How infinity can be used in mathematics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of using infinity in mathematics, specifically in regards to the question of how many times an event would occur if it had an infinitely small chance of happening, an infinitely large test area, and an infinitely small amount of time. The conversation highlights the need for more specific information and the misuse of the term infinity in this context.
musky_ox
Here is the question that was plaguing me:
If there was an infinitely small chance of something happening, but an infinitely large test area, and and infinitely small amount of time for it to happen in, how many times would it happen?

Now, i am not sure how infinity can be used in mathematics. I am just starting calculus.

Here are some questions:
Can you say that 1/infinity is just a limit of 0?

What would you say for infinity/infinity? Would this simply be undefined? If you said that both were equally infinite, logically would the answer would be infinity still, or 1? :eek:

However, if you had infinity/infinity squared...? When i think of this, i picture a really small time, a really large space, and a really small chance of the happening. It seems that it should logically happen once, but not mathematically.

Please give me your thoughts on this, i could be totally wrong with this since I am not sure if i can use infinity like this. :bugeye: Not sure whether this should have been in the physics forum because its kind of abstract, but i couldn't post there for some reason.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
musky_ox said:
Here is the question that was plaguing me:
If there was an infinitely small chance of something happening, but an infinitely large test area, and and infinitely small amount of time for it to happen in, how many times would it happen?

You have to be a bit more careful with infinity. When you say "infinitely small" does that mean zero or small but finite? It makes a difference! Likewise for "infinitely large area" - finite or infinite?

musky_ox said:
Now, i am not sure how infinity can be used in mathematics. I am just starting calculus.

I think the word you're looking for is infinitesimal. In calculus it means "arbitrarily small." For example, you could divide a domain into aribitrarily small pieces and end up with an aribtrarily large number of pieces.

musky_ox said:
Here are some questions:
Can you say that 1/infinity is just a limit of 0?

No, but you can say that [itex]\frac {1}{n}[/itex] gets arbitrarily close to zero as n becomes arbitrarily large.

musky_ox said:
What would you say for infinity/infinity? Would this simply be undefined? If you said that both were equally infinite, logically would the answer would be infinity still, or 1? :eek:

See my previous comment!

musky_ox said:
However, if you had infinity/infinity squared...? When i think of this, i picture a really small time, a really large space, and a really small chance of the happening. It seems that it should logically happen once, but not mathematically.

infinity/infinity simply makes no sense mathematically. In calculus, the result depends on the details of how both the numerator and denominater become aribtrarily large.

Okay i will clarify that... i mean infinite as in no end... not just a large number. What i was trying to say was:

You have a never ending space in all directions, and an the chance of an event ocurring is 0.0000...1 (1/infinity). You have the smallest possible time period; there is a time, but it is the closest thing possible to 0. When you first think of the situation, you think it would happen infinite times, but if i said say that that they were both equally infinite, would they cancel out? I am not sure if there is some way to communicate this. Lots of people look at it and say "well the top of the equation is infinite, so it is automatically larger than any value in the denominator and thus the answer must be infinite." However, the chance of it happening is also infinitly small.

You cannot draw any conclusions without specifics as I indicated in my previous post. You're implying that the "probability per unit area" changes in some manner with the total area and then you're letting the total area tend toward infinity. Do you have a specific problem in mind?

Its a purely abstract idea, id like to know what you get from it.

If there was an infinitely small chance of something happening, but an infinitely large test area in which it could happen in, and it was given an infinitely small amount of time to happen in, how many times would it happen theoretically?

musky_ox said:
the chance of an event ocurring is 0.0000...1 (1/infinity).

No, no and no again, that makes no sense in the real numbers. (An infinite number of 0s then a 1 presumably.)

Nor is there the smallest non-zero time period (time is not qunatized in the usual model).

You are completely misusing the word infinity. There are several well defined situations when one can talk about infinite objects in many senses, especially in probability: that is what measure theory does, but this is not one of them.

Let us demonstrate by example why you need to give more information:

Let us suppose you are "picking a point at random from the (positive) real numbers" which is what you're basically attempting to describe. What is the probability that number lies in [0,1]? or [1,2], or [2,3],... if it were the same non-zero probablitity in each, say, e, then e+e+e... must equal 1, but that's non-sense, hence you need some better description of how the probabilities are distributed.

1. What is the concept of infinity in mathematics?

The concept of infinity in mathematics refers to the idea of a quantity or value that is unbounded or limitless. It is often represented by the symbol ∞ and is used to describe a number or set that has no end.

2. How is infinity used in calculus?

In calculus, infinity is used to represent the limit of a function as it approaches a certain value. It is also used in the concept of infinite series, where the sum of an infinite number of terms can approach a finite value.

3. Can infinity be multiplied or divided?

No, infinity cannot be multiplied or divided like regular numbers. Any number multiplied by infinity will result in infinity and any number divided by infinity will result in 0.

4. How is infinity used in geometry?

In geometry, infinity is used to represent points or lines that extend infinitely in both directions. It is also used in the concept of limits and infinite shapes, such as a Mobius strip.

5. Is infinity a number?

No, infinity is not considered a number in the traditional sense. It is a concept used in mathematics to represent a value that is unbounded or limitless.