How is PF important to you?

• Thread starter micromass
  • Start date
We have quite a close and tight community here. And we do not really realize it, but for some people this forum is an important piece of their life. Other people just use this forum to get help in school or with other aspects of life.

How about you? How important is PF for you? Why? What do you get out of this?

Likes DavideGenoa and lisab

Answers and Replies

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I know some members well, some I've met in person. Some I know through PMs and emails and chats. Some I interact with only in threads.

That's what it's like living in a village. PF is my "village".

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
It gives me an excuse to stay engaged with math after selling my soul to become a software engineer. Also, it's a good place to check my thinking during my (very) occasional attempts to learn some physics. The quality of content is pretty high because a lot of the BS gets moderated away. The main competition would probably be stackexchange, which, to put it as neutrally as I can, gives a substantially different user experience that I don't much care for. Anyway, all the cool cats like micromass are here. :tongue:

Likes DavideGenoa
Lisa!
Gold Member
I use it to practice English and get to know more about people around the world! I used to spend more time here when I was younger.

wukunlin
Gold Member
It's one of those places where I can find relatively honest opinions

adjacent
Gold Member
I come here to learn physics and maths(In fact I have learned many things from here) and help others.

I love to stay at PF because it somehow shaped my way of thinking.

Likes DavideGenoa
I feel like I get a lot more help than I contribute, and post a lot more to silly threads in the General forum than anything substantive.

But I love that no one seems to mind.

Even if I'm not talking math or physics (the latter of which I'm not even engaged in) I know that people here are like-minded.

-Dave K

Likes DavideGenoa
Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
On an importance scale of 1-10, I rate it as orange-ish.

I can't always be surrounded by people with similar interests as me in real life. PF allows me to enter the atmosphere anyway.

Likes DavideGenoa
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've gotten a lot out of PF and it's very important to me. The main thing that I've gotten from PF is that it has taught me to be more critical in my thinking - something like the old woodworker's adage of measure twice, cut once. PF has taught me to think twice, post once. :tongue:

Likes DavideGenoa
reenmachine
Gold Member
Very important.It's like a social club.I have met great people here.

WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
Very important.It's like a social club.I have met great people here.
Lol.

collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Are you implying that there is some sort of life outside PF?

Likes DavideGenoa
Being a student who is active in class and challenges my teachers, PF has provided a source of knowledge that results in answers beyond that of a single person. I find that this forum has more in depth discussions and ultimately leads to heightened though and learning. I also enjoy the paths that different views and opinions lead you down, makes for a fun journey!

Likes DavideGenoa
Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Are you implying that there is some sort of life outside PF?
That depends on your definition of "life".

Likes DavideGenoa
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
I love that it separates the wheat from the chaff. I watch a lot of pop-sci TV shows and read pop-sci books because I'm simple-minded and so are they ... BUT ... they are SO unreliable that I started getting answers here. The graphics and videos are better there but the facts are better here (except sometimes the ones I propound) :smile:

It's a great community for me, particularly because I live in a small town and have no local friends interested in science.

Likes DavideGenoa
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
.......- something like the old woodworker's adage of measure twice, cut once. PF has taught me to think twice, post once. :tongue:

Haha yes, often the time I have written something and almost hit the "submit reply"
and sometimes have even hit the button. Only to think better of it and delete my response/intended response :smile:

I really enjoy the family here. It has done wonders to this ol' lad's learning. My physics classroom times were a LONG time ago and much has been forgotten due to it not being used every day.

Thanks everyone :smile:

Dave

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It has done wonders to this ol' lad's learning.
Physics Forums should offer some sort of advanced degree. :approve:

gfd43tg
Gold Member
I've been using it on and off since 2008 to help with my high school physics all the way to now I will soon be graduating with a chemical engineering degree.

It's so funny looking back at old posts to see how ignorant I was when I was younger. I can only image a few years from now laughing at how ignorant I am at the time of this post.

Last edited:
I've been using it on and off since 2008 to help with my high school physics all the way to now I will soon be graduating with a chemical engineering degree.
Congrats! Now head into the chem forum :D

WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
I know you love my love. :!!)
I do indeed.

In all honesty I wouldn't have even gotten interested in physics if it wasn't for this forum and I certainly wouldn't have gotten far in physics if I hadn't met micromass, PeterDonis, and the likes. I started using PF dedicatedly during my senior year of high school. Before that I was 100% set on doing computer science at MIT or Carnegie Mellon :smile:

Likes DavideGenoa
What do you get out of this?
Procrastinating Familiarly.