1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is that always proven?

1. Aug 25, 2013 #1
    Teacher wanted to prove that for that condition to be satisfied ρ must be zero, but the limits give the idea that it applies only when those limits are satisfied. By the way, x>0 and y>0. Is it a universal proof or only for those limits?

rDSbDhA.png

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The given condition is that the equality holds for all x, y > 0. If the limits exist and the functions are continuous (e.g. limx → 0 ex = e0) then it must also hold in the limit.

4. Aug 25, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know what you mean by "universal proof". You have this proposed identity that looks really unlikely to be true unless ##\rho=0##. To refute the identity, all you have to do is find something that implies that ##\rho## must be ##0##. That argument surely works. You could undoubtedly find other arguments that would imply ##\rho=0##.

5. Aug 26, 2013 #4
    But didn't that use the restriction that x->0 and y->1? How did it prove it in general?

6. Aug 26, 2013 #5
    I didn't see this reply at first.

But if it holds for the limit, how does it prove it in general?

7. Aug 26, 2013 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That [itex]\exp(-\rho x y) = 1/((1+\rho x)(1+\rho y))[/itex] is true for all x,y in the case that rho=0 is obvious. That this trivial solution for rho is the only solution in the case that one but not both of x or y is zero is also obvious.

And that is all that is needed. The claim is that [itex]\exp(-\rho x y) = 1/((1+\rho x)(1+\rho y))[/itex] for all x,y>0. Finding any particular x,y that restricts rho to 0 suffices to show that rho must necessarily be zero.

8. Aug 26, 2013 #7
    I don't get this logic. If you find an x and a y that point to ρ = a then how does that prove ρ must always be a? There is something missing in the explanations in text. I'm sure it's possible that's correct but I don't see it when reading the texts here about it.

9. Aug 26, 2013 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have an identity of the form ##F(x,y,\rho) = 0## that must hold for all x and y. For more-or-less arbitrary values of x and y it might not be easy to see what this implies about ##\rho##, but by taking ##x, y \to 0## we can quite easily see that we must have ##\rho = a##. Once we do have ##\rho = a## we can plug that back into F to check that, indeed, ##F(x,y,a) \equiv 0,## as desired.

10. Aug 26, 2013 #9

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is not what the conjecture is saying. To the contrary, for any given x,y>0 there are three real solutions (not necessarily distinct) of ρ such that eρxy=(1+ρx)(1+ρy).

11. Aug 26, 2013 #10
    Hence it's insufficient for the needs of the exercise. It was explicitly asked to prove that "only when p=0" that expression can be true.

12. Aug 26, 2013 #11

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you understand the difference between "for all" and "there exists"?

13. Aug 26, 2013 #12
    And I'm not convinced it proves it for all. What am I missing?

I keep hearing "If I set x and y tending to those numbers ρ must be 0". Yeah, fine, that's obvious. Why does that restrict ρ to one number?

14. Aug 26, 2013 #13

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is NOT what it says. It says that something holds FOR ALL x,y. Of course if ρ ≠ 0 the equation F(x,y,ρ) = 0 has some (x,y) solutions; for any given value of ρ you will get a curve C(ρ) in x-y space so that for all points (x,y) in the curve, the equation is satisfied. However, that means the equation is satisfied on the curve, not on all of x-y space. If you change the value of ρ you will get a different curve. What the result is saying is that for the special value ρ = 0, and for only that value, the "curve" spreads out to become the whole of x-y space!

15. Aug 26, 2013 #14
    I suspect the answer lies closer to the first reply. That it's related to continuity.

16. Aug 26, 2013 #15

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@cdux: You were given a proposed identity. That means it must be true for all x and y. ##\rho## is presumably a constant so it doesn't change. So if it is shown to be zero under any circumstance or argument, it is zero period. Here's a simpler example of the same idea:
    $$(x + y)^2=x^2 + cxy+y^2$$Show that ##c## must b ##2##. You could put, for example, ##x=1,~y=1## in both sides to see it. You could try lots of other values to see it too. Nothing but ##c=2## can work. Any other value of ##c## won't work when ##x=1,~y=1##. Your "identity" is a little more complicated, but it's the same idea.

17. Aug 26, 2013 #16
    That makes perfect sense.

Per the first reply, doesn't continuity play a role?

18. Aug 26, 2013 #17

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it plays a role in the particular argument that was given. But they could have used other arguments. Any logical argument at all that shows that ##\rho=0## would do. Just like in my simpler example, you could have used other values of x and y.

Your original problem could probably be worked by choosing particular x and y also. It's just that you would need a calculator to work it out, where the limit argument they gave is "simpler" that way.

19. Aug 26, 2013 #18

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually, why don't you try ##x=1,~y=1## in your problem. See that you can get ##\rho=0## out of that. It's easy.

20. Aug 26, 2013 #19

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's not quite right. One has to show that ρ=0 is a solution under all circumstances *and* that this is the only solution under all circumstances. The first condition is trivial to prove; just substitute ρ=0 and you get 1=1. The second condition is where the given proof comes into to play. If there is some circumstance where the only solution is the trivial solution ρ=0, then that's all one needs.

21. Aug 26, 2013 #20

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How about ρ ≈ -1.47767 and ρ ≈ 2.51286? Both of are also solutions to eρxy=(1+ρx)(1+ρy) at x=y=1. The problem is that these non-trivial solutions for this specific x,y pair are not valid for all x,y>0. Use some other values of x and y and the equality no longer holds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted