How is source-drain voltage defined?

• Thread starter mzh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary: N channel in a proper circuit:red lead on Drainblack lead on Sourcemeter will show VDS positive;and for a P channel in a proper circuit, VDS negative.Can anyone help me for preparing mcq of electronics??In summary, conventionally, V_{SD} is the voltage of point S with reference to point D.
mzh
Dear Physics Forum users
Is it true that conventionally, [itex]V_{SD}[/itex] is defined as the difference in potential between the drain and the source. Meaning, [itex]V_{SD} = V_S - V_D[/itex] with the voltage on the source as the reference.
As an example: if [itex]V_{SD}[/itex] is given as -5V (note minus), then this means the drain is at a potential of 5 Volts lower than the source. Right?

Thanks for hints.

Engineering news on Phys.org
mzh said:
Is it true that conventionally, [itex]V_{SD}[/itex] is defined as the difference in potential between the drain and the source. Meaning, [itex]V_{SD} = V_S - V_D[/itex] with the voltage on the source as the reference.
To adhere to engineering conventions, VSD is the voltage of point S with reference to point D,
i.e., VSD ≡ VS - VD
As an example: if [itex]V_{SD}[/itex] is given as -5V (note minus), then this means the drain is at a potential of 5 Volts lower than the source. Right?
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3331/nooo1.gif

The difference [itex]V_{SD} = V_S - V_D[/itex] reveals how many volts S is above D. Suppose S was at 6v and D was at 2v, VS - VD = +4, and you can see that's the voltage at S with reference to D.
Thanks for hints.
Thanks for asking. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
The difference [itex]V_{SD} = V_S - V_D[/itex] reveals how many volts S is above D. Suppose S was at 6v and D was at 2v, VS - VD = +4, and you can see that's the voltage at S with reference to D.

Hi Oxy
Thanks for your outline. But please explain to me, why my statement is different from yours:

me: "If V_SD is given as -5V (note minus), then this means the drain is at a potential of 5 Volts lower than the source"
you: "V_SD=V_S − V_D reveals how many volts S is above D."

I mean, it's the same to ask how many meters Paris is above sea level or how many meters below Paris is the sea level. No?

mzh said:
me: "If V_SD is given as -5V (note minus), then this means the drain is at a potential of 5 Volts lower than the source"
you: "V_SD=V_S − V_D reveals how many volts S is above D."
I think you might be confusing yourself with multiple negatives here.

If VSD is -5v, then S is -5v with reference to D. So S has the lower potential, or, equivalently, you can say D is at the higher potential. So it is equivalent to saying D is +5v with reference to S.

NascentOxygen said:
I think you might be confusing yourself with multiple negatives here.

If VSD is -5v, then S is -5v with reference to D. So S has the lower potential, or, equivalently, you can say D is at the higher potential. So it is equivalent to saying D is +5v with reference to S.

yes, i think i see it now. If, conventionally and for example, [itex] V_{SD} = V_S - V_D = -5[/itex], then this means [itex]V_S < V_D[/itex], which is what you say.

It follows that VSD = –VDS

still i could not find this conventional definition explicitly nowhere.

Can anyone help me for preparing mcq of electronics??

still i could not find this conventional definition explicitly nowhere.

GE Transistor Manual , General Electric Company, revised seventh edition 1969, pp 524 & 529:

VKJ Circuit voltage between terminals K and J .

K, k Unspecified (general) measurement electrode. Also degrees Kelvin.
J, j Reference electrode

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000U3J62U/?tag=pfamazon01-20

61AIasgbj0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

the way i was taught is "Your meter's red lead goes to first letter, black lead to second letter".
But that was before autoranging digital meters, so we often had to swap our meter leads to get an upscale reading..

I could swear [itex] V_{DS}=V_D-V_S[/itex] ! Say for a N channel MOSFET, the [itex]V_{DS}[/itex] is always positive. For N FET, Drain is always higher than source. For P-Channel FET, Drain is always lower than the source, so you have [itex]V_{DS}[/itex] is always negative.

yungman said:
I could swear [itex] V_{DS}=V_D-V_S[/itex] ! Say for a N channel MOSFET, the [itex]V_{DS}[/itex] is always positive. For N FET, Drain is always higher than source. For P-Channel FET, Drain is always lower than the source, so you have [itex]V_{DS}[/itex] is always negative.

for that N channel in a proper circuit:
red lead on Drain
black lead on Source
meter will show VDS positive;

and for a P channel in a proper circuit, VDS negative.

gulu said:
Can anyone help me for preparing mcq of electronics??
Hi gulu. For help with exam and homework questions go to the homework forum here: https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152 Start a new thread, include details of one question that you are having difficulty with, and show a genuine attempt at answering it. Someone is sure to come by and help you. Guaranteed. :smile:

uzJdb.gif

jim hardy said:
for that N channel in a proper circuit:
red lead on Drain
black lead on Source
meter will show VDS positive;

and for a P channel in a proper circuit, VDS negative.

Exactly.

yungman said:
Say for a N channel MOSFET, the [itex]V_{DS}[/itex] is always positive. For N FET, Drain is always higher than source.
Except when it's not, e.g. when a NMOS is used as a synchronous rectifier. A MOSFET can conduct in either direction.

It's not unknown for an OP to ask a question different from that intended, or at least to be seeming to. If that's the situation here, then mzh should feel free to come back and ask again. :wink:

gnurf said:
Except when it's not, e.g. when a NMOS is used as a synchronous rectifier. A MOSFET can conduct in either direction.

I am talking in general. I know you can even reverse the C and E of a BJT and it will work somewhat also.

NascentOxygen said:
It's not unknown for an OP to ask a question different from that intended, or at least to be seeming to. If that's the situation here, then mzh should feel free to come back and ask again. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback on my question.
No, getting the answer that in V_{SD}, the drain is considered the reference electrode, such that V_{SD} = V_S - V_D was most supportive.

mzh said:
Thanks for the feedback on my question.
No, getting the answer that in V_{SD}, the drain is considered the reference electrode, such that V_{SD} = V_S - V_D was most supportive.

This is the first time I heard of drain being used as reference voltage! BJT, MOSFET and JFET "usually" act as transconductance devices where the collector/drain is the output of the current source. Voltage is set by the load impedance and the power supply voltage. Control is usually done on [itex]V_{GS}[/itex].

I put "usually" because there are ways to use transistor in special ways, I am talking the general amplifier working in lineal situation. I know all about that you can even turn the FET around and use the source as drain and it'll still kind of work.

yungman said:
Control is usually done on [itex]V_{GS}[/itex].

Ok, so is it [itex]V_{GS} = V_G - V_S[/itex]? My question is really only about the notational convention. Otherwise, correct sign will always be random.

mzh said:
Ok, so is it [itex]V_{GS} = V_G - V_S[/itex]? My question is really only about the notational convention. Otherwise, correct sign will always be random.

Yes.

Sign is not random. For NMOSFET, [itex]V_{DS}[/itex] is "usually" positive. That is,. the Drain is higher than the Source. For PMOSFET, Drain is negative so [itex]V_{DS}[/itex] is negative.

yungman said:
Yes.

Sign is not random. For NMOSFET, [itex]V_{DS}[/itex] is "usually" positive. That is,. the Drain is higher than the Source. For PMOSFET, Drain is negative so [itex]V_{DS}[/itex] is negative.

but why then was it problematic for you to read [itex]V_{SD} = V_S - V_D[/itex]? If V_SD = 5V, it means V_S is 5V higher than V_D.

mzh said:
but why then was it problematic for you to read [itex]V_{SD} = V_S - V_D[/itex]? If V_SD = 5V, it means V_S is 5V higher than V_D.

Normally we call it [itex]V_{DS}[/itex] not [itex]V_{SD}[/itex].

yungman said:
Normally we call it [itex]V_{DS}[/itex] not [itex]V_{SD}[/itex].

check out this figure (which was the reason for my post):
[URL=http://picturepush.com/public/8993278][PLAIN]http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/8993278/640/8993278.jpg[/URL][/PLAIN]

from
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v445/n7127/abs/nature05498.html

btw., can anyone tell me if it is permitted to post such a figure on the web?

Last edited:
First time I ever seen it like this, check out all the data sheets of MOSFET and textbooks, it's always [itex]V_{DS}[/itex].

1. What is source-drain voltage?

Source-drain voltage is the potential difference between the source and drain terminals of a field effect transistor (FET). It is the voltage that controls the flow of current through the FET.

2. How is source-drain voltage measured?

Source-drain voltage is typically measured using a voltmeter. The positive lead of the voltmeter is connected to the drain terminal and the negative lead is connected to the source terminal. The voltage reading displayed on the voltmeter is the source-drain voltage.

3. What is the purpose of source-drain voltage in a FET?

The purpose of source-drain voltage is to control the flow of current through the FET. By adjusting the source-drain voltage, the channel between the source and drain can be either turned on or off, allowing for precise regulation of current flow.

4. How is source-drain voltage defined in terms of FET characteristics?

In FET terminology, source-drain voltage is defined as the difference between the source and drain voltages that cause a certain level of current to flow through the FET. This is known as the threshold voltage, and it is an important characteristic for FET operation.

5. What are the typical values of source-drain voltage in FETs?

The typical values of source-drain voltage in FETs can vary depending on the specific type and application of the FET. However, common values range from a few volts to several hundred volts. It is important to consult the specifications of the FET to determine the appropriate source-drain voltage for a specific application.