How Is Energy Stored?

• Thread starter armolinasf
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm curious as to how energy captured by things like solar panels and wind turbines are stored since they come and go so to speak. Wouldn't be necessary to store that energy when either the sun isn't shinning or when the wind isn't blowing? So my questions is how is it stored?

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
Typically, the energy from large wind turbines is not stored. Energy from solar panels may be, with batteries. There is enough capacity with the more traditional energy production methods to make up the difference when renewables aren't available. There aren't enough renewables for it to be a big issue.

So my questions is how is it stored?
It's not. All this "green energy" is a load of BS, paid for by the government to quiet down the liberals and get democratic votes. The real energy still comes from the black stuff which runs 24/7.

Also in hydroelectric plants, I heard they pump water back up when too much energy is being produced.

Energy can be stored in batteries or else it has to be consumed as and when it is generated.

thanks for the replies, the article on capacitors was really informative

cjl
Science Advisor
It's not. All this "green energy" is a load of BS, paid for by the government to quiet down the liberals and get democratic votes. The real energy still comes from the black stuff which runs 24/7.

Also in hydroelectric plants, I heard they pump water back up when too much energy is being produced.
Well, to be more accurate, the baseload capacity still comes from coal and nuclear, with hydroelectric playing a role as well.

(Coal alone makes up something around 60-70% if I remember right, at least in the US)

https://flowcharts.llnl.gov/content/energy/energy_archive/energy_flow_2009/LLNL_US_Energy_Flow_2009.png" [Broken]

Electricity generation in the US for 2009:
Type Percent
Coal 47.92%
Nuclear 21.86%
NG 18.43%
Hydro 6.97%
Wind 1.83%
Bio 1.13%
Petro 1.02%
Geo 0.84%
Solar 0.03%
Total 100.00%

Last edited by a moderator:
mheslep
Gold Member
To the extent energy is 'stored' in the US, probably most of this is done by not using hydroelectric (allowing the water level to rise), and by not using natural gas fired peak load plants.

https://flowcharts.llnl.gov/content/energy/energy_archive/energy_flow_2009/LLNL_US_Energy_Flow_2009.png" [Broken]

Electricity generation in the US for 2009:
Type Percent
Coal 47.92%
Nuclear 21.86%
NG 18.43%
Hydro 6.97%
Wind 1.83%
Bio 1.13%
Petro 1.02%
Geo 0.84%
Solar 0.03%
Total 100.00%
Interesting.. We don't rely on coal as much as people like to scare us.

What does NG stand for though?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.. We don't rely on coal as much as people like to scare us.

What does NG stand for though?
Natural gas, I think.