Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is LaTeX implemented on this site?

1. Jan 8, 2005 #1
    I'm designing my website, where I plan to put up notes of whatever I'm studying. Since it would be really nice to place ideas as I do here at physicsforums.com, my question is: how do I implement LaTeX in my site?

I've read about latex2html, but it is not really the approach I intend to follow. Hopefully, there are other ways. I'm working on a flash website.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
    :smile:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2005 #2
    [itex]\pi[/itex]
    Look at the source for this post

It's probably just a script that's called from the post-parser that runs the latex "code" and saves it as a png file.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  4. Jan 14, 2005 #3
    Thanks for your input. Well, it sounds like I gotta learn PHP to do all of this... right?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  5. Jan 14, 2005 #4
    An alternative to using server-side scripting is using a desktop math typesetting program like MathType to create images. I believe you have to register that particular program after 30 days, but I am sure there are other programs out there that are free. :smile:

6. Jan 14, 2005 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You ought to just write your notes in TeX and put pdfs on your site. That'd be the easiest route.

Yes, this site uses custom-written server-side PHP to pass stuff inside [ tex ] tags to latex, then to dvi2ps, then to a modified pstoimg. It spits out a png file, which is then dropped into a folder for storage.

- Warren

7. Jan 14, 2005 #6
    Yes, I agree with you that it's just easier to put up pdf's; that's what I'm gonna do for the time being. Anyhow, I'll try to learn more about PHP server-side scripting. Thank you guys for your advice. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?