Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How is LIGO doing?

1. May 29, 2018 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Since it's detection of GW150914, How many BH BH mergers has it detected and how many BH NS mergers has it detected, Is it living up to the potential detection's that are predicted?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2018 #2
    Quoting myself from an earlier discussion. A-LIGO is still down for upgrades for the O3 run scheduled in the autumn.

4. May 29, 2018 #3
  5. May 29, 2018 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I really like the attached graphic, which shows the LIGO/VIRGO detected events and how the BH/NS masses compare to objects detected by other means.

4-ligoandvirgo.jpg

6. May 30, 2018 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the horizontal axis in that graph? Time?

7. May 30, 2018 #6

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I'm not really sure, but I don't think the horizontal axis means anything. The objects are just spread out to differentiate them. The arrows indicate the mergers.

8. May 31, 2018 #7
    Interestingly, the 7 July 2017 news release from LIGO (https://www.ligo.org/news.php) references eight candidate detections, although it's not clear whether that number includes the four detections (or five, if you count the not-sufficiently-statistically-significant event LVT151012) which had already been made public at that time. Since then, only two further detections have been made public. It would be nice to know if there are candidates still being worked on, or if they didn't pan out.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted