Welding Machine Increases Power: Physically Impossible?

In summary: W nominal @ 28VDC and 4,061W continuous.In summary, the welding machine can output more power than it started with, but this is done through the use of a rectifier and a capacitor.
cmb said:
maybe you will have discovered a solution to all our energy needs?
The spec, taken at face value, is nonsense but we have generations of users who understand the implications, to the user, of the figures and who don't need to consider the niceties of proper Science.

There is a very long list of equivalent nonsenses in the way appliances are marketed. There's no point in losing sleep or getting cross about it.

I remember taking a vernier calliper into a car spares shop when I was after a 'replacement' item. They asked me about my fancy adjustable spanner - and 'larfed' menacingly amongst themselves. It's another world out there.

Likes Janosh89
Engineering news on Phys.org
sophiecentaur said:
I remember taking a vernier calliper into a car spares shop when I was after a 'replacement' item. They asked me about my fancy adjustable spanner - and 'larfed' menacingly amongst themselves. It's another world out there.

Thats when you smile awkwardly and slowly back out of the store to go somewhere where people understand things.

Maybe they laughed at you because you really needed a micrometer to tell what ever you were measuring... lol

sophiecentaur said:
I paid a lot less than that for mine (second hand) and the only weak link in the chain is ME. Working on the principle that the best results may possibly be limited by the equipment and the rest are operator error, it's really not bad.

Beware of enthusiasts and experts when taking advice about what to buy. I also fall into that category for some things but I often question whether the money I have spent on posh gear was really worth it. But, otoh, owning and using something nice is very pleasant.
I went over the top for several purchases but that cheap welder and the other few machine tools I have, have been really worth their salt.
"Buy cheap, buy twice" is a good motto but sometimes buying three things is better than ending up with just one.

$250 was a good price for my machine here based on local resale, what did you buy for less? Stick welder or wire feeder?

I wouldn't call mine a "cheap" welder, but a "small" welder, it is limited in output current, but well made. You can still get "cheap" small welders and they are junk.

My problem is that the machine I'd like to buy now that I know more is about an order of magnitude more expensive :frown:

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-ca/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K4195-2(LincolnElectric)

If this were politics, we would call it the “argument of a false premise” and it is done all of the time to advance a position. E.g., “Since America Has the best education system in the world.” When in fact, we rate at #126 for Literacy with only 86% - there are 26 countries with a 100% rate and another 54 at 98-99%. We only spend more than any other country to educate our children. Maybe why the signs on our welders are incorrect?

Nameplates of most of welder brands are correct. Another thing is many people don't know to read them correctly. It is true however that sellers and manufacturers advertise some products with figures ridiculously blown out of proportions.

[Moderator: some comments removed.]

Last edited by a moderator:
You all realize that there are many examples of electrical devices that output more power than is input.
Just take a reachable battery for example, may take 10 hr to charge & 10 minutes to drain, but in that 10 minutes the power can be an order of magnitude greater than the input power. There is a difference between the definition of power and the definition of energy.

Another example would be an audio amplifier's peak power which comes from the energy stored in it's power caps...