How Does Burning Fuel Produce Light?

In summary, the process of burning fuel produces light because the intense heat causes electrons to move to higher energy states, emitting photons as they return to lower energy states. This light is similar to black-body radiation from a very hot object, but in the case of candles, soot particles also contribute to the light emission."
pankaj66866
I am not quiet sure where should i post this question, so forgive me if i asked this question at the wrong place. Now my Question is that how can an intensely thermochemical process like burning of a fuel produce, something like light which is a electromagnetic wave ?

Science news on Phys.org
The energy is absorbed by the constituents of the gas around the fire. This energy leads to electrons going into higher energy states. The electrons then drop back into lower energy states emitting photons. These photons are the em waves.

Candle and light bulb are different. Light bulb is essentially black body. On the other hand candle light contains discrete lines as a a result of the process described above.

There may be a little of that, but the light from a candle is mostly just hot soot particles which give off blackbody radiation. That is why fires that give good light leave soot (candles) and fires which burn clean don't produce much light (alcohol).

1. How does burning fuel produce light?

Burning fuel produces light through a process called combustion. When fuel is burned, it reacts with oxygen in the air to release energy in the form of heat and light. This is because the chemical bonds in the fuel molecules are broken, and new molecules are formed, releasing energy in the process.

2. What is the fuel used to produce light?

The fuel used to produce light can vary, but commonly used fuels include natural gas, kerosene, propane, and gasoline. These fuels are all made up of hydrocarbons, which are compounds made up of hydrogen and carbon atoms.

3. How does the color of the light produced by burning fuel depend on the type of fuel used?

The color of the light produced by burning fuel is determined by the chemical composition of the fuel. For example, a pure hydrocarbon fuel, such as methane, produces a blue flame, while a fuel with impurities, like wood, produces a yellow flame. The color of the flame is also affected by the temperature of the flame and the amount of oxygen present during combustion.

4. Can burning fuel produce different types of light?

Yes, burning fuel can produce different types of light depending on the conditions of the combustion. For example, if the fuel is burned in a limited supply of oxygen, it can produce a smoky, orange flame. Burning fuel can also produce infrared light, which is not visible to the human eye but can be detected by special equipment.

5. Does the amount of fuel burned affect the amount of light produced?

Yes, the amount of fuel burned does affect the amount of light produced. The more fuel that is burned, the more energy is released, and the brighter the light will be. However, if there is an excess of fuel compared to the available oxygen, the flame may become dimmer and produce soot instead of light.