How Is Energy Stored? Answers & Explanations

• Thread starter armolinasf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, renewable energy sources like wind and solar are not typically stored, but instead there is enough capacity with traditional energy sources to make up for any gaps. Some energy can be stored in batteries, and in hydroelectric plants, excess energy can be used to pump water back up for later use. The majority of energy in the US still comes from coal and nuclear, with natural gas and other renewables playing smaller roles.
armolinasf
I'm curious as to how energy captured by things like solar panels and wind turbines are stored since they come and go so to speak. Wouldn't be necessary to store that energy when either the sun isn't shinning or when the wind isn't blowing? So my questions is how is it stored?

Physics news on Phys.org
Typically, the energy from large wind turbines is not stored. Energy from solar panels may be, with batteries. There is enough capacity with the more traditional energy production methods to make up the difference when renewables aren't available. There aren't enough renewables for it to be a big issue.

armolinasf said:
So my questions is how is it stored?

It's not. All this "green energy" is a load of BS, paid for by the government to quiet down the liberals and get democratic votes. The real energy still comes from the black stuff which runs 24/7.

Also in hydroelectric plants, I heard they pump water back up when too much energy is being produced.

Energy can be stored in batteries or else it has to be consumed as and when it is generated.

thanks for the replies, the article on capacitors was really informative

Curl said:
It's not. All this "green energy" is a load of BS, paid for by the government to quiet down the liberals and get democratic votes. The real energy still comes from the black stuff which runs 24/7.

Also in hydroelectric plants, I heard they pump water back up when too much energy is being produced.

Well, to be more accurate, the baseload capacity still comes from coal and nuclear, with hydroelectric playing a role as well.

(Coal alone makes up something around 60-70% if I remember right, at least in the US)

https://flowcharts.llnl.gov/content/energy/energy_archive/energy_flow_2009/LLNL_US_Energy_Flow_2009.png"

Electricity generation in the US for 2009:
Type Percent
Coal 47.92%
Nuclear 21.86%
NG 18.43%
Hydro 6.97%
Wind 1.83%
Bio 1.13%
Petro 1.02%
Geo 0.84%
Solar 0.03%
Total 100.00%

Last edited by a moderator:
To the extent energy is 'stored' in the US, probably most of this is done by not using hydroelectric (allowing the water level to rise), and by not using natural gas fired peak load plants.

DaleSwanson said:
https://flowcharts.llnl.gov/content/energy/energy_archive/energy_flow_2009/LLNL_US_Energy_Flow_2009.png"

Electricity generation in the US for 2009:
Type Percent
Coal 47.92%
Nuclear 21.86%
NG 18.43%
Hydro 6.97%
Wind 1.83%
Bio 1.13%
Petro 1.02%
Geo 0.84%
Solar 0.03%
Total 100.00%

Interesting.. We don't rely on coal as much as people like to scare us.

What does NG stand for though?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nano-Passion said:
Interesting.. We don't rely on coal as much as people like to scare us.

What does NG stand for though?

Natural gas, I think.

1. How is energy stored in the human body?

In the human body, energy is stored in the form of chemical energy in molecules such as carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. These molecules are broken down during digestion and the energy is released to power bodily functions.

2. How is energy stored in batteries?

Batteries store energy through a chemical reaction between two electrodes, usually made of different metals, and an electrolyte solution. When the battery is connected to a circuit, the chemical energy is converted into electrical energy.

3. How is energy stored in fossil fuels?

Fossil fuels, such as coal, oil, and natural gas, store energy in the form of chemical bonds between carbon and hydrogen atoms. When these fuels are burned, the bonds are broken and the released energy is harnessed to generate electricity or power engines.

4. How is energy stored in renewable sources?

In renewable sources, energy is stored in various forms such as solar panels converting sunlight into electrical energy, wind turbines converting wind energy, and hydroelectric dams storing water in reservoirs to produce electricity on demand.

5. How is energy stored in nuclear power plants?

In nuclear power plants, energy is stored in the nucleus of atoms. During nuclear fission, the nucleus of an atom is split, releasing a large amount of energy. This energy is harnessed to heat water and produce steam, which then turns turbines to generate electricity.