News How is Fox News Fair and Balance? How is Fox news the only non-currupt news station?

• Thread starter Wax
  • Start date
Re: How is Fox News Fair and Balance? How is Fox news the only non-currupt news stat

Does http://www.fox.com/" [Broken].
Fox News is a news show in the Fox Network. All of the shows I have mentioned, including Hannity O'Reilly ect, are shows on the same network. The only difference between the entertainment shows and the political commentary shows are that the political ones are 'affiliated' with Fox News.

Fox News uses the tag line "Fair and Balanced". Personally I have never seen the O'Reilly Factor before. Does this separate show use the tag line "Fair and Balanced" as well?

Is it really that hard to realize that they are separate shows? and that commentary shows discuss the news they do not report the news?

Last edited by a moderator:

russ_watters

Mentor
Re: How is Fox News Fair and Balance? How is Fox news the only non-currupt news stat

AFAIK, "Fair and Balanced" is the slogan of the network (it appears next to the name on the website). However, I don't think that should be taken to imply that everything on the network or website is pure news, as they do have a clearly labeled "opinion" section (for example) under which Glen Beck's name appears.

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

So to confirm

http://www.foxnews.com/fnctv/

These are the shows on the Fox News Channel. This is separate from basic TV's Fox television network channel which people are apparently getting confused by.

It should be noted that
1) Not everything is billed as a news show
2) The Fox News Channel is generally billed as a channel for news-oriented shows, and has only shows that focus on topics in the news, if in an opinionated way.

The Fair and Balanced slogan is trademarked by the broadcasting station Fox News Channel, not by the Fox News show

D

drankin

So to confirm

http://www.foxnews.com/fnctv/

These are the shows on the Fox News Channel. This is separate from basic TV's Fox television network channel which people are apparently getting confused by.

It should be noted that
1) Not everything is billed as a news show
2) The Fox News Channel is generally billed as a channel for news-oriented shows, and has only shows that focus on topics in the news, if in an opinionated way.

The Fair and Balanced slogan is trademarked by the broadcasting station Fox News Channel, not by the Fox News show
Fair and Balanced, towards the right.

With sean hannity you might have a point, but glenn beck has called out bush the same as he has called out obama, that seems fair and balanced to me. Did you believe CNN was fair and balanced when glenn was on their network, or were they just right wing hacks because he was on their network?
I like the blend of opinions with Juan Williams, Bob Beckel, Dennis Miller and others.

Hannity is a Reagan man through and through.

O'Reilly makes an attempt at balance - but he calls them like he see's them. He's one of the few people on TV who isn't afraid to go head to head with Barney Frank. Yes, he's tough on Obama but it's because the rest of the media has laid down and he sees an opportunity to establish himself as truly fair and above the bias. On health care, he called for Obama to explain his plan for about 3 weeks prior to "the speech". His take was that he graduated from Harvard and couldn't understand the Bill. He also wrote a very favorable piece in Parade magazine a few months ago on Obama and took significant criticism from the Right.

Glen Beck is a totally different animal. He basically started the Tea Parties and set in motion the 9-12 march on Washington last weekend. He also put the heat on Van Jones leading to his resignation and is all over Acorn and the SEIU. Likewise, he doesn't openly support any Republicans and has spoken out repeatedly about runaway spending under Bush. He is also very consistent in recommending that the Tea Parties remain independent of both parties. Beck has connected with a lot of people and BOTH parties have taken notice. His books are best sellers and his radio show a major hit. Beck is a self educated, reformed drunk, and average guy - he's achieved more than he ever hoped to and doesn't care what anyone thinks about him. That makes him very dangerous to anyone that openly challenges him. I find the whole phenom very interesting.

With a little luck, the movement Beck started might just morph into a conservative small business party representative of the currently unrepresented, lobbyist free, tax paying middle (business) class.

AFAIK, "Fair and Balanced" is the slogan of the network (it appears next to the name on the website). However, I don't think that should be taken to imply that everything on the network or website is pure news, as they do have a clearly labeled "opinion" section (for example) under which Glen Beck's name appears.
Sorry. I've been in a bad mood and my posts probably have not been very thoughtful.

I do not believe that there is any legal reason why a company motto/tag line must accurately represent all of the individual projects under its umbrella. The individual shows all have their own producers, sponsors, ect, and are responsible for themselves. If they do anything illegal on their own then it goes up the chain. Otherwise there is no down the chain legal responsibility. O'Reilly is not legally responsible for any claims made by Fox and Fox is not legally responsible for making sure that O'Reilly fits their company motto.

mheslep

Gold Member

Glen Beck is a totally different animal. He basically started the Tea Parties ...
You're mistaken. He may have publicized the 9/12 march.

mheslep

Gold Member

You're mistaken. He may have publicized the 9/12 march.
Beck started something back around April called the 9/12 Project. The date is symbolic to heightened awareness after 9/11.

I commented that "He basically started the Tea Parties ..." because he used his radio show and TV show to encourage people to form groups - not that he was a designated leader.

mheslep

Gold Member

Beck started something back around April called the 9/12 Project. The date is symbolic to heightened awareness after 9/11.

I commented that "He basically started the Tea Parties ..." because he used his radio show and TV show to encourage people to form groups - not that he was a designated leader.
Multitudes of people encourage other people to form groups. Beck did not start or even inspire the Tea Parties of this past Spring, nor was he some kind of guiding force behind them. If he cheered them, well so did thousands of others and he happened to have a microphone.

A

Al68

What sides of any issue has a CNN news caster picked?
This is just too easy. CNN continuously refers to health care "reform", and portrays the two sides as those in favor of health care "reform" and those against it.

If that bias isn't obvious, here's an analogy: Suppose that when discussing the "No Child Left Behind Act", a news station repeatedly portrayed the two sides as those in favor of "leaving children behind" and those against it.

Most would recognize the bias immediately, and that the news station was either deliberately taking sides or had an ideology that prevented them from recognizing the bias.

Any news source that depicts the current health care debate as those in favor of "reform" and those against it is obviously taking sides in the same way.

This is one example of thousands for CNN, ABC, NBC, and CBS every week for decades. I know that the bias is difficult to recognize for those it favors, but it's just as obvious to the rest of us as the hypothetical for or against "leaving children behind" would be for anyone that bias was against.

If anyone wants more examples, there is no limit. But I can't be thorough, since it would be like counting grains of sand at the beach. This is the kind of bias that has been denied for years, possibly because it just isn't as obvious to those it favors.

K

kyleb

Kyleb, you are really arguing a usless line of thought here. You don't have to argue your way into a point about Fox's bias: I agree that Fox is biased. So now what?
I'm trying to figure out how you support your claim that it is anything less than dishonest for them to claim they are "far an balanced". Would you argue a statement like "water is dry" is a not a lie but simply a "value statement" too?

D

drankin

I'm trying to figure out how you support your claim that it is anything less than dishonest for them to claim they are "far an balanced". Would you argue a statement like "water is dry" is a not a lie but simply a "value statement" too?
It's totally dishonest. And everyone knows that and like it anyway. What's your point? "Fox Network has dishonest marketing!". So friggin what. Most marketing slogans are. To take it seriously and cry fowl is laughable. It is absolutely no different than saying you have the best steaks in town. A totally subjective statement.

All news channels state what they consider facts, but the facts are simply a perception of facts from a point of view. As Al68 is saying, just because we don't like this health bill doesn't mean we are against "reform"! Most of us who do not like this bill want "reform".

It's totally dishonest. And everyone knows that and like it anyway. What's your point? "Fox Network has dishonest marketing!". So friggin what. Most marketing slogans are. To take it seriously and cry fowl is laughable. It is absolutely no different than saying you have the best steaks in town. A totally subjective statement.
Besides even this, to sue for false advertising one must be a consumer of the product who was misled by the advertising and can demonstrate and quantify damages incurred as a direct result of the false advertising.

good grief. why do you guys get so upset about Fox? it's pretty much the only right-leaning network on the air. most others lean left. MSNBC leans far left. CNN is pretty close to center. most all the political leanings of any of them comes out in editorial fashion, not straight news. and even in editorial shows where hosts lean one way or the other, they will invite commentary from representatives of opposing views.

K

kyleb

It's totally dishonest. And everyone knows that and like it anyway. What's your point?
I wasn't making a point there, I was asking a question about a point another poster made.
It is absolutely no different than saying you have the best steaks in town. A totally subjective statement.
Seems more like saying you have the best steaks in town while not making any observable effort to even serve a decent one.
Besides even this, to sue for false advertising one must be a consumer of the product who was misled by the advertising and can demonstrate and quantify damages incurred as a direct result of the false advertising.
Did anyone suggest legal action here?

Seems more like saying you have the best steaks in town while not making any observable effort to even serve a decent one.
totally subjective statement

Did anyone suggest legal action here?
What's the point of saying they are guilty of false advertising then? Just to keep hand waving?

K

kyleb

What's the point of saying they are guilty of false advertising then? Just to keep hand waving?
Who are you accusing of saying Fox is guilty of false advertising? Who is doing the hand waving here?

D

drankin

Exactly. I've been following this thread for a few days just amazed that it keeps going. To me this thread seperates the subjective minds from the objective. The naive continue to cry fowl about an obvious marketing slogan as if some sort of moral crime has just been discovered. How dare a media outlet claim to be totally objective and then be successful to boot! Obviously, it's not the SLOGAN that makes the network successful. If one is going to fault the accuracy of the news (not the commentary), at least support it with the incriminating content.

Who are you accusing of saying Fox is guilty of false advertising? Who is doing the hand waving here?
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2345473&postcount=5
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2345483&postcount=9
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2347540&postcount=19
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2348076&postcount=22

So there is no discussion in these posts regarding claims made in advertising and their accuracy? Are we reading different threads or something? Are we going to start splitting hairs now? You were only saying you thought it was dishonest, not that it was false advertising? Kind of like saying you didn't mean that MrX murdered any one only that it seemed he had dealt a lethal blow to the person with malice and intent.

K

kyleb

You were only saying you thought it was dishonest, not that it was false advertising?
Right, I see nothing honest about it, but nothing illegal either. I suppose my perspective depends on considering ethics to be the basis for law rather than the other way around.

I suppose my perspective depends on considering ethics to be the basis for law rather than the other way around.
Shouldn't you then feel that 'dishonest advertising' should be illegal?

K

kyleb

It seems you have mistaken me for an authoritarian. I don't believe anything should be illegal other than that which demonstrability infringes on the rights of others, and that is hardly the case here.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving