Why Does the Cross Product of î and ĵ Equal k̂?

• Thread starter AakashPandita
  • Start date
In summary, the cross product, denoted as a x b or a x b, is a binary operation that takes in two vectors and outputs a third vector that is perpendicular to both input vectors. There are multiple equivalent ways to define the cross product, including using the magnitude and angle between the vectors, or using the unit vectors i, j, and k. It is also defined by its properties of anti-commutativity and linearity.
AakashPandita
how is î x jcap = kcap? Please help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you know the definition of the cross product?

yes. a x b = absinθ

AakashPandita said:
yes. a x b = absinθ

Do you realize that the RHS of what you wrote is a scalar?

Likes 1 person
AakashPandita said:
yes. a x b = absinθ
That's not the definition, and that equality isn't correct. You may be thinking of the result ##\left|\mathbf a\times\mathbf b\right|=|\mathbf a||\mathbf b|\sin\theta##, where ##\theta## is the angle between the two vectors.

There are many equivalent ways to define the cross product. One of them is
$$(a_1,a_2,a_3)\times(b_1,b_2,b_3)=(a_2b_3-a_3b_2,a_3b_1-a_1b_3,a_1b_2-a_2b_1).$$ You should check what definition your book uses, and then try to use it to prove that it implies that
$$\mathbf i\times\mathbf j=\mathbf k.$$

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Fredrik said:
That's not the definition, and that equality isn't correct. You may be thinking of the result ##\mathbf a\times\mathbf b=|\mathbf a||\mathbf b|\sin\theta##, where ##\theta## is the angle between the two vectors.

Again LHS is a vector, RHS is a scalar. :wink:

pwsnafu said:
Again LHS is a vector, RHS is a scalar. :wink:
LOL, yes I know. That's why I started typing that. Somehow I forgot to type the absolute value symbols on the left. I will edit my post.

Oh I understood. (ab sin theta) was only the magnitude.

Thank you very very much!

One good way of defining the cross product is to start with
1)[itex]\vec{i}\times\vec{j}= \vec{k}[/itex]
2)[itex]\vec{j}\times\vec{k}=\vec{i}[/itex]
3)[itex]\vec{k}\times\vec{i}= \vec{j}[/itex]
Then extend it to all other vectors by "linearity" in the first component:
[itex](\vec{u}+ \vec{v})\times \vec{w}= \vec{u}\times \vec{w}+ \vec{v}\times \vec{w}[/itex]
and by "anti- commutativity":
[itex]\vec{u}\times\vec{v}= -\vec{v}\times\vec{u}[/itex]

What you are asking about is (1) above.

Another, equivalent but less "sophisticated", way to define the cross product is to simply say that
[itex](A\vec{i}+ B\vec{j}+ C\vec{k})\times(P\vec{i}+ Q\vec{j}+ R\vec{k})= (BR- CQ)\vec{i}- (AR- CP)\vec{j}+ (AQ- BP)\vec{k}[/itex]

and then, [itex]\vec{i}\times\vec{j}[/itex] has A=1, B= 0, C= 0, P= 0, Q= 1, R= 0
so the product is [itex](0(0)- 0(1))\vec{i}- (1(0)- 0(0))\vec{j}+ (1(1)- 0(0))\vec{k}= \vec{k}[/itex]

1. What is the meaning of "î x jcap = kcap"?

The symbol "î x jcap = kcap" represents the cross product of the unit vector î and the unit vector jcap, which results in the unit vector kcap. This is a mathematical operation that is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the direction of a vector that is perpendicular to two given vectors.

2. How do you calculate the cross product of two vectors?

To calculate the cross product of two vectors, you first need to determine the components of the two vectors in the x, y, and z directions. Then, using the following formula, you can find the components of the resulting vector:
A x B = (AyBz - AzBy) î + (AzBx - AxBz) jcap + (AxBy - AyBx) kcap.

3. Why is the cross product of two unit vectors always a unit vector?

The cross product of two unit vectors always results in a vector with a magnitude of 1, or a unit vector. This is because the cross product is calculated by finding the perpendicular vector to the two given vectors, and since unit vectors represent direction only, the resulting vector will also only have a direction and no magnitude.

4. What is the significance of the unit vector kcap in the cross product?

The unit vector kcap represents the direction of the resulting vector in the z direction. This is because the cross product of two vectors will always result in a vector that is perpendicular to both of the given vectors, and since the unit vector kcap points in the positive z direction, it shows the direction of the resulting vector in relation to the two given vectors.

5. How is the cross product used in real-world applications?

The cross product is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the direction of forces, torque, and magnetic fields. It is also used in 3D graphics and computer programming to determine the orientation of objects in 3D space. Additionally, it has applications in calculating the area of a parallelogram or triangle formed by two given vectors.