Fox News: Fair & Balanced? Investigating Claims of Corruption

In summary: He was still criticized. I thought this post was about just following a party line, not being critical of your own side. Is that what you're trying to say?
Physics news on Phys.org

Rick Sanchez said:
At 3:15pmET today, CNN's Rick Sanchez delivered an impassioned editorial regarding the Fox News ad we reported on earlier today that claimed ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, and CNN "missed" the story of the 9/12 protests.

Sanchez said the ad is "an offense to myself and to my colleagues who risked their lives for our viewers in Iraq and Afghanistan and around the world to break the news. They're actually telling people that we didn't cover a rally on Washington. Really?" Sanchez then showed a series of clips from CNN's 9/12 reporting. He also showed a clip of Bill O'Reilly discussing CNN's coverage of the even

foxlies11.jpg

http://thepoliticalcarnival.blogspot.com/2009/09/video-cnns-rick-sanchez-calls-fox-news.html

Summary of video:

Fox places ad in magazine that claims CNN didn't cover 9/12.
Fox uses CNN's own picture for the ad.
Rick shows a clip from O'Reilly Factor saying that CNN did cover the event.

His final words, "We did cover the event. We just didn't PROMOTE the event. That's not what real news organizations do."

Then he gave them two words, "You Lie".

WhoWee said:
Good advice for a lot of people that have nothing productive to say.

Yep, namely: Sean Hannity.

Wax said:
foxlies11.jpg

http://thepoliticalcarnival.blogspot.com/2009/09/video-cnns-rick-sanchez-calls-fox-news.html

Summary of video:

Fox places ad in magazine that claims CNN didn't cover 9/12.
Fox uses CNN's own picture for the ad.
Rick shows a clip from O'Reilly Factor saying that CNN did cover the event.

His final words, "We did cover the event. We just didn't PROMOTE the event. That's not what real news organizations do."

Then he gave them two words, "You Lie".

Just out of curiosity, was CNN's coverage "fair and balanced"?

WhoWee said:

All you do is ask questions. For once, do some research on your own. Please...

WhoWee said:

It generally is. They give both sides of an issue and have the user decide. They don't have people like Glenn Beck to promote fear and Sean Hannity who cuts off people before they can talk. That's not real news, it's propaganda. The march on Washington was started by Glenn Beck. How much more agenda driven can you get?

Wax said:
It generally is. They [CNN] give both sides of an issue and have the user decide. They don't have people like Glenn Beck to promote fear and Sean Hannity who cuts off people before they can talk. That's not real news, it's propaganda.
We Report, You Decide? Right. Sanchez and many others are way out there. His bias and like self important ilk among the media are the reason the shout meisters on Fox and talk radio exist. If CNN really just reported Fox et al would not exist.

Here's Anderson Cooper 'reporting'.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8362435811542029429&ei=Bz60StieG4SSrAKkpY2PAg&q=CNN+anderson+cooper+teabagger&hl=en

Gergen: "They have not yet come up with a compelling alternative"
Cooper: "Teabagging, they got teabagging"
Gergen: "They're searching for their voice"
Cooper: "Its hard to talk when your teabagging"

On this one "I decide" that Cooper is trying to crudely decide for everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

seycyrus said:
Alot of peopel get their views of fox from the neat little blogs they watch or the little snippets, that have been mined and put up on various websites.

The typical response = "Watch if for myself? I already KNOW what's on there..."

To which I respond with a hearty laughter.

If you are making the case that Fox News is not this way...then I shall join you! :rofl:

I have watched a lot of Fox News (although one can only take so much without destroying their TV), and it is exactly what the "neat little blogs" and the "little (mined) snippets" characterize it as being.

The BBC is one of the few news organizations that brings the news in a completely unbiased way. CNN comes next, it is not always unbiased.

Fox News? That's an oxymoron.

mheslep said:
We Report, You Decide? Right. Sanchez and many others are way out there. His bias and like self important ilk among the media are the reason the shout meisters on Fox and talk radio exist. If CNN really just reported Fox et al would not exist.

Here's Anderson Cooper 'reporting'.
http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&source=hp&q=CNN%20anderson%20cooper%20tea-bagger&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#q=CNN+anderson+cooper+teabagger&hl=en&emb=0

Gergen: "They have not yet come up with a compelling alternative"
Cooper: "Teabagging, they got teabagging"
Gergen: "They're searching for their voice"
Cooper: "Its hard to talk when your teabagging"

On this one "I decide" that Cooper is trying to crudely decide for everyone else.

How is that bias? Anderson cooper used his exact words from his website that called Obama an "Indonesian muslin turned welfare thug". Your claim that CNN is bias compared to Fox News is like day and night. Sean Hannity actually cuts people off before they can finish talking. Glenn Beck actually promoted 9/12 and fear. Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity has yet to apologize to the ACORN employee that they got fired because they failed to investigate tape 4. The list is countless...Edit: I see, you're talking about that video 3 clips down. Do you know what teabagging means? It's a joke and no bias there.

Wax said:
The march on Washington was started by Glenn Beck.
You really need to stop saying it. It is factually wrong and you know it.

russ_watters said:
You really need to stop saying it. It is factually wrong and you know it.

No, it is not wrong. There were tea parties before 9/12 but Glenn Beck is the sole person who created and promoted that exact date.

Watch the first 10 seconds of this video. Glenn Beck in his own words even said, "A while back I laid out a plan called the 9/12 project". Before he laid out this project, the tea parties were scattered and had no real theme behind the protest. Glenn Beck is the person who actually gave those people some type of meaning and an exact date to protest, 9/12. Glenn Beck is not news. He's a commentator who has an agenda who promoted the 9/12 project. Before Glenn Beck, there was no such thing as 9/12. Glenn Beck created 9/12.

Cyrus said:
All you do is ask questions. For once, do some research on your own. Please...

This is a collection of your last 3 posts in this thread.

"Yep, namely: Sean Hannity. "

"...HAAHAHah. Thanks for the laugh (Seriously). The best thing Hannity can possibly do is shut his mouth and listen."

"All you do is ask questions. For once, do some research on your own. Please..."

Do you ever make a real contribution to the discussion - or do you only criticize?
(that's a double question by the way)

Google "9/12 project" and you'll see that Glenn's name is next to almost all of the links. The date 9/12 is Glenn's project.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...l&hs=PYn&q=9/12+project&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g1g-s1g8

Edit: This is Glenn Beck's coverage of the 9/12 project. Scroll to 40 seconds and you will see that Judge Andrew Napolitano gives full credit to Glenn Beck for starting the 9/12 project. Glenn does not disagree; not one bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmdNC-E0d_A&feature=related

Edit 2: Scroll to time 3:00 in the same link and a protester thanks Glenn Beck.

Last edited:

Count Iblis said:
The BBC is one of the few news organizations that brings the news in a completely unbiased way. CNN comes next, it is not always unbiased.

Fox News? That's an oxymoron.

All British based news services have to be impatial. When they arent they get hammered by Ofcom.

I remember Murdoch saying that he wanted Sky News to be more like Fox as a counter point to BBC News 24, but couldn't becuase of the impartiality rule. Which goes to show just how balanced it is when its owner basically declares it isnt.

russ_watters said:
He seems mad. Is he getting jealous of MSNBC and wanting in?

He explained the problem - false advertising [what a shock!]. Didn't you understand?

Is MSNBC also accusing Fox of false advertising?

The only anchor I like on CNN is the Wolf Man. Sanchez is too fluffy, but he has a point on this one.

I hope CNN sues Fox.

Wax said:
Edit: I see, you're talking about that video 3 clips down.
Sorry fixed the link - direct to video now.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8362435811542029429&ei=Bz60StieG4SSrAKkpY2PAg&q=CNN+anderson+cooper+teabagger&hl=en
Do you know what teabagging means? It's a joke and no bias there.
It's a crude slur about a political movement - it's ridiculously biased for major network anchor to use it on the air.

So, how many Fox fans object to the blatently false claim in the Fox ad cited by Sanchez?

Have we had one objection from the right yet; anywhere?

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking said:
So, how many Fox fans object to the blatently false claim in the Fox ad cited by Sanchez?

I think Sanchez is going to find himself defending CNN coverage (or lack of) quite often in the future.:biggrin:

Wax said:
Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity has yet to apologize to the ACORN employee that they got fired because they failed to investigate tape 4.

Blatantly false accusation which I have already pointed out to you in the ACORN thread. Apparently you are unable to even pay attention to the news shows you do watch.

Please let us know when and if you send out an e-mail to Fox apologizing for spreading this lie, thanks.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Blatantly false accusation which I have already pointed out to you in the ACORN thread. Apparently you are unable to even pay attention to the news shows you do watch.

Please let us know when and if you send out an e-mail to Fox apologizing for spreading this lie, thanks.

Link? I haven't been back to that thread yet. Hmmm.. let me go see

Edit: Nope, you are wrong. Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck has not apologized or even mentioned a word of it. It might have been another news caster on the Fox News channel but both Hannity and Glenn Beck has not lifted a single finger after the fact.

Last edited:

Wax said:
Edit: I see, you're talking about that video 3 clips down. Do you know what teabagging means? It's a joke and no bias there.

If Hannity, Beck, or ANYONE on Fox made a joke like that - there would be pickets marching the sidewalk screaming for their scalps. Cooper should apologize to his audience (as well as mom Gloria).

Wax said:
No, it is not wrong. There were tea parties before 9/12 but Glenn Beck is the sole person who created and promoted that exact date.
Wax, you started a thread about it a week ago where I linked the organization that organized it: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=336730
Watch the first 10 seconds of this video. Glenn Beck in his own words even said, "A while back I laid out a plan called the 9/12 project".
That's nice. Nevertheless, he didn't organize the events of 9/12. I linked the organization that did.
Google "9/12 project" and you'll see that Glenn's name is next to almost all of the links. The date 9/12 is Glenn's project.
Yippeee for him, he got a name that got hits on Google. That isn't what spawned the rally, though, Wax.

Try this: link a Glenn Beck site that actually discusses and promotes the rally that happened on 9/12.

[edit] Lemme help you. On Glenn Beck's website is this link: http://912dc.org/agenda/
Note the national sponsor. Note the names of the coordinators. Hint: Glenn Beck isn't one of them.

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking said:
He explained the problem - false advertising [what a shock!]. Didn't you understand?
Sure, I understood fine. What I was discussing was why.

I linked a paper about the law when it comes to advertising a couple of pages ago. You said this is false advertising: So tell my why CNN hasn't sued Fox News over this. Why hasn't anyone sued Fox over their advertising?

I'll answer it for you: this is all just mental masturbation. People enjoy taking shots at Fox News and CNN wanted in because they saw it was working for MSNBC. Fox News popularized pointed political news from the right, MSNBC quickly followed to grab the other side, and CNN sees their ratings dropping and wants in.

Heck, that's what this thread is about, isn't it? There isn't any real point here, just a bunch of pot shots, right? Right? If you disagree, make and argue a point! I tried a couple of pages ago with Kyleb when he seemed to be implying that he might have had a point, but he declined to make/argue the point he was implying. If you have a point, go for it, Ivan!
I hope CNN sues Fox.
Me too! But they won't, you know why? Yeah, you know why...

Last edited:

:rofl:
Ivan Seeking said:

AFAIK, we don't have any Fox fans on this site. I haven't seen any, at least.

[edit] Then again, in Howard Stern's book, it said that people who hated him listened twice as long as people who liked him (at least in the beginning). Does that make them Howard Stern haters or fans? Do Howard Stern's advertisers care about the distinction? Heck, Ivan, I think you're more of a Fox News fan than I am!

Last edited:

Wax said:
Edit: Nope, you are wrong. Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck has not apologized or even mentioned a word of it. It might have been another news caster on the Fox News channel but both Hannity and Glenn Beck has not lifted a single finger after the fact.

SHE WAS NOT FIRED!

You have some seriously selective perception.

Edit: Besides, Hannity and Beck did not make the videos. Someone else made them and hosted them and they just discussed them on their programs. Anything that happened to the people caught in the videos is their own fault for not acting professionally. The woman you have claimed was fired is on suspension with pay while she undergoes retraining due to her lack of professionalism. Had she acted appropriately she likely never would have even wound up on TV.

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking said:
The only anchor I like on CNN is the Wolf Man. Sanchez is too fluffy, but he has a point on this one.

I hope CNN sues Fox.

blitzer's alright. kind of an alex trebek type.

sanchez is worse than fluffy. my deep hatred for the man began when i saw him interviewing victims who had lost their homes in a big fire (think it was cali) and was trying to manipulate them into having an emotional outburst in front of the camera.

and so now Sanchez is doing what? the rivalry with people bigger than you are to try and boost your own ratings by riding their coattails? Keith Olbermann likes to do that with Bill O'Reilley. still, either no one knows, or cares, who Olbermann is. he'll never be a Maddow.

You have to watch Beck to understand him.
http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/30208/
Read the entire interview and notice how he mixes in ELF. He has a unique style that works for him. He talks to the audience as though he's sitting at the kitchen table and makes the political issues relevant to the average person.

By comparison, Rick Sanchez often sounds - well (how about) "pissy"?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/06/rick-sanchez-grills-rick_n_253389.html

I'll use a marketing analysis. Sanchez does a hard sell - a one call close. Beck has a SPIN selling technique - he probes and monitors the pulse of his audience. He explains his topics in great detail (even uses a chalk board and other graphics) and builds relationships. Beck has a consistent product and provides support after the sale.

Customers are more likely to stay loyal to Beck and only buy from Sanchez when he has a special offer.

I personally keep a news channel on at all times in my office.

For years it was tuned into CNN. As their programming changed, and instead of reporting I started to hear (very Liberal) opinion based reports from Carol Costello and Soledad O'Brien, I switched to Headline News.

I enjoyed Robin in the morning and found their weather reports adequate while traveling. But, other than a Glenn Beck show predicting economic troubles ahead (he called it on his Headline News show), last August/September Headline News economic and election coverage was pathetic. Until then, I wouldn't even turn Fox on - partly because I didn't want to see Geraldo and mostly because I had always heard they were biased and slanted pro-Bush. I have never been a Bush supporter.

I was surprised to find that Fox was reporting stories that I couldn't find elsewhere. Cavuto understands the financial markets and interviews a diverse group of guests. While I had viewed it once or twice before, Hannity and Colmes proved itself to be one of the best shows on TV leading up to the election.

I also started watching Bill O'Reilly and was surprised to find, while definitely conservative, he does maintain a balanced forum. I was also glad to see Dennis Miller and counter-arguments by Juan Williams, Bob Beckel, Lanny Davis, Marc Lamont Hill and others.

By comparison, the Wolf B. and Anderson C. CNN political panels appeared so biased during the election they made my teeth hurt. At this point, I think John Stewart (Comedy) is more fair and balanced than CNN, MSNBC, and NBC.

At the risk of wrecking a perfectly good political discussion with the injection of facts, I would suggest that anyone who is interested in media bias read the http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/polisci/faculty/groseclose/Media.Bias.8.htm" .

The introduction is a hoot:

Survey research has shown that an almost overwhelming fraction of journalists are liberal. For instance, Elaine Povich (1996) reports that only seven percent of all Washington correspondents voted for George H.W. Bush in 1992, compared to 37 percent of the American public. Lichter, Rothman and Lichter, (1986) and Weaver and Wilhoit (1996) report similar findings for earlier elections. More recently, the New York Times reported that only eight percent of Washington correspondents thought George W. Bush would be a better president than John Kerry. This compares to 51% of all American voters. David Brooks notes that for every journalist who contributed to George W. Bush’s campaign, 93 contributed to Kerry’s.

These statistics suggest that journalists, as a group, are more liberal than almost any congressional district in the country. For instance, in the Ninth California district, which includes Berkeley, twelve percent voted for Bush in 1992, nearly double the rate of journalists.

What they determined is, not surprisingly, that different media outlets had different political slants. What was surprising was that the degree of these slants was not terribly large. Two of the most left-leaning outlets were, again, not surprisingly, the New York Times and CBS Evening News. These were significantly more conservative than the average Democrat in the Senate: about at the same place in the political spectrum as Joe Lieberman. Two of the most right leaning were, again not surprisingly, the Washington Times and Fox News. These were significantly more liberal than the average Republican in the Senate: about at the same place in the political spectrum as Susan Collins. The average outlet they studied ended up at about the same place on the political spectrum as John Breaux.

So, how many so-called liberal news agencies have intentionally started a political movement like Beck's 12 nonsense? That isn't even news. It is political activism. It is downright terrifying that so many people here can't tell the difference. He is not an anchor. He is an activist. It isn't news. It is propoganda [with tears included].

Russ, this business happened yesterday. It is ridiculous to ask why no law suits have been filed yet.

I have often revealed my preferred news sources. I don't recall you ever revealing your sources, Russ. It is pretty easy to guess given your position on issues, but why don't you fess up.

Also, do you listen to Rush Limbaugh or any right-wing radio?

Also, do you condemn Fox news for their false claim or not? Cut the hyperbole and answer a direct question for a change; yes or no?

To say that people watching Beck aren't Fox fans is absurd. Clearly we have Beck fans, for starters.

Last edited:

Who here watches the PBS News Hour; Washington Week; Meet the Press; This week with Stephanopolis? Those are quality news programs.

Note also that PBS anchors are the preferred option for Presidential debate moderators. Gee, I wonder why.

Proton Soup said:
blitzer's alright. kind of an alex trebek type.

sanchez is worse than fluffy. my deep hatred for the man began when i saw him interviewing victims who had lost their homes in a big fire (think it was cali) and was trying to manipulate them into having an emotional outburst in front of the camera.

and so now Sanchez is doing what? the rivalry with people bigger than you are to try and boost your own ratings by riding their coattails? Keith Olbermann likes to do that with Bill O'Reilley. still, either no one knows, or cares, who Olbermann is. he'll never be a Maddow.

I have never seen anything quite that bad, but I agree that he [Sanchez] is a sensationalist. By no means do I consider him to be a quality news anchor. I only keep CNN on for the headline news, less Blitzer. I do like Wolf Blitzer. You say Alex Trebek, I say fair and balanced and not sensational. He is a true professional and he never cries for the camera. He never yells at the camera. And he never injects personal opinions about partisan subjects.

You really can't compare Fox to CNN. You have to compare the anchors. It is possible that Fox has some good anchors, but in my many attempts to give Fox a chance I was always disappointed. It is a propoganda channel. The proof is that they have people like Beck. Here is a key test: Even Beck calls himself an entertainer.

Most anchors on CNN are benign and simply report the news. As for Anderson Cooper, imo he is mostly a human interest fluff reporter. He has done good stuff, but he is almost always going for the emotional content. I stopped watching AC360 long ago because of the fluff.

However, to take shots at Sanchez for reporting the Fox advertising lie is absurd. Of course he was mad. Fox lied about CNN's reporting. Why would you defend that? They should be sued and I hope CNN sues them.

When Dan Rather was tricked into making a false claim, it cost him a 40 year career. So much for the liberal media.

Last edited: