How is Michio Kaku regarded in the Physics world?

In summary: But I'm not an expert, so I can't really say. In summary, Michio Kaku is a brilliant physicist who has spoken about neuroscience on a mainstream radio program. He is not a "pretend physicist" and does not rely on soundbites to communicate scientific concepts to the public.
Note:
I've never said that Kaku isn't a brilliant physicist.
That doesn't mean he can't be a vain, conceited blatherboy as well.
In particular when he talks about other things than his professional expertise, as if he has something particularly noteworthy to say about that. Examples of that have been given earlier in this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
Admitted. I Jumped the Gun, during the interview I did not hear him say the word "field". So I do apologize for accusing him of taking credit for String Theory. However the reference to him being a vain conceited Blatherboy was in regards to his general hand waving circus act that he calls science. It had nothing to do with him taking credit for String Theory. The fact that he didn't take credit for String Theory doesn't change the fact that he spends most of his time on the air talking about science fiction rather then science.

montadhar said:
You jumped the gun. If you really misheard him then you didn't even bother to re-watch the video, and even if you did, you didn't try to see if there is a misunderstanding from your part.
Put yourself in his shoes, would you have liked people to call you a "vain, conceited blatherboy" for something you didn't even say ?

To be more specific, he said that the equation in SFT that combines both is his equation (whatever that meant), not all of SFT. I don't know much about SFT, and I would like someone who knows about it to correct me. But even if that is wrong, compared to your "he takes credit for string theory" you jumped the gun again.

You are quibbling over one mis-statement. Kaku IS a blatherboy, of the worst sort, and if you don't realize that then you have either not watched much of him at all on the pop-sci and sci-fic shows or you don't understand much of physics.

arildno said:
Note:
I've never said that Kaku isn't a brilliant physicist.
That doesn't mean he can't be a vain, conceited blatherboy as well.
In particular when he talks about other things than his professional expertise, as if he has something particularly noteworthy to say about that. Examples of that have been given earlier in this thread.
I am aware of the examples, and I agree with you in that regard.
But I was talking specifically about the mention of the video, you didn't bother verifying it as well, it would be great if you could at least admit that.

DHF said:
Admitted. I Jumped the Gun, during the interview I did not hear him say the word "field". So I do apologize for accusing him of taking credit for String Theory. However the reference to him being a vain conceited Blatherboy was in regards to his general hand waving circus act that he calls science. It had nothing to do with him taking credit for String Theory. The fact that he didn't take credit for String Theory doesn't change the fact that he spends most of his time on the air talking about science fiction rather then science.
Good :biggrin: Please try to make a habit of verifying claims about others in the future

phinds said:
You are quibbling over one mis-statement. Kaku IS a blatherboy, of the worst sort, and if you don't realize that then you have either not watched much of him at all on the pop-sci and sci-fic shows or you don't understand much of physics.
You are quibbling over something that is not even a mis-statement, but something that you misheard.
Same reply as arildno.

To be nitpicky, what I ACTUALLY said was:
"Consistent with his personality as a vain, conceited blatherboy, though... "
which does not declare that this particular video seance as such WAS an example of that blathering (I didn't bother to see it), but that it wouldn't surprise me if it was (i.e, it would have been consistent with his well-established media goblin persona)

phinds said:

You have to calm down. He's a person too. In the end he's the one who's winning, not you, so stop trying so hard because it's just sad. I know montadhar personally and he knows his physics very well-your attitude is extremely annoying. What makes you think you "understand much of physics"?

WannabeNewton said:
You have to calm down. He's a person too. In the end he's the one who's winning, not you, so stop trying so hard because it's just sad. I know montadhar personally and he knows his physics very well-your attitude is extremely annoying. What makes you think you "understand much of physics"?

Actually, I DON'T know all that much physics and Kaku does. My point, however, is that you wouldn't know that by listening to him blather on the pop sci shows, where he grossly misrepresents science and I'd expect that to be clear to anyone who knows a bit of physics and has seen him perform.

WannabeNewton said:
You have to calm down.

You're right. Kaku and his ilk seriously annoy me and I tend to get too vehement in talking about them.

Stop it! Stop it! Can't you see this [STRIKE]barnyard noise guessing game[/STRIKE] Michio Kaku is tearing us apart?

Tobias Funke said:
Stop it! Stop it! Can't you see this [STRIKE]barnyard noise guessing game[/STRIKE] Michio Kaku is tearing us apart?
Beware of the dark force.
768498764397864376439+michu+kiku.gif

Greg Bernhardt said:
It is bold and he should have added "helped" but still I take it as if he were saying "I worked on it". Interviews are tough because you can't edit what you say after the fact. We'd all say poorly worded things.

Same comment in a completely different interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKocErBI2n8#t=3335

I don't really like the fact that based on where you studied, or how many papers you have published, you can reach a position where nobody is allowed to criticize you or whether what you are doing is right or wrong.
Obviously for a layman watching Kaku can be destructive, and so what he does is wrong... now if we consider that he is a smart person, he does that conciously and that makes him a terrible persona. At least the rest of crackpots going around the internet are people who obviously don't realize what they are doing or saying...

Michio who?!

Just so you know, this thread is from 2014.

Zz.

ChrisVer said:
I don't really like the fact that based on where you studied, or how many papers you have published, you can reach a position where nobody is allowed to criticize you or whether what you are doing is right or wrong.
Hm ... we criticize him here all the time :smile:

Obviously for a layman watching Kaku can be destructive, and so what he does is wrong... now if we consider that he is a smart person, he does that conciously and that makes him a terrible persona. At least the rest of crackpots going around the internet are people who obviously don't realize what they are doing or saying...
Well, I think he justifies his actions to himself by saying that he is popularizing science for the masses.

Then he laughs all the way to the bank.

I got interested in quantum computation, so I spent a few hours learning about it. Then I gave a Kaku video a try. He knew less than I did! It was all wrong. What gall that guy has got, doing zero study before spreading his horse manure. He does look nice, though.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Necropost, closed.