, do you "expand" an expression in powers of some variable?

I'm studying mechanics right now out of the Landau-Lifschitz book, and he often talks about expanding expressions. But I honestly don't know how to do this, in general. I know about forming Taylor expansions of functions of one variable, but when things get to more than one variable, I start to get confused. Let me give you an example: Apparently, if we expand a function

[tex]
L(\vec{v}^2 + 2\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon} + \vec{\epsilon}^2)
[/tex]

"in powers of [tex]\vec{\epsilon}[/tex]," to first order, where [tex]\vec{\epsilon}[/tex] is some infinitesimal vector, we get

[tex]
L(\vec{v}^2) + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \vec{v}^2} 2 \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon}.
[/tex]

Could someone please explain why that is? You know, how to get that? And what's so special about expanding "in powers of [tex]\vec{\epsilon}[/tex]?" As best I can tell, we are letting [tex]\vec{\epsilon} = 0[/tex] when we do the expansion. So are we expanding [tex]L[/tex] about [tex]\vec{\epsilon} = 0[/tex]? If so, why are we taking a partial of [tex]L[/tex] with respect to [tex]\vec{v}^2[/tex]?

I have tried to use the information provided at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Series to figure this out - particularly what's at the bottom of the page - but without much success.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

a simple generalization easily seen by expanding by each variable in turn
let x,h be vectors
D the vector derivative so h.D is the directional derivative times h's magnitude
f(x+h)=exp(h.D)f(x)=f(x)+[h.D]f(x)+[(h.D)^2]f(x)/2!+[(h.D)^3]f+...+[(h.D)^k]f(x)/k!+...

If you are asking about how to get that and why it involves a derivative, "expanding in powers" is just the Taylor's series: The Taylor's series for function f(x), about x= a is
[tex]f(a)+ \frac{df}{dx}(x-a)+ \frac{1}{2}\frac{d^2f}{dx^2}(x- a)^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]
[tex]= \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{n!}\frac{d^n f}{dx^n} (x- a)^n[/tex]
Of course, if f is a function of several variables, that derivative just becomes the partial derivative with respect to the relevant variable.

I'am a little confused about this expansion too.

[tex]
L(\vec{v'}^2) = L(\vec{v}^2 + 2\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon} + \vec{\epsilon}^2)
[/tex]

At point [tex]a = \vec{v}'^2 = \vec{v}^2 + 2\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon} + \vec{\epsilon}^2[/tex] this expands to

[tex]
\begin{align*}
L(\vec{v'}^2) &= L(\vec{v}^2) + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \vec{v'}^2} ( \vec{v}^2 + 2 \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon} + \vec{\epsilon}^2 - \vec{v}^2) + \cdots \\

&= L(\vec{v}^2) + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \vec{v'}^2} ( 2 \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon} + \vec{\epsilon}^2) + \cdots\\

&= L(\vec{v}^2) + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \vec{v'}^2} 2 \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon} + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \vec{v'}^2} \vec{\epsilon}^2 + \cdots
\end{align*}
[/tex]
We leave just two terms and drop everything else, because then [tex]\vec{\epsilon}[/tex] approaches [tex]0[/tex] everything else is a lot smaller.

So we get
[tex]
L(\vec{v}^2) + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \vec{v'}^2} 2 \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon}
[/tex]
The remaining question is how to get?
[tex]
\partial \vec{v'}^2 = \partial \vec{v}^2
[/tex]

In principle this is just Taylor's theorem in several variables. In physics this is used extensively, but I also don't always directly see how it is done. So I decided to write it out in a more formal way.

We have a function of one variable [tex]L:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}: x\mapsto L(x)[/tex], and the inner product, a function of n variables, [tex]g:\mathbb{R}^n\to\mathbb{R}:\vec{x}\mapsto \vec{x}\cdot\vec{x}=\vec{x}^2.[/tex]

We are interested in the composition [tex]L\circ g:\mathbb{R}^n\to\mathbb{R}[/tex], evaluated at [tex]\vec{v}+\vec{\epsilon}[/tex], since this is indeed [tex](L\circ g)(\vec{v}+\vec{\epsilon})=L((\vec{v}+\vec{\epsilon})^2)=L(\vec{v}^2+2\vec{v}\cdot\vec{\epsilon}+\vec{\epsilon}^2)[/tex]. We're going to appoximate this assuming epsilon is small.

Taylor's theorem from Wikipedia says [tex]T(\vec{x}) = f(\vec{a}) + (\vec{x} - \vec{a})^T\mathrm{D} f(\vec{a}) + \frac{1}{2!} (\vec{x} - \vec{a})^T \,\{\mathrm{D}^2 f(\vec{a})\}\,(\vec{x} - \vec{a}) + \cdots[/tex], for the Taylor expansion of f around the point a.

Substituting [tex]a=v, h=\epsilon, x=a+h=v+\epsilon[/tex], we get [tex]T(\vec{v}+\vec{\epsilon}) = f(\vec{v}) + (\vec{\epsilon})^T\mathrm{D} f(\vec{v}) + \frac{1}{2!} (\vec{\epsilon})^T \,\{\mathrm{D}^2 f(\vec{v})\}\vec{\epsilon} + \cdots[/tex].

Now, the assumption that epsilon is small leads to the ignoring of powers of epsilon greater than one, i.e. all terms from [tex]\frac{1}{2!} (\vec{\epsilon})^T \,\{\mathrm{D}^2 f(\vec{v})\}\vec{\epsilon} + \cdots[/tex] on are ignored because of the occurence of at least two epsilon factors (here under the disguise of [tex](\vec{\epsilon})^T[/tex] and [tex]\vec{\epsilon}[/tex]).

Now we compute this for [tex]f=L\circ g[/tex]:
[tex]T(\vec{v}+\vec{\epsilon}) = (L\circ g)(\vec{v}) + (\vec{\epsilon})^T\mathrm{D} (L\circ g)(\vec{v})[/tex], using the chain rule in several dimensions: [tex]D(L\circ g)(x)=DL(g(x))\circ Dg(x)[/tex]. Since [tex]L[/tex] is just a function of one variable, this is equal to the product of the number [tex]L'(g(x))[/tex], i.e. the derivative of L evaluated at the point g(x), with the vector [tex]Dg(x)[/tex].

Now, since [tex]g(\vec{x})=x_1^2+x_2^2+...+x_n^2[/tex], we have

[tex]Dg(\vec{x})=\left(\frac{\partial g}{\partial x_1},\frac{\partial g}{\partial x_2},...,\frac{\partial g}{\partial x_n}\right)=(2x_1,2x_1,...,2x_n)[/tex].

So
[tex]T(\vec{v}+\vec{\epsilon}) = (L\circ g)(\vec{v}) + (\vec{\epsilon})^T\mathrm{D} (L\circ g)(\vec{v})[/tex]

[tex]=L(\vec{v}^2)+(\vec{\epsilon})^TL'(\vec{v}^2)Dg(\vec{v})[/tex]
[tex]=L(\vec{v}^2)+L'(\vec{v}^2)(\epsilon_1,\epsilon_2,...,\epsilon_n)\cdot (2v_1,2v_1,...,2v_n)[/tex]
[tex]={L(\vec{v}^2)+L'(\vec{v}^2)2\vec{\epsilon}\cdot\vec{v}[/tex].

The only question is, what do L&L mean by [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \vec{v}^2}[/tex]? [tex]L[/tex] is just a function of one variable, so it doesn't really make sense to talk about partial derivatives. My notation [tex]L'(\vec{v}^2)[/tex] is unambiguous: THE derivative of L, evualated at [tex]\vec{v}^2[/tex].

Landau said:
In principle this is just Taylor's theorem in several variables. In physics this is used extensively, but I also don't always directly see how it is done. So I decided to write it out in a more formal way.

I think your way is too difficult in this case. Why do you expand in several variables?

I found the answer and will correct my previous post soon.

[tex]
L(x) = L(\vec{v'}^2) = L(\vec{v}^2 + 2\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon} + \vec{\epsilon}^2)
[/tex]

At point [tex]a = \vec{v}^2[/tex] this expands to

[tex]
\begin{align*}
L(x) &= L(a) + \frac{d L(a)}{d x} ( x - a) + \cdots \\

&= L(\vec{v}^2) + \frac{d L(\vec{v}^2)}{d x} ( \vec{v}^2 + 2 \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon} + \vec{\epsilon}^2 - \vec{v}^2) + \cdots \\

&= L(\vec{v}^2) + \frac{d L(\vec{v}^2)}{d x} ( 2 \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon} + \vec{\epsilon}^2) + \cdots\\

&= L(\vec{v}^2) + \frac{d L(\vec{v}^2)}{d x} 2 \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon} + \frac{d L(\vec{v}^2)}{d x} \vec{\epsilon}^2 + \cdots
\end{align*}
[/tex]
We leave just two terms and drop everything else, because then [tex]\vec{\epsilon}[/tex] approaches [tex]0[/tex] everything else is a lot smaller.

[tex]d x = d(\vec{v}^2 + 2\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon} + \vec{\epsilon}^2) = 2 d(\vec{v}) + 2 \vec{\epsilon} d(\vec{v}) = (1+\vec{\epsilon}) 2 d(\vec{v}) = (1+\vec{\epsilon}) d(\vec{v}^2)[/tex]

Because [tex]\vec{\epsilon}[/tex] approaches [tex]0[/tex] and is a lot smaller then [tex]1[/tex] we drop it. So

[tex]d x = d(\vec{v}^2)[/tex]

And finally
[tex]
L(\vec{v}^2) + \frac{d L(\vec{v}^2)}{d \vec{v}^2} 2 \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon}
[/tex]

Marius said:
I think your way is too difficult in this case.
I don't think it is difficult, I just thoroughly explained what I was doing and using.
Why do you expand in several variables?
How can you not expand in several variables, given that we are considering n-dimensional vectors [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] (of course, in classical mechanics, n=3)?
Marius said:
[tex]
L(x) = L(\vec{v'}^2) =...[/tex]
[tex]
= L(\vec{v}^2) + \frac{d L(\vec{v}^2)}{d x} ( \vec{v}^2 + 2 \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon} + \vec{\epsilon}^2 - \vec{v}^2) + \cdots [/tex]
I'm a bit confused about your notation. What does the expression [tex]\frac{d L(\vec{v}^2)}{d x}[/tex] mean? Just [tex]L'(\vec{v}^2)[/tex], the derivative of L evaluated at the point [tex]\vec{v}^2[/tex]? My problem with this notation is the use of d/dx; it suggests you are differentiating 'with respect to x' (whatever that means for a function of one variable), but you earlier defined x as v'^2.
Same here:
[tex]d x = d(\vec{v}^2 + 2\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon} + \vec{\epsilon}^2) = 2 d(\vec{v}) + 2 \vec{\epsilon} d(\vec{v}) = (1+\vec{\epsilon}) 2 d(\vec{v}) = (1+\vec{\epsilon}) d(\vec{v}^2)[/tex]

Because [tex]\vec{\epsilon}[/tex] approaches [tex]0[/tex] and is a lot smaller then [tex]1[/tex] we drop it. So

[tex]d x = d(\vec{v}^2)[/tex]

And finally
[tex]
L(\vec{v}^2) + \frac{d L(\vec{v}^2)}{d \vec{v}^2} 2 \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\epsilon}
[/tex]
what does the expression [tex]\frac{d L(\vec{v}^2)}{d \vec{v}^2}[/tex] mean?

Maybe my problem is that following mathematics courses has made me unconfortable with this kind of 'physics approach', of just calculating things like [tex]d(\vec{v}^2)[/tex], and substituting the result in the 'denominator of the derivative'.

Landau said:
How can you not expand in several variables, given that we are considering n-dimensional vectors [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] (of course, in classical mechanics, n=3)?
But [tex]\vec{v'}^2[/tex] is scalar.

Landau said:
I'm a bit confused about your notation.

Oh, of course, you are right, this notation is strange. Now I'm confused too :)

1. How do you expand an expression in powers of a variable?

To expand an expression in powers of a variable, you can use the binomial theorem or the method of undetermined coefficients. The binomial theorem is used when the expression contains binomial terms, while the method of undetermined coefficients is used when the expression contains arbitrary terms.

2. What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a formula used to expand binomial terms raised to a certain power. It states that (a+b)^n = a^n + na^(n-1)b + (n(n-1)/2!)a^(n-2)b^2 + ... + b^n, where n is a positive integer.

3. How does the method of undetermined coefficients work?

The method of undetermined coefficients involves assuming the expanded expression has the form of a polynomial in the variable. The coefficients of the polynomial are then determined by equating coefficients of the original expression and the expanded expression.

4. Can any expression be expanded in powers of a variable?

No, not every expression can be expanded in powers of a variable. This method only works for expressions that contain terms with the variable raised to a power, such as x^2 or y^3.

5. What is the purpose of expanding an expression in powers of a variable?

Expanding an expression in powers of a variable allows us to simplify and manipulate the expression to make it easier to evaluate or solve for certain values. It is commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics to solve problems and derive equations.