Is the Proven Condition of ρ=0 Universal or Limited to Specific Limits?

• Thread starter cdux
  • Start date
In summary: The given condition is that the equality holds for all x, y > 0. If the limits exist and the functions are continuous (e.g. limx → 0 ex = e0) then it must also hold in the limit.You have an identity of the form ##F(x,y,\rho) = 0## that must hold for all x and y. For more-or-less arbitrary values of x and y it might not be easy to see what this implies about ##\rho##, but by taking ##x, y \to 0## we can quite easily see that we must have ##\rho = a##. Once we do have ##\rho =
cdux
Teacher wanted to prove that for that condition to be satisfied ρ must be zero, but the limits give the idea that it applies only when those limits are satisfied. By the way, x>0 and y>0. Is it a universal proof or only for those limits?

rDSbDhA.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The given condition is that the equality holds for all x, y > 0. If the limits exist and the functions are continuous (e.g. limx → 0 ex = e0) then it must also hold in the limit.

Likes 1 person
cdux said:
Teacher wanted to prove that for that condition to be satisfied ρ must be zero, but the limits give the idea that it applies only when those limits are satisfied. By the way, x>0 and y>0. Is it a universal proof or only for those limits?

rDSbDhA.png

I don't know what you mean by "universal proof". You have this proposed identity that looks really unlikely to be true unless ##\rho=0##. To refute the identity, all you have to do is find something that implies that ##\rho## must be ##0##. That argument surely works. You could undoubtedly find other arguments that would imply ##\rho=0##.

LCKurtz said:
I don't know what you mean by "universal proof". You have this proposed identity that looks really unlikely to be true unless ##\rho=0##. To refute the identity, all you have to do is find something that implies that ##\rho## must be ##0##. That argument surely works. You could undoubtedly find other arguments that would imply ##\rho=0##.

But didn't that use the restriction that x->0 and y->1? How did it prove it in general?

haruspex said:
The given condition is that the equality holds for all x, y > 0. If the limits exist and the functions are continuous (e.g. limx → 0 ex = e0) then it must also hold in the limit.

I didn't see this reply at first.

But if it holds for the limit, how does it prove it in general?

That [itex]\exp(-\rho x y) = 1/((1+\rho x)(1+\rho y))[/itex] is true for all x,y in the case that rho=0 is obvious. That this trivial solution for rho is the only solution in the case that one but not both of x or y is zero is also obvious.

And that is all that is needed. The claim is that [itex]\exp(-\rho x y) = 1/((1+\rho x)(1+\rho y))[/itex] for all x,y>0. Finding any particular x,y that restricts rho to 0 suffices to show that rho must necessarily be zero.

D H said:
Finding any particular x,y that restricts rho to 0 suffices to show that rho must necessarily be zero.

I don't get this logic. If you find an x and a y that point to ρ = a then how does that prove ρ must always be a? There is something missing in the explanations in text. I'm sure it's possible that's correct but I don't see it when reading the texts here about it.

cdux said:
I don't get this logic. If you find an x and a y that point to ρ = a then how does that prove ρ must always be a? There is something missing in the explanations in text. I'm sure it's possible that's correct but I don't see it when reading the texts here about it.

You have an identity of the form ##F(x,y,\rho) = 0## that must hold for all x and y. For more-or-less arbitrary values of x and y it might not be easy to see what this implies about ##\rho##, but by taking ##x, y \to 0## we can quite easily see that we must have ##\rho = a##. Once we do have ##\rho = a## we can plug that back into F to check that, indeed, ##F(x,y,a) \equiv 0,## as desired.

cdux said:
That is not what the conjecture is saying. To the contrary, for any given x,y>0 there are three real solutions (not necessarily distinct) of ρ such that eρxy=(1+ρx)(1+ρy).

D H said:
That is not what the conjecture is saying. To the contrary, for any given x,y>0 there are three real solutions (not necessarily distinct) of ρ such that eρxy=(1+ρx)(1+ρy).

Hence it's insufficient for the needs of the exercise. It was explicitly asked to prove that "only when p=0" that expression can be true.

Do you understand the difference between "for all" and "there exists"?

D H said:
Do you understand the difference between "for all" and "there exists"?

And I'm not convinced it proves it for all. What am I missing?

I keep hearing "If I set x and y tending to those numbers ρ must be 0". Yeah, fine, that's obvious. Why does that restrict ρ to one number?

cdux said:
Hence it's insufficient for the needs of the exercise. It was explicitly asked to prove that "only when p=0" that expression can be true.

That is NOT what it says. It says that something holds FOR ALL x,y. Of course if ρ ≠ 0 the equation F(x,y,ρ) = 0 has some (x,y) solutions; for any given value of ρ you will get a curve C(ρ) in x-y space so that for all points (x,y) in the curve, the equation is satisfied. However, that means the equation is satisfied on the curve, not on all of x-y space. If you change the value of ρ you will get a different curve. What the result is saying is that for the special value ρ = 0, and for only that value, the "curve" spreads out to become the whole of x-y space!

I suspect the answer lies closer to the first reply. That it's related to continuity.

@cdux: You were given a proposed identity. That means it must be true for all x and y. ##\rho## is presumably a constant so it doesn't change. So if it is shown to be zero under any circumstance or argument, it is zero period. Here's a simpler example of the same idea:
$$(x + y)^2=x^2 + cxy+y^2$$Show that ##c## must b ##2##. You could put, for example, ##x=1,~y=1## in both sides to see it. You could try lots of other values to see it too. Nothing but ##c=2## can work. Any other value of ##c## won't work when ##x=1,~y=1##. Your "identity" is a little more complicated, but it's the same idea.

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
ρ is presumably a constant so it doesn't change

That makes perfect sense.

Per the first reply, doesn't continuity play a role?

cdux said:
That makes perfect sense.

Per the first reply, doesn't continuity play a role?

Yes, it plays a role in the particular argument that was given. But they could have used other arguments. Any logical argument at all that shows that ##\rho=0## would do. Just like in my simpler example, you could have used other values of x and y.

Your original problem could probably be worked by choosing particular x and y also. It's just that you would need a calculator to work it out, where the limit argument they gave is "simpler" that way.

LCKurtz said:
Your original problem could probably be worked by choosing particular x and y also. It's just that you would need a calculator to work it out, where the limit argument they gave is "simpler" that way.

Actually, why don't you try ##x=1,~y=1## in your problem. See that you can get ##\rho=0## out of that. It's easy.

LCKurtz said:
So if it is shown to be zero under any circumstance or argument, it is zero period.
That's not quite right. One has to show that ρ=0 is a solution under all circumstances *and* that this is the only solution under all circumstances. The first condition is trivial to prove; just substitute ρ=0 and you get 1=1. The second condition is where the given proof comes into to play. If there is some circumstance where the only solution is the trivial solution ρ=0, then that's all one needs.

LCKurtz said:
Actually, why don't you try ##x=1,~y=1## in your problem. See that you can get ##\rho=0## out of that. It's easy.
How about ρ ≈ -1.47767 and ρ ≈ 2.51286? Both of are also solutions to eρxy=(1+ρx)(1+ρy) at x=y=1. The problem is that these non-trivial solutions for this specific x,y pair are not valid for all x,y>0. Use some other values of x and y and the equality no longer holds.

D H said:
That's not quite right. One has to show that ρ=0 is a solution under all circumstances *and* that this is the only solution under all circumstances. The first condition is trivial to prove; just substitute ρ=0 and you get 1=1. The second condition is where the given proof comes into to play. If there is some circumstance where the only solution is the trivial solution ρ=0, then that's all one needs.

D H said:
How about ρ ≈ -1.47767 and ρ ≈ 2.51286? Both of are also solutions to eρxy=(1+ρx)(1+ρy) at x=y=1. The problem is that these non-trivial solutions for this specific x,y pair are not valid for all x,y>0. Use some other values of x and y and the equality no longer holds.

Yes, of course, I know that. My comments were made in the context that the proposed equation is claimed to be an identity (as I mentioned in post #15), not that we are proving it to be an identity. So "if this is an identity, then ##\rho=0##" is all that is being argued. Similarly for my example. And that's all the OP mentioned.

I had no idea what an identity is but it appears to be one since the relation is formed by combining probability functions that do consider ρ to be distinct for a particular distribution.

It also comes to reason they are continuous which might play a role..

Hands up, I realize I could have revealed that information sooner.

D H said:

Sorry DH, I responded rather quickly this am didn't really address this. Coincidentally I had also made an arithmetic mistake so I only got ##\rho=0##. Your point is well taken.

1. How is scientific evidence always proven?

Scientific evidence is proven through the scientific method, which involves making observations, formulating hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to come to a conclusion.

2. Can scientific evidence ever be proven wrong?

Yes, scientific evidence can be proven wrong if new evidence or information is discovered that contradicts the previous findings. This is why the scientific method involves constantly testing and revising hypotheses.

3. Why is it important to have evidence to support scientific claims?

Evidence is crucial in science because it provides support for a claim or hypothesis, allowing others to replicate and verify the findings. This helps to ensure the validity and reliability of scientific results.

4. Are there different types of evidence used in science?

Yes, there are various types of evidence used in science, including empirical evidence, which is based on direct observation or experience, and theoretical evidence, which is based on mathematical or logical reasoning.

5. How do scientists ensure that their evidence is accurate and unbiased?

Scientists use rigorous methods and protocols to ensure that their evidence is accurate and unbiased. This includes controlling variables, using control groups, and peer-reviewing their work before it is published in scientific journals.