Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News How is Fox News Fair and Balance? How is Fox news the only non-currupt news station?

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1

Wax

Fox News clearly picks a side when it comes to debates. How do you consider this fair and balance?

How can they claim they are they only non-corrupt network? What did Obama gave CNN? What sides of any issue has a CNN news caster picked?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Re: How is Fox News Fair and Balance? How is Fox news the only non-currupt news stat

"Fair and balanced" is an advertising slogan.

Gilette, on the other hand, really is the best a man can get and Wendy's really isn't fast food, but is good food fast! :rolleyes:
    Can you cite that claim for me please? I've never seen it.
    I'm not sure that's a complete sentence...
    For broad questions like that, the best place to start is often with the wiki on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNN_controversies

4. Sep 12, 2009 #3
    Re: How is Fox News Fair and Balance? How is Fox news the only non-currupt news stat

Glad foxnews is bringing john stossel aboard. At least they will bring in a conservative/libertarian journalist that doesn't agree with everything the republican party values. Both msnbc and Fox news are slanted; msnbc will defend the obama adminstration and fox news defended the bush adminstration.

5. Sep 12, 2009 #4

I don't pay much attention to any cable news, but I know MSNBC at least has one Republican in a prominent position on their network, Joe Scarborough.

6. Sep 12, 2009 #5

Wax

So news stations can post up lies in advertising slogans? :uhh:

7. Sep 12, 2009 #6

Ive never heard them claim another network to be corrupt. CNN doesnt seem too tilted one way or the other but lets not forget CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC, PBS, they are all decidedly tilted to the democratic side. The belief in a non-biased media, be it fox or cnn or any of the others is false, heck the belief in a non-biased opinion is faulty.
    And "fair and balanced" is just a catch phrase, kind of like a restraunt claiming their food is homemade, or a buisiness claiming the best burgers in the world. Do you really believe every slogan you hear?

8. Sep 12, 2009 #7

Fox news did have alan colmes on their network.

9. Sep 12, 2009 #8

russ_watters

Who decides that it is a lie and who makes the consequences for it? Why do you consider it more important than the other arrogant advertising slogans I listed?

10. Sep 12, 2009 #9

Wax

So you actually believe their network is completely fair and balanced with Glenn Beck and Seen Hannity? Yeah...they seem to be the most fair and balance guys I've ever seen. :rofl:

11. Sep 12, 2009 #10

russ_watters

I didn't say that and no, I don't consider Fox to be "Fair and Balanced".

Answer my questions.

[edit] I didn't answer your question directly: No, "fair and balanced" is not a lie. It is not a fact-based statement, it is a value judgement - an opinion. Just like "best" or "good" in my other two examples.

12. Sep 12, 2009 #11

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So are you suggesting Wax should be the media czar, censoring and editing every piece of information that is released to the public to ensure fairness?

Alternatively, who should fill that role?

13. Sep 12, 2009 #12

With sean hannity you might have a point, but glenn beck has called out bush the same as he has called out obama, that seems fair and balanced to me. Did you believe CNN was fair and balanced when glenn was on their network, or were they just right wing hacks because he was on their network?

14. Sep 12, 2009 #13

russ_watters

Not exactly. Bush was criticized by guys like Beck and Limbaugh for not being conservative enough.

15. Sep 12, 2009 #14

He was still criticized. I thought this post was about just following a party line, not being objective. Then again I guess I have seen a few liberal pundits claiming obama isnt liberal enough. So I guess by my reasoning I will have to remove cbs,nbc,abc,pbs,msnbc from the non-critical category. sorry from rambling, i agree with you after all. Thanks for straightening me out Russ.

16. Sep 12, 2009 #15

He hardly can be considered "liberal." Fox news promoted him to be a far lefty so conservatives actually believe Fox is balanced, when, in reality, he is just a moderate who is being over powered by Hannity.

On a side note, Fox is news is conservative, but most of the rest of the media is liberal. Not surprising since most journalists are registered Democrats.
    Also, http://www.kxmc.com/getArticle.asp?ArticleId=286090

17. Sep 12, 2009 #16

Yes, well Obama has not faced the criticism that Bush faced! Well at least they are frightened of Obama, that has got to be a good thing :rofl:

18. Sep 13, 2009 #17

drizzle

Gold Member

that made me cry laughing :rofl:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  19. Sep 13, 2009 #18

Please note that Hannity, O'Reilly, ect all have their own shows they are not actually on Fox News and nor are they reporters. They are affiliated with Fox News.

And before anyone wants to jump on me; I do not watch Fox News nor do I feel that Fox News is particularly neutral in their reporting.

20. Sep 13, 2009 #19

Are you suggesting Fox News does attempt to be fair and balanced, or suggesting there is nothing dishonest about claiming as much even not attempting to live up to the claim?
    What channel are their shows on?

21. Sep 13, 2009 #20

russ_watters

No. I said nothing of the sort. I don't have any idea what their real philosophy is, if they even have one.

Heck, maybe people are misreading the slogan! Maybe "Fair and balanced" means providing the conservative view to balance out the liberal news services for the purpose of fairness*. It doesn't really matter though: again, it is an advertising slogan. It isn't really useful to read into most advertising slogans, especially ones not making clear factual claims (drug advertisements are a clear exception).
    I don't know if they are trying to live up to it or not. Does any news company have such discussions or written policies? Do advertising people ever talk to production people? I really have no idea how the day to day operations of a news organization work.
    Fox News is on Fox News. I think they also have the news broadcasts on the Fox local afiliates.

*One of the headlines on their website right now is: "Silent on Scandal: CNN.com & MSNBC.com tried but couldn't ignore the Van Jones scandal".

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook