Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is PF important to you?

1. Jul 20, 2014 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

We have quite a close and tight community here. And we do not really realize it, but for some people this forum is an important piece of their life. Other people just use this forum to get help in school or with other aspects of life.

How about you? How important is PF for you? Why? What do you get out of this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2014 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know some members well, some I've met in person. Some I know through PMs and emails and chats. Some I interact with only in threads.

That's what it's like living in a village. PF is my "village".

4. Jul 20, 2014 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It gives me an excuse to stay engaged with math after selling my soul to become a software engineer. Also, it's a good place to check my thinking during my (very) occasional attempts to learn some physics. The quality of content is pretty high because a lot of the BS gets moderated away. The main competition would probably be stackexchange, which, to put it as neutrally as I can, gives a substantially different user experience that I don't much care for. Anyway, all the cool cats like micromass are here. :tongue:

5. Jul 20, 2014 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Jul 21, 2014 #5

Lisa!

Gold Member

I use it to practice English and get to know more about people around the world! I used to spend more time here when I was younger.

7. Jul 21, 2014 #6

wukunlin

Gold Member

It's one of those places where I can find relatively honest opinions

8. Jul 21, 2014 #7

adjacent

Gold Member

I come here to learn physics and maths(In fact I have learned many things from here) and help others.

I love to stay at PF because it somehow shaped my way of thinking.

9. Jul 21, 2014 #8
    I feel like I get a lot more help than I contribute, and post a lot more to silly threads in the General forum than anything substantive.

But I love that no one seems to mind.

Even if I'm not talking math or physics (the latter of which I'm not even engaged in) I know that people here are like-minded.

-Dave K

10. Jul 22, 2014 #9

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

On an importance scale of 1-10, I rate it as orange-ish.

11. Jul 22, 2014 #10
    I can't always be surrounded by people with similar interests as me in real life. PF allows me to enter the atmosphere anyway.

12. Jul 22, 2014 #11

Borg

Gold Member

I've gotten a lot out of PF and it's very important to me. The main thing that I've gotten from PF is that it has taught me to be more critical in my thinking - something like the old woodworker's adage of measure twice, cut once. PF has taught me to think twice, post once. :tongue:

13. Jul 22, 2014 #12

reenmachine

Gold Member

Very important.It's like a social club.I have met great people here.

14. Jul 22, 2014 #13

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Lol.

15. Jul 22, 2014 #14

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you implying that there is some sort of life outside PF?

16. Jul 22, 2014 #15
    Being a student who is active in class and challenges my teachers, PF has provided a source of knowledge that results in answers beyond that of a single person. I find that this forum has more in depth discussions and ultimately leads to heightened though and learning. I also enjoy the paths that different views and opinions lead you down, makes for a fun journey!

17. Jul 22, 2014 #16

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

That depends on your definition of "life".

18. Jul 22, 2014 #17

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I love that it separates the wheat from the chaff. I watch a lot of pop-sci TV shows and read pop-sci books because I'm simple-minded and so are they ... BUT ... they are SO unreliable that I started getting answers here. The graphics and videos are better there but the facts are better here (except sometimes the ones I propound) :smile:

It's a great community for me, particularly because I live in a small town and have no local friends interested in science.

19. Jul 22, 2014 #18

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haha yes, often the time I have written something and almost hit the "submit reply"
    and sometimes have even hit the button. Only to think better of it and delete my response/intended response :smile:

I really enjoy the family here. It has done wonders to this ol' lad's learning. My physics classroom times were a LONG time ago and much has been forgotten due to it not being used every day.

Thanks everyone :smile:

Dave

20. Jul 22, 2014 #19

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Physics Forums should offer some sort of advanced degree. :approve:

21. Jul 22, 2014 #20
    Physics Forums Academy! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook